The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I doubt you have accurately described Fauc's or Birx's opinions.  Everything I've seen shows them as being more circumspect than you describe.  By all means, take Fauci's and Birx's opinions over mine.  Just try to understand what they are really saying. 

Here you go, listen for yourself

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government's leading infectious diseases expect, said testing for infection would need to be essentially instant, and frequent, to guarantee with certainty that someone isn't currently infected, which is why antibody testing and tracing will be important. But while testing for coronavirus is a key piece of tackling the virus, Fauci warned it's just one piece of it. 

"The emphasis we've been hearing is that testing is everything and it isn't," Fauci said. However, he also suggested there would be "enough tests to allow us to take this country safely to Phase 1."

So either you didn’t watch the presser from yesterday or your inability to properly digest what you are hearing is on full display.  Only one of the two.   Which is it?

Edited by Magox

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

It is a question of leadership leading up to and  in times of crisis.  I certainly understand why a Trumpster would want to avoid it.

You are being melodramatic.  Hitler came into power during 1933 and the Japanese were invaders on the Asian continent at the same time.  Roosevelt was not thrown into key decisions within a couple of months of both of those events.  The US Navy build up was really minimal during the 1930's and was relatively easy to sell to Congress as another jobs program.  

1 hour ago, KRC said:

UPDATE: Now 145 patients. 7 died and 7 are in the hospital. 10 are waiting on test results. 47 are infected with the virus. 7 are waiting on test results.

My mother has gotten two letters so far about COVID-19 cases (one in March, one last week)  in my father's nursing home.  They can lock people down, but the staff still goes in and out and interacts with people outside the nursing home. Without full PPE gear, the outlook is grim.

I hope your in-laws are well and do not get this.

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

My mother has gotten two letters so far about COVID-19 cases (one in March, one last week)  in my father's nursing home.  They can lock people down, but the staff still goes in and out and interacts with people outside the nursing home. Without full PPE gear, the outlook is grim.

I hope your in-laws are well and do not get this.

Thank you. Nobody but staff are allowed into the building. Deliveries are left outside the building and the receptionist goes out (in full gear) to get the packages and wipes them down. The staff are in gowns, masks, face shields and gloves. When they go into a patient's room, they put on a second gown over top of their first gown. As soon as they leave the room, they dispose of the second gown. The facility has Zoom meetings for families three times a week to give them updates.

Positive vibes to your family that your father is able to stay safe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Here you go, listen for yourself

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government's leading infectious diseases expect, said testing for infection would need to be essentially instant, and frequent, to guarantee with certainty that someone isn't currently infected, which is why antibody testing and tracing will be important. But while testing for coronavirus is a key piece of tackling the virus, Fauci warned it's just one piece of it. 

"The emphasis we've been hearing is that testing is everything and it isn't," Fauci said. However, he also suggested there would be "enough tests to allow us to take this country safely to Phase 1."

Right,  testing isn't everything.  I never claimed it was.  It is a large portion.

Nowhere in your link did Fauci say that we were ready for Phase 1.  He talked about closing the gap.  He put no time frame on when that would be.  Trump says May 1 or sooner, of course he said Easter earlier.

4 minutes ago, KRC said:

Thank you. Nobody but staff are allowed into the building. Deliveries are left outside the building and the receptionist goes out (in full gear) to get the packages and wipes them down. The staff are in gowns, masks, face shields and gloves. When they go into a patient's room, they put on a second gown over top of their first gown. As soon as they leave the room, they dispose of the second gown. The facility has Zoom meetings for families three times a week to give them updates.

Positive vibes to your family that your father is able to stay safe.

Same for his nursing home. When my mother delivers something is taken from her in between the locked doors. She's not allowed in the facility.

The people who have (had) the COVID-19 are employees. One is in administration (the March case), the recent case was an aide. They have locked down the floor that aide worked on tighter (not sure what the steps are, that is all my mother said).

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Right,  testing isn't everything.  I never claimed it was.  It is a large portion.

Nowhere in your link did Fauci say that we were ready for Phase 1.  He talked about closing the gap.  He put no time frame on when that would be.  Trump says May 1 or sooner, of course he said Easter earlier.

He said it.  It’s a direct quote.   If you are not going to acknowledge that this is a direct quote out of his mouth then don’t bother responding.   I don’t want to waste any more time on trying to convince someone who denies 100% verifiable facts

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

He said it.  It’s a direct quote.   If you are not going to acknowledge that this is a direct quote out of his mouth then don’t bother responding.   I don’t want to waste any more time on trying to convince someone who denies 100% verifiable facts

I watched the entire link, apparently much closer that you did.  Point out the time stamp when he said we were ready for phase 1.  He talks about what we need.  Not what we currently have, nor does he say when we will be there.

31 minutes ago, Magox said:

Hmmm.  Should I take “Scraps” opinion who only posts dim-witted partisan posts all day long or should I trust Dr Fauci, the CDC director and Dr Birx who are some of the most world renowned health experts in the world?

