Benchmarking Ford vs. the offensive tackle class

ny33

Offensive line is a hard position for fans/casual viewers to gauge individual performance, as people naturally track the QB and skill position players. O-linemen generally

only standout from negatives (penalties/getting beaten early), and statistics make it difficult to get a sense of individual outperformance. 

It looks like Ford has adjusted to the NFL somewhat better than early in his rookie season, and it looks like the team can be cautiously optimistic that we will not to have to invest early resources on OT this coming draft.

It is fairly simple from a visual, statistical and media standpoint to see how Knox and especially Singletary benchmark vs. their draft class (very well, especially given draft positions), but I have little idea as to how the rookie OTs on other teams have looked. Jonah Williams has been injured, of course, but am curious as to how guys like Dillard have been playing, in case any of you knows of some articles that have looked at the rookie OT/OL class. Thank you, and Merry Christmas

46 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Isn't Dalton Risner playing OG for the Broncos, not OT?

He is. I had he and Ford both graded as guards. One of the reasons I was higher on Ford who I had as a borderline 1st / 2nd rounder was that I felt he had tackle flex. Having seen a lot of him at RT in the NFL I would probably have them closer together. Still prefer Ford's potential at guard but I felt Risner was a pretty solid 2nd round plug and play guard. I think he has had an up and down year but his play has improved on a bad Broncos line as the year has gone. 

The two guys I had as first round OTs were Jonah Williams (obviously ended up on IR before the season) and Jawaan Taylor who I thought was a 1st round talent but with more limited upside as I saw him as a RT only guy. Taylor has probably been the best of the rookie tackles but playing exclusively on that right side. 

Dillard has been in and out of the lineup as the swing tackle in Philly. He basically has Peters, Johnson and Vitai infront of him and has tended to struggle more when inserted on the left side but hard to make a judgment on a guy who has been a spot duty backup on both sides of the line. 

Tytus Howard who I had a 2nd on but Houston took in the 1st has played LG and RT so far. He has also had glimpses of good play but it was always likely to take more than 1 year for him given the step up from Alabama State. 

The other guy I liked was David Edwards who ended up in the 5th going to the Rams. He has also started inside where the book has been a guy who has really improved their interior run blocking but had his share of struggles in pass pro. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is. I had he and Ford both graded as guards. One of the reasons I was higher on Ford who I had as a borderline 1st / 2nd rounder was that I felt he had tackle flex. Having seen a lot of him at RT in the NFL I would probably have them closer together. Still prefer Ford's potential at guard but I felt Risner was a pretty solid 2nd round plug and play guard. I think he has had an up and down year but his play has improved on a bad Broncos line as the year has gone. 

The two guys I had as first round OTs were Jonah Williams (obviously ended up on IR before the season) and Jawaan Taylor who I thought was a 1st round talent but with more limited upside as I saw him as a RT only guy. Taylor has probably been the best of the rookie tackles but playing exclusively on that right side. 

Dillard has been in and out of the lineup as the swing tackle in Philly. He basically has Peters, Johnson and Vitai infront of him and has tended to struggle more when inserted on the left side but hard to make a judgment on a guy who has been a spot duty backup on both sides of the line. 

Tytus Howard who I had a 2nd on but Houston took in the 1st has played LG and RT so far. He has also had glimpses of good play but it was always likely to take more than 1 year for him given the step up from Alabama State. 

The other guy I liked was David Edwards who ended up in the 5th going to the Rams. He has also started inside where the book has been a guy who has really improved their interior run blocking but had his share of struggles in pass pro. 

Kaleb McGary in Atlanta is another RT who was a first round pick. He has had a season similar to Ford. What do you think about McGary?

48 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Kaleb McGary in Atlanta is another RT who was a first round pick. He has had a season similar to Ford. What do you think about McGary?

