MNF = Overrated

CJPearl2

you nailed it brother. MNF for me is a part of life. I don't think I  have missed a game in 25 years. Howard Cosell told me about John Lennon getting shot.

305562[/snapback]

Yeah. The beauty and pagentry of that 9-6 game (all FGs) a few years back is reason enough to keep watching MNF. I can never get enough of watching Dallas vs Arizona, or Dallas vs Green Bay, or Dallas vs the NY Giants, or Dallas vs Philadelphia, or Dallas vs...

MNF was a part of my childhood and was required watching, but that was before it became a caricature of what it once was, with their Hank Williams song, boring a** matchups featuring major media market teams, graphics that always end up with something exploding, and, worst of all, the hiring of John Madden.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MNF is totally overrated !!

Each year it gets worse and worse. I prefer Sunday Night Football to be honest. Long gone are the days of Cosell and the crew and he huge ratings.

I could care less if the Bills are on MNF - which means the less I have to listen to John Madden's incessant babble.

305434[/snapback]

You are someone who gets it and is not stuck in the 80's or early 90's when it comes to MNF.

I don't care who is playing, who is announcing, what day of the week or what time it is......if it's NFL football, I'm watching it.

305799[/snapback]

Do you care about the game's quality? I love football as much as the next person, but I won't watch some crappy game just because it is football.

Do you care about the game's quality?  I love football as much as the next person, but I won't watch some crappy game just because it is football.

305803[/snapback]

I'm tuning in for the entire game, unless it becomes a blow out by half time. Sometimes games that appear to be snore fests on paper turn out to be exciting games.

Any game can turn out to be a "quality" game. Every MNF match up doesn't have to be between two Super Bowl juggernauts for me to be entertained.

Do you care about the game's quality?  I love football as much as the next person, but I won't watch some crappy game just because it is football.

305803[/snapback]

Could not agree more. I love football, but if there are two teams that are 2-10 playing, I will not watch.

305803[/snapback]

I completely care about quality, there is no question. I'd much rather see a good, heated rivalry or even more divisional games in primetime slots rather than what is perceived by the league suits as teams of national interest (like the Skins or Cowboys).

But here's the thing: the times I remember most about the NFL are these very times right now. There is no football except for whatever re-run is on the NFL Network, or whatever topic TSW discusses that doesn't revolve around TV shows or voting for hot teen-age chicks from TV shows. Plus, football is my only sport. The rest is downtime to me.

So when the games are on, I look forward to and savor them all. Sometimes you get a bad cut of meat with a bunch of grizzle on it, but I eat it anyway because I know I will soon go eight months with no steak at all.

Wow! Didn't mean to cause this much of a stir.

Maybe I feel MNF is now overrated because I was born in the mid/late-70s and didn't get to see MNF in its hayday. I loved watching it when I was a kid and up through a couple years ago. But what I was saying is that the quality of MNF has fell off so much in recent years. The over-hyped players (Favre, Moss, Vick this year), Dennis Miller, the "Horse-Trailer", the stupid intro-skits, etc....

I love football as much as anyone. Have the NFL package out here in CA - watch most of the games, be it a Bills game or not. But what I was trying to say was that IN MY OPINION - and you know what they say about opinions - MNF has become overrated - and not as good. Maybe this is because we long for thequality of the old program - and can't get it anymore.

I agree that it is overrated. I am of the opinion that most people watch MNF for what it once was, not for what it currently is. It's become tradition to them and regardless of the current state of the program, they'll continue to watch it out of loyalty to an iconic TV show. Me, I just can't stand to watch it now. I won't say I'd never watch it (if the Bills were on, I'd watch, of course), but it isn't a must watch show for me anymore.

...with their Hank Williams song ... graphics that always end up with something exploding ...

LOL, I hate that song, and the obligatory exploding graphics are something I never really thought about until you said it - it's true.

As a bonus for me, a Florida car dealership uses the MNF song to further torture me - 'are you ready for a truck, or a sport utilitee-hee?' Ugh. I usually turn the game on, but I'm often doing something else by halftime.

Could not agree more.  I love football, but if there are two teams that are 2-10 playing, I will not watch.

305810[/snapback]

last year, the Pats @ Phins...29-28!!!! whatta game. wonder how many people didn't watch it because of the "lopsided" matchup.

how about these lousy games, at least on paper:

Dallas @ Wash...close one....21-18

KC @ Balt......27-24 Great game!

Tampa @ STL 28-21 close game again.

Dallas @ Seattle 43-39...one of the best games I saw all year

KC @ TEN...these 2 teams sucked right? that game was very explosive...49-38!!!

these games were better than the supposed "marquee matchups" the rest of the year on MNF.

It's football, and anything can happen. I love the NFL. Turn off the volume on the TV and enjoy the games!!!

It'd be something to see if one of them tried airing a game that had no announcers, just the sounds from the stadium and some graphics to show what down it is, etc.

"Don’t speak unless you think you can improve the silence." --- Adolph Rupp, the legendary U. Kentucky coach, hitting the nail on the head.

It'd be something to see if one of them tried airing a game that had no announcers, just the sounds from the stadium and some graphics to show what down it is, etc.

"Don’t speak unless you think you can improve the silence." --- Adolph Rupp, the legendary U. Kentucky coach, hitting the nail on the head.

306155[/snapback]

I believe they tried that once before years ago, no? The phrase 'fart in church' comes to mind.

305803[/snapback]

One of the most entertaining games I saw last season was Cleveland against Cincinnati. Not exactly a marquis matchup on paper but overall it was quite a spectacle. Kelly Holcomb was essentially brilliant in the game, until he threw a pick late that ended the Brownies hope for upset.

I actually like Mcguire and Theisman. I find them entertaining- even if they arent trying to be. Besides that there is not an anouncer I like. I would just as soon mike the players and let the game broadcast itself.. Remember the silence game?