You are the GM of the Philadelphia Eagles

Would you trade T.O. if he threatens to hold out and wants to be traded?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade T.O. if he threatens to hold out and wants to be traded?

• Yes
    • No

I may be in the minority but if they trade TO, and release freddie mitchell they're left with todd pinkston and greg lewis..... Thats just craptastic. TO is the Best wr in the nfl. Forget the attitude. I'd ask for a new deal too if I was him he's right with what he said. The Eagles won't keep him around so he won't see the money from the contract he signed, and this is his last real chance to get paid. You Pay the players what they're worth, and theres nothing the eagles could get in a trade thats worth TO. PAY THE MAN.

TO's comments in The Philadelphia Inquirer today:

"This is not about me being greedy or selfish. People should know. I was called selfish for trying to come back and play in the Super Bowl. I just want people to think about what they're hearing from all these reports about me being greedy. Just take a moment and look at my stature in the game."

"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that. The fact that I signed this contract, that I'm under contract, doesn't factor into anything when it comes to the National Football League. [The Eagles] can cut me anytime they want to -- even if I'm performing well, I'm healthy and I'm putting up numbers, just because they don't want to pay a player that money."

"If they can do what's best for their financial future, then why can't I?

"Everyone knows my former agent [David Joseph] settled for a low-ball number because of my situation last season when Baltimore traded for me. He told me he couldn't get a cent more, knowing I deserved more than they gave me. They used their leverage to strong-arm us because they knew I wanted to leave Baltimore for Philadelphia, and they capitalized on it. I can't go for that now. It's not in me to do that."

"Coach Reid -- who I greatly respect, regardless of what people may think -- even tried to come at me, saying, 'Terrell, you signed a contract . . . promising us you wouldn't cause problems.' I had to let him know that this isn't a problem. That's a misunderstanding, because this is all about business."

and my fav, in reference to his comments about mcnabb earlier this week -- "I said what I said because, obviously, somebody in the organization is leaking stuff to make me look bad, to turn the city against me. Now, why do that now? Think about that. Think about where it's coming from."

---------------------------

my take -- i agree with reid.......he signed the contract, he plays out the contract.......no one put a gun to his head and made him ink that deal......if he feels the need to holdout, fair enough, but i wouldn't cave to him because it will set a precedent in philly........they need to grab a WR or two early in the draft, call his bluff, and be prepared for a holdout.......frankly, i can't see him sitting out an entire year........training camp, pre-season, few games into the year perhaps, and then he's back.......which, in the grand scheme of things, isn't going to effect philly's season all that much, seeing in the weak NFC they've already practically clinched a playoff spot before setting foot on the field........

I'd be angrier about player holdouts if the owners were forced to pay out the contracts they sign players to. Then there would be a case to be made for saying "You signed the contract, now live with it." As it stands, I see no reason to side with ownership since they feel no obligation to live up to the terms of the contract either.

TO is a big talker, but you know, he backs it up. I agree with the earlier poster who said the Eagles would be left with crap at the WR position if they get rid of him.

I'd be angrier about player holdouts if the owners were forced to pay out the contracts they sign players to.  Then there would be a case to be made for saying "You signed the contract, now live with it."  As it stands, I see no reason to side with ownership since they feel no obligation to live up to the terms of the contract either.

305052[/snapback]

except for the fact that even if a player is cut by the owner, the player still keeps every dime of the signing bonus.......the owner takes a risk by paying out a signing bonus and they should get a return on that risk (i.e. locking the player in for a specified time)......just like the player takes a risk by signing a long-term deal.........

funny how you never seem to see players offering back signing bonus dollars despite bad play.......but they don't have a problem asking for more money when they exceed expectations.......

Of course this is all assuming these reports are not exaggerated, but if T.O. threatnes to hold out, and is requesting a trade, if you were the Philadelphia Eagles GM, would you trade Terrell Owens and draft a WR?

I would.

Thoughts?

304792[/snapback]

I voted No for the sole reason because I don't see a rookie stepping in and replacing TO's production on the field. Of course considering how little they gave up to get TO to begin with there are few deals these days in the NFL that could be considered "fair".

No way would I trade TO.

1st - TO is the reason the Eagles were successful last year.

2nd - I am not blaming this latest fiasco on the press....but the press does have a way of twisting things and making something out of a "non-issue".....and i include in that TO's comments about "not being the one who got tired turing the SB". indicating negativity towards Don McNabb.

except for the fact that even if a player is cut by the owner, the player still keeps every dime of the signing bonus.......the owner takes a risk by paying out a signing bonus and they should get a return on that risk (i.e. locking the player in for a specified time)......just like the player takes a risk by signing a long-term deal.........

funny how you never seem to see players offering back signing bonus dollars despite bad play.......but they don't have a problem asking for more money when they exceed expectations.......

305095[/snapback]

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. Since NFL "contracts" are such jokes, I can't hold it against players when they seek to get everything they can.

No way would I trade TO.

1st  -  TO is the reason the Eagles were successful last year.

2nd -  I am not blaming this latest fiasco on the press....but the press does have a way of twisting things and making something out of a "non-issue".....and i include in that TO's comments about "not being the one who got tired turing the SB".  indicating negativity towards Don McNabb.

305182[/snapback]

Good points, but I think that the Eagles are not too tolerant of loudmouths - although they knew what TO was when they signed him. But it's a strong franchise with a good financial situation, and they are packed with picks this year - their #1, a #2 at position #35, a #2 at #63, 2 3rd rounders, 3 5's, and 3 7's - 13 in all.

They have the picks to peddle and move up high in the draft if they are thinking about the likes of Mike Williams or possibly Edwards.

There may be bigger ego's in the NFL, that don't "back it up", but I just can't stand the guy...I know, he doesn't get in trouble off field and all, and I know he is a great football player, but I am just so sick of his "I am so picked on" schpeal, when he brings all negative attention to himself, and to the detriment of his team...he may have finally gotten the Eagles over the hump and to the Super Bowl, but you can still get to a Super Bowl (not to mention get to one) with less talented receivers than Terrell Owens...he is an immature, impulsive jerk, and not at all a team leader...it is his kind of act that has made it really difficult to get behind the NBA anymore. If I were the GM of the Eagles, I would have never tried to acquire him in the first place, and would certainly try to cut my losses now...the Eagles won a lot of football games without him...

Make him play out his contract. Make him realize that his best option to win, with with Phili; the best position he can be in, is with Phili... and if he doesn't bite, tell him that they don't even really need him. They can win with him or without him.

And I think that Eagles are too good of a team for a childish star to mess up the team Chemistry by pouting.

Funny Mel Kiper said expect Philly to draft Matt Jones with their 1st round pick the same time this is coming out of Philadelphia.

305132[/snapback]

cause he'd definately get TO #s soon.

i can't believe you'd even mention that big white banana boat in the same sentence as TO. TO = all pro MJones = DRAFT BUST

I can't really see TO going anywhere. I think he should get the best offer out there for him if thats what he wants to do. Phili new what type of guy he was when they signed him. THey rode him for all last season, and now they won't pay the man.

Hes too damn good to let go.

Of course this is all assuming these reports are not exaggerated, but if T.O. threatnes to hold out, and is requesting a trade, if you were the Philadelphia Eagles GM, would you trade Terrell Owens and draft a WR?

I would.

Thoughts?

304792[/snapback]

Sure.

If you have wet dreams of never playing in another SB! :(