Tough decision

There may be enough tests available in total, but not every place has them and definitely not every place has enough nurses to take them, and even more definitely because of the way current tests are done, most people are not being tested. Until the serology kits are available widely (earliest guess I’ve seen for this is first week in May), this will continue to  be the case. 

The “tests are available” line is a political backpat and technically accurate but not practically so. 

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

There may be enough tests available in total, but not every place has them and definitely not every place has enough nurses to take them, and even more definitely because of the way current tests are done, most people are not being tested. Until the serology kits are available widely (earliest guess I’ve seen for this is first week in May), this will continue to  be the case. 

The “tests are available” line is a political backpat and technically accurate but not practically so. 

That’s not what was said in the presser.  FEMA director said that in 93% of the country that there is  testing capacity within a 10 square mile radius.   

It’s not a “political back pat”.  It’s clear that by the sound of what you are implying and what many others believe that this seems to be a federal government issue.  It’s not

This is a state and local government logistical issue.  It’s up to state and local governments to fill in the gaps.  They know their states logistical hurdles better than the federal government.  It’s the federal governments role to provide support.  The idea that they will micromanage the entire operation is absurd.  

Which is why the Federal Government is allowing state and local governments to begin Phase one on their own timelines.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...objectively (screw ANY useless political partisanship crap; it DOES NOTHING), wasn't that the general consensus early on?.....didn't the world think China's containment (NOW know to be a massive lie infested coverup) was accurate?.....look objectively at comments ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE early on in the US....no need for me to waste time citing examples....you can do that lookup....so once AGAIN, erasing Trump from the picture, who is YOUR leader of choice that exudes your confidence in leading this?

Tsai Ing-wen.

also, what is your opinion of multiple states' unprepardness for a similar (this is BEYOND similar) event, REGARDLESS of party affiliation?.....alarmingly low stockpiles are the Fed's fault?

The feds own quite a bit of blame for this shortfall.  That is what the strategic stockpile is for.  This stockpile has been shortchanged for years and multiple administrations but Trump tried to cut it further.  He asked for less money every year that he has been in office than he was granted.  His administration chiseled down the HHS bid for $2 billion for PPE and ventilators on Feb 5 and sent a low ball  the estimate of $2.5 billion  for dealing with the problem on Feb 25.

33 minutes ago, Magox said:

Edited by Scraps

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

That’s not what was said in the presser.  FEMA director said that in 93% of the country that there is  testing capacity within a 10 square mile radius.   

It’s not a “political back pat”.  It’s clear that by the sound of what you are implying and what many others believe that this seems to be a federal government issue.  It’s not

This is a state and local government logistical issue.  It’s up to state and local governments to fill in the gaps.  They know their states logistical hurdles better than the federal government.  It’s the federal governments role to provide support.  The idea that they will micromanage the entire operation is absurd.  

Which is why the Federal Government is allowing state and local governments to begin Phase one on their own timelines.

We are in a state of emergency.  The resources of the states is limited, which is what the Feds step in to help.  The feds are letting the state and local governments decide when they are ready to open because that was always within the state and local governments purview.  The ideas that the feds are allowing this is a distraction from the fact that Trump didn't know that he did not have the power he claimed to have but it unable to admit to being wrong about anything ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Coronavirus: Japan doctors warn of health system 'break down' as cases surge

Doctors in Japan have warned that the country's medical system could collapse amid a wave of new coronavirus cases.

Emergency rooms have been unable to treat some patients with serious health conditions due to the extra burden caused by the virus, officials say.

One ambulance carrying a patient with coronavirus symptoms was turned away by 80 hospitals before he could be seen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52336388

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

Doctors in Japan have warned that the country's medical system could collapse amid a wave of new coronavirus cases.

Emergency rooms have been unable to treat some patients with serious health conditions due to the extra burden caused by the virus, officials say.

One ambulance carrying a patient with coronavirus symptoms was turned away by 80 hospitals before he could be seen.

Sounds like Japan didn't take appropriate action fast enough. 

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

That is sad. Looks like they are getting their second wave.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

We are in a state of emergency.  The resources of the states is limited, which is what the Feds step in to help.  The feds are letting the state and local governments decide when they are ready to open because that was always within the state and local governments purview.  The ideas that the feds are allowing this is a distraction from the fact that Trump didn't know that he did not have the power he claimed to have but it unable to admit to being wrong about anything ever.

...so then states, regardless of party leadership, get a pass for unpreparedness?........shouldn't their leadership have contingency plans within reason for emergency prepardness?....

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

Many people crammed into a small area unfortunately.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then states, regardless of party leadership, get a pass for unpreparedness?........shouldn't their leadership have contingency plans within reason for emergency prepardness?....

I didn't say that.  The national stockpile exists because it was understood that no state would be fully prepared for such a disaster.  Are you saying that this pandemic was within reason for the states to deal with?