That is true. I had that as a reach. To me he was an end of 2nd early 3rd type guy. He wasn't in my top 5 OTs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here is what Chris Wessling @ nfl.com has built his all rookie team for 2019

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083965/article/2019-nfl-allrookie-team-offense-josh-jacobs-oroy-favorite

No mention of Ford as a Tackle or Guard.

TACKLES: Jawaan Taylor, Jacksonville Jaguars; Tytus Howard, Houston Texans

Veteran pass rushers began the season taking advantage of Taylor as a Day 1 starter, but he hasn't been charged with a sack since Week 6. The second-round pick joins guard Andrew Norwell as the only Jaguars to play every snap this season. Billed as a high-upside project out of Alabama State, Howard ended up solving Houston's long-standing problem at right tackle before an MCL tear ended his season last week. Fellow first-round picks Andre Dillard and Kaleb McGary have disappointed in Philadelphia and Atlanta, respectively.

GUARDS: Elgton Jenkins, Green Bay Packers; Dalton Risner, Denver Broncos

Aaron Rodgers has credited this year's offensive line as one of the most reliable of his career, with Jenkins taking over as the starter in Week 3. While former All-Pro David Bakhtiari has mixed in a few clunkers this season, Jenkins is a rock in pass protection. Risner has been the bright spot on an underperforming Broncos offensive line that has otherwise continued to baffle team architect John Elway.

CENTER: Erik McCoy, New Orleans Saints

Already one of the NFL's steadiest all-around centers, McCoy has been an upgrade over retired veteran Max Unger in the running game as well as pass protection. He gets the nod over less-consistent Vikings center Garrett Bradbury, who has struggled at times to keep Kirk Cousins clean. With McCoy in the pivot, joining the stalwart tackle tandem of Terron Armstead and Ryan Ramczyk, the Saints' O-line nucleus stacks up with the cream of the crop.

Edited by ganesh

16 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Give that rookie a Christmas cookie.

He'll fit in fine. He's not a turnstile where players just walk through him all day.

Exactly right. He has had some bad plays but that all part of being a rookie. He will be given next year to show progression. Look at Dawkins at LT, Beane and McDermott are willing to give players who show promise time to develop.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Here is what Chris Wessling @ nfl.com has built his all rookie team for 2019

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001083965/article/2019-nfl-allrookie-team-offense-josh-jacobs-oroy-favorite

No mention of Ford as a Tackle or Guard.

TACKLES: Jawaan Taylor, Jacksonville Jaguars; Tytus Howard, Houston Texans

Veteran pass rushers began the season taking advantage of Taylor as a Day 1 starter, but he hasn't been charged with a sack since Week 6. The second-round pick joins guard Andrew Norwell as the only Jaguars to play every snap this season. Billed as a high-upside project out of Alabama State, Howard ended up solving Houston's long-standing problem at right tackle before an MCL tear ended his season last week. Fellow first-round picks Andre Dillard and Kaleb McGary have disappointed in Philadelphia and Atlanta, respectively.

GUARDS: Elgton Jenkins, Green Bay Packers; Dalton Risner, Denver Broncos

Aaron Rodgers has credited this year's offensive line as one of the most reliable of his career, with Jenkins taking over as the starter in Week 3. While former All-Pro David Bakhtiari has mixed in a few clunkers this season, Jenkins is a rock in pass protection. Risner has been the bright spot on an underperforming Broncos offensive line that has otherwise continued to baffle team architect John Elway.

CENTER: Erik McCoy, New Orleans Saints

Already one of the NFL's steadiest all-around centers, McCoy has been an upgrade over retired veteran Max Unger in the running game as well as pass protection. He gets the nod over less-consistent Vikings center Garrett Bradbury, who has struggled at times to keep Kirk Cousins clean. With McCoy in the pivot, joining the stalwart tackle tandem of Terron Armstead and Ryan Ramczyk, the Saints' O-line nucleus stacks up with the cream of the crop.

That is probably what I'd go with if you pretend it is irrelevant that both your tackles have played RT.