The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

As NY had already said last week it would start following this policy, curious if that accounts for at least some of the spike in reported deaths we saw yesterday.  If people that did a month ago are getting added to the daily totals, we're going to see elevated death tolls until they've gone through the entire list.

We'll probably see the effect today.  Yesterday's statewide total increase was 779, but city is saying that 3,700 will be added to the count.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As NY had already said last week it would start following this policy, curious if that accounts for at least some of the spike in reported deaths we saw yesterday.  If people that did a month ago are getting added to the daily totals, we're going to see elevated death tolls until they've gone through the entire list.

If they died a month ago wouldn’t they be added to the total for the day they actually died? 

AP News jumping on board - putting here & China thread.

China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

Six days.

That delay from Jan. 14 to Jan. 20 was neither the first mistake made by Chinese officials at all levels in confronting the outbreak, nor the longest lag, as governments around the world have dragged their feet for weeks and even months in addressing the virus.

But the delay by the first country to face the new coronavirus came at a critical time — the beginning of the outbreak. China’s attempt to walk a line between alerting the public and avoiding panic set the stage for a pandemic that has infected almost 2 million people and taken more than 126,000 lives.

Edited by GG

expect something similar here in the states.

Coronavirus lockdowns could end in months if Australians are willing to have their movements monitored

The battle against coronavirus is going hi-tech, with Australians to be asked to download a phone app that will monitor their movements — but only with their express permission.

The Federal Government believes restrictions on the community could be eased in the months ahead if there's more testing, greater surveillance of those infected by the coronavirus and much faster tracing of those they've had contact with.

It is developing a mobile phone app with the private sector to help monitor Australians' daily interactions.

The ABC understands the app will be ready in a fortnight but the Government believes it would need at least 40 per cent of Australians to voluntarily sign up for it to be effective.

The app would be opt-in only and not mandatory. ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GG said:

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  These were the cases where the deceased never went into the hospital, died at home and were never tested.  Don't know the certainty of the cause, but according to EMTs they were making up to 5x the number of these pick ups than normal.

I don't doubt that there are numerous deaths where the patient hadn't tested positive, but like you, I do think it's probably somewhere in between.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don't doubt that there are numerous deaths where the patient hadn't tested positive, but like you, I do think it's probably somewhere in between.

The issue is that these cases weren't tested at all, and the city is basing it on the reporting of the EMT call.  It's especially acute because for two weeks EMTs have been under orders not to bring in cardiac arrest patients to hospitals if they cannot revive the person in the field.

3 minutes ago, GG said:

The issue is that these cases weren't tested at all, and the city is basing it on the reporting of the EMT call.  It's especially acute because for two weeks EMTs have been under orders not to bring in cardiac arrest patients to hospitals if they cannot revive the person in the field.

Even without the virus there are over 500 deaths per day in NYC. I’m not sure what the fixation on the previous week’s death count is supposed to prove. Seems to me that the focus should all be on the now more informed CURRENT week, and there the trend is definitely heading down...no?

April 15, 2020 CNN

BREAKING NEWS: The Center For Disease Control has reported that a research laboratory in Suffolk County on Long island has discovered a new variation of the Covid-19 virus that not only can be as deadly as the old version but spreads much more rapidly, especially among family members. Formally named IDGAS* it is also known as The Fredo Virus. NYS Governor Andrew Cuomo was asked about this development and replied, "what brother"?

*Idon'tgiveashit

• Haha (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The Michigan Governor is a real winner:

"Everytime you ask a low income person to come out and fill up their gas tanks and go get food, it's additional opportunity for exposure."

I wonder if she subscribes to the Joe Biden "Poor kids are just as talented as white kids"  school of thought?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Even without the virus there are over 500 deaths per day in NYC. I’m not sure what the fixation on the previous week’s death count is supposed to prove. Seems to me that the focus should all be on the now more informed CURRENT week, and there the trend is definitely heading down...no?

This has been discussed before.  The normalized number of deaths in NYC are 150-200/day.  It's important to get both the historic & new numbers.  NYC deaths are still high, but new cases are dropping.  NJ is now the epicenter as it's about 5 days behind NYC

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

expect something similar here in the states.

Coronavirus lockdowns could end in months if Australians are willing to have their movements monitored

The battle against coronavirus is going hi-tech, with Australians to be asked to download a phone app that will monitor their movements — but only with their express permission.

The Federal Government believes restrictions on the community could be eased in the months ahead if there's more testing, greater surveillance of those infected by the coronavirus and much faster tracing of those they've had contact with.

It is developing a mobile phone app with the private sector to help monitor Australians' daily interactions.

The ABC understands the app will be ready in a fortnight but the Government believes it would need at least 40 per cent of Australians to voluntarily sign up for it to be effective.

The app would be opt-in only and not mandatory. ...

I think most people would agree as long as they don’t tell their wife.

53 minutes ago, GG said:

This has been discussed before.  The normalized number of deaths in NYC are 150-200/day.  It's important to get both the historic & new numbers.  NYC deaths are still high, but new cases are dropping.  NJ is now the epicenter as it's about 5 days behind NYC

I’d calculate it as more than that. If the population of the metro area is 10,000,000 people and they live to be on average, 70 years old wouldn’t that  be 400 deaths per day?

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’d calculate it as more than that. If the population of the metro area is 10,000,000 people and they live to be on average, 70 years old wouldn’t that  be 400 deaths per day?

Same discussion as before.  NYC life expectancy is 81.2, higher than national average BTW.    The last available official stats are from 2017, and based on actual data, there were avg 149 deaths/day. 

How many people die in New York every day?

In 2015 there were 153,623 That comes to 420.88 a day with heart disease and cancer as leading causes.

As for New York city, with a figure of one death every 9.1 minutes (2015) per Population Facts then that translates into,

6.59.3 deaths per hour x 24 = 158.23 a day and thus 57,753.95 a year. year for New York city.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-die-in-New-York-every-day