MNF = Overrated

CJPearl2

MNF is totally overrated !!

Each year it gets worse and worse. I prefer Sunday Night Football to be honest. Long gone are the days of Cosell and the crew and he huge ratings.

I could care less if the Bills are on MNF - which means the less I have to listen to John Madden's incessant babble.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Each year it gets worse and worse. I prefer Sunday Night Football to be honest. Long gone are the days of Cosell and the crew and he huge ratings.

I could care less if the Bills are on MNF - which means the less I have to listen to John Madden's incessant babble.

305434[/snapback]

it would be fun to have a monday night game , and it is the only game on tv .

305434[/snapback]

I just love the fact that it's on a crappy day like Monday. I do miss Cosell/Meredith though. Madden is unbearable. It wouldn't surprise me if he had it in his contract to have 3 Brett Favre appearances on MNF, or the deal is off.

You know who would make a good MNF team? I like Micheals, Jawarski, and Fred Willard as the funny guy! Genius, I tells ya!!!

i miss dennis miller. i can't help it that joe sixpack didn't understand his humor. i did, and it was some funny s*it. combining intellectual comedy with football was genius. never before and never since have i tuned into a football game on TV because i wanted to LISTEN to it.

305434[/snapback]

TRUE...MNF=edsel

It's clear you don't watch the games in Hi-Def because one look at Paul McGuire in enhanced resolution and you'll think John Madden is a god. Plus...it pains me to listen to that idiot ramble on to fill airtime and then constantly have something take place in mid-sentence that defies whatever the hell it is he's saying.

i miss dennis miller.  i can't help it that joe sixpack didn't understand his humor.  i did, and it was some funny s*it.  combining intellectual comedy with football was genius.  never before and never since have i tuned into a football game on TV because i wanted to LISTEN to it.

305456[/snapback]

If Dennis Miller were still there MNF would be huge. He made some of the best comments about RJs lack of being able to sense a passrush.

i miss dennis miller.  i can't help it that joe sixpack didn't understand his humor.  i did, and it was some funny s*it.  combining intellectual comedy with football was genius.  never before and never since have i tuned into a football game on TV because i wanted to LISTEN to it.

305456[/snapback]

I'm a huge Dennis Miller fan and the more he was on the show, the more I enjoyed watching. There was no question his wit was never lost on Al Michaels, which is what made it work for me. But unfortunately he was the wrong guy for the right idea.

I'm a huge Dennis Miller fan and the more he was on the show, the more I enjoyed watching. There was no question his wit was never lost on Al Michaels, which is what made it work for me. But unfortunately he was the wrong guy for the right idea.

305469[/snapback]

Re: Dennis Miller,

at first, I said "what are they thinking?"

after three weeks I was saying "genius!"

he was good for MNF. but of coarse, they always know how to screw up a good thing. Take Lisa Guerrero....sure she didn't know where the game was being played from week to week....but she was a comedy goldmine!!!

So what would you do to fix it? Personally I don't like having the game on Monday night. It seems out of place. You've had the whole Sunday of football and it feels over. But then Monday comes and there's another game. I think they'd be better off having the Monday night game on Friday or even Thursday and getting people excited for the weekend of football coming up.

Wow, as the great Bob Wills once sang, "time changes everything...." Dennis Miller sucked on MNF, and at that time, I thougt he was generally pretty funny... I really like his HBO show. It has gotten to the point where I think most of these guys are pretty awful...Dennis Miller was no exception. Having Miller do the games was like having some annoying neighbor, who doesn't really care much about the game, watching with you. He had a few good lines, but I really don't need to be entertained by the announcers, just a the basic info is all I really want. Anything beyond that is overkill.

LA...I actually like Paul Maguire - maybe Im a homer. I also like Mike Patrick - I think he is great.

305529[/snapback]

That's cool (though you are something of a homer anyway) :doh: . I personally think Al Michaels is the best football announcer period and I know a lot of people find him to be the equivalent of the proverbial nails on the chalkboard.

But one truth in my life remains where this topic is concerned: Monday Night Football has always...always...been a part of my life. I would watch it with my Dad, waiting for Don Meredith to sing "Turn out the lights" or most particularly waiting for Cosell's halftime highlights of the previous day's games. Hell, you could probably have it hosted by the chicks from The View and I'd still tell you it's a night of TV I look forward to all day Monday.

The ESPN Game is great because, quite frankly, any primetime football is great. But this is the one case where I feel like getting rid of McGuire would improve the booth. To me he just talks nonsense and in many cases makes Madden sound like a scholar.

LA...I actually like Paul Maguire - maybe Im a homer. I also like Mike Patrick - I think he is great.

305529[/snapback]

you're easy to please :doh:

Mike Patrick tries to make the most routine play sound like the player just karate chopped a mountain in half. Paul Maguire is even worse. He says "Watch this..right here...WAP! " This he says when a screen pass touches someones hands or a LB wifs on a tackle. Me and my buddies sit there and shake our heads when he does that. The replay shows something entirley different than what he thought he saw. He's bad....you are a homer.

Joe T is probably the worst one of the bunch.

I'm telling you, ESPN should throw Ron Jawarski in the booth. The smartest MF'r on ESPN, football-wise

The replay shows something entirley different than what he thought he saw. He's bad....you are a homer.

305552[/snapback]

That's my biggest problem with him. He adamantly sounds like he saw the most incredible play...or worse, the most incredible screw up...and starts yelling "Let me tell you something right here..!!! Now look at this replay. Now see him riiiiggght NOW!" Pause. "Well, I gotta tell you it looked a lot different at regular speed."

That's cool (though you are something of a homer anyway) :doh: . I personally think Al Michaels is the best football announcer period and I know a lot of people find him to be the equivalent of the proverbial nails on the chalkboard.

But one truth in my life remains where this topic is concerned: Monday Night Football has always...always...been a part of my life. I would watch it with my Dad, waiting for Don Meredith to sing "Turn out the lights" or most particularly waiting for Cosell's halftime highlights of the previous day's games. Hell, you could probably have it hosted by the chicks from The View and I'd still tell you it's a night of TV I look forward to all day Monday.

The ESPN Game is great because, quite frankly, any primetime football is great. But this is the one case where I feel like getting rid of McGuire would improve the booth. To me he just talks nonsense and in many cases makes Madden sound like a scholar.

305547[/snapback]

you nailed it brother. MNF for me is a part of life. I don't think I have missed a game in 25 years. Howard Cosell told me about John Lennon getting shot.

That's my biggest problem with him. He adamantly sounds like he saw the most incredible play...or worse, the most incredible screw up...and starts yelling "Let me tell you something right here..!!! Now look at this replay. Now see him riiiiggght NOW!" Pause. "Well, I gotta tell you it looked a lot different at regular speed."

305555[/snapback]

:doh:

nailed it again!