The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, Troll Toll said:

I’m calling it now. With these differing reopen dates between states, the first states to open will be flooded with job applications from people in locked down states. If Democrat governors get too cute with their dates, people will flee their states at even greater rates.

I do not think that is farfetched at all.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I’m calling it now. With these differing reopen dates between states, the first states to open will be flooded with job applications from people in locked down states. If Democrat governors get too cute with their dates, people will flee their states at even greater rates.

Are you kidding?  People will flee their states to go out for a pizza. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I go into work two days per week now. I have very little to do other than to be here in case of an emergency.

I'm not sure what's more boring, not working for 5 days straight, or getting out of the house to go to work... and do next to nothing for 8 hours.

Think of it this way. You might be bored but at least you're not as bad off as 3rd Chair who's stuck in an office under the stairs that doubles as janitor's closet. 

• Haha (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

De Blasio on Fox just said July/August is when NYC can start to think about opening up again. 

:lol: 

Never. Gonna. Happen. 

...the loud thud in the background was Big Fredo collapsing on the floor......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

It’s funny but the same people that lauded Trump for discontinuing flights from China are the same ones that support the potential lifting of the lockdown. How can you be both at this time without a vaccine or cure in place?

2 minutes ago, Justice said:

It’s funny but the same people that lauded Trump for discontinuing flights from China are the same ones that support the potential lifting of the lockdown. How can you be both at this time without a vaccine or cure in place?

It's not a "full go"/"full stop" choice is how. 

There are ways to open up safely that don't include allowing foreign travel quite yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Anything other than taking a granular approach to re-opening the states is going to be a complete and utter disaster.  I hear Cuomo telling everyone we have flattened the curve in NY when 600 people a day are still dying in the state, and the cases have tripled in my county in the last three days.   I'd prefer they wait to reopen the states until they have a vaccine, otherwise this is thing is going to ravage the country on a large scale to appease people's want to be out in society.   Move to fast on this and there wont be a society to go back to.

It will be completely inane to open up full states on a given day.  It needs to staggered and NYS has no business reopening anything until Summer.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Justice said:

I wouldn't open poopie to China. Ever.

Many people have questioned if the "cure" will be worse than the disease. Many have also questioned if there is a realistic plan in place barring a vaccine. (I guess we find that out tonight.)

Just because people support President Trump, do not assume they blindly, continually, support President Trump in all things. There are even people in this sub-forum who have been unhappy with how he has handled this in real-time (although hindsight is always 20/20).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Justice said:

It has to end sometime.  The death toll from the virus isn't the only toll this is taking.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anything other than taking a granular approach to re-opening the states is going to be a complete and utter disaster.  I hear Cuomo telling everyone we have flattened the curve in NY when 600 people a day are still dying in the state, and the cases have tripled in my county in the last three days.   I'd prefer they wait to reopen the states until they have a vaccine, otherwise this is thing is going to ravage the country on a large scale to appease people's want to be out in society.   Move to fast on this and there wont be a society to go back to.

It will be completely inane to open up full states on a given day.  It needs to staggered and NYS has no business reopening anything until Summer.

There are millions of people that were living paycheck to paycheck BEFORE the virus. Now the paychecks have stopped. They don’t have months to just cross their fingers and hope for the best.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If NYS waits until summer to reopen,  there will be no NYS to reopen.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's not a "full go"/"full stop" choice is how. 

There are ways to open up safely that don't include allowing foreign travel quite yet. 

The danger is already here. 

47 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I don't see this happening to a sizable degree.  Sure, somebody in Coudersport, PA might apply for a job in Wellsville, NY if NY opens and PA is still locked down.  But most of these out of state applicants will have problems in terms of a place to live and this will be apparent to employers.  Also, employers will be concerned that out of staters will readily leave once the home state opens back up.  Further, most employers will most likely go with people that they had ahead of the crisis as they were known quantities.  Sure, some employers will make changes but as to what concerns most people in WNY I see very little change ahead.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wouldn't open poopie to China. Ever.

Many people have questioned if the "cure" will be worse than the disease. Many have also questioned if there is a realistic plan in place barring a vaccine. (I guess we find that out tonight.)

Just because people support President Trump, do not assume they blindly, continually, support President Trump in all things. There are even people in this sub-forum who have been unhappy with how he has handled this in real-time (although hindsight is always 20/20).

I didn’t mean open things up for China. What I meant was that decision was made to prevent the spread of the virus here but the virus IS here already. If you lift the lockdown there will a bigger second wave than the first. 

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

There is no chance, zero, that we wait 1-2-3 years for a vaccine to reopen. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If NYS waits until summer to reopen,  there will be no NYS to reopen.

If DeBlasio is serious about a NYC lockdown going for a few more months minimum there won't be a NYC as it will get burned to the ground by rioting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

There are millions of people that were living paycheck to paycheck BEFORE the virus. Now the paychecks have stopped. They don’t have months to just cross their fingers and hope for the best.

If they rush back to work they either atent going to not have a life to worry about paycheck to paycheck for or they will be sitting in a hospital tent counting the months anyways.  People need to start being more resourceful outside of just waiting for an unemployment check.  It sucks but thats the reality of whats going on.   A lot of jobs wont be there to go back to.

Just now, Justice said:

I didn’t mean open things up for China. What I meant was that decision was made to prevent the spread of the virus here but the virus IS here already. If you lift the lockdown there will a bigger second wave than the first. 

Maybe so, maybe not. Do not discount that people have built immunity/antibodies and we have something now that can help cure the virus. Things are in better shape than they were a few months ago. We have ventilators, a treatment, tests, etc.