Aaron Donald Rumored to Be on Trade Block...Should The Bills Make a Move?

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I take it you mean Dawkins and White as extending our draft picks, who else? Also if this Donald thing did in fact come to fruition (which I doubt tbh) we would be letting Jordan leave and likely cut star imo which would seem to offset the cost of what we would be paying Donald. We could still go after Yannick and a top WR imo

Milano, and to a lesser extent Harry

True on the balancing out with letting Jordan walk and cutting Star. Look, I'm not totally against bringing in Donald. If that's what Beane did, I wouldnt be upset AT ALL. And Im certainly not worried about spending the money. With our cap space we can do anything and EVERYthing we want. I just think it's a lot to tie up in 1 guy. JMO.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

We were in on Mack but got out bid iirc, I think we were rumored to offer up a first and another pick

And why didn't we pull the trigger? Because of the last thing i said in my post: "because the price was too high for his plans"

Idk why you're quoting me on that lol. Every GM was interested in Mack including our own. Once Beane learned of the cost he obviously felt it was too much. The same process that'll take place IF & only IF the Rams do look to move Donald. If Beane felt that cost was too high for a position of need, for a player who has connections to our city & who has made it known in the past that he would've liked to play here, then i see no reason to think he'll pay that cost for a position we have good depth in with Donald.

And btw we have no idea what Beane offered back then. Rumors are just that, rumors. Most likely from beat writers hoping you'll click on their story. Theres a new rumor every day about something. Rumors none of us will ever know if they're true.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dude has an annual cap hit of $25M/season. At a position of depth and strength for us. Lol, no.

That was my initial reaction, but Phillips could command 14-17 mill a year.  Especially if he shows up in the playoffs.  I don’t mind his cap hit but how many draft picks will we have to give up?  That’s the key to me.  Probably too much.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You have to be able to stop the run on defense.  The Bills are screwed when it comes to this, hence Saturday

They’ve stopped the run pretty effectively all year.  I didn’t like what I saw Saturday either, but it was one game.

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep. Fortunately this is an all-time good crop of FA EDGE guys.

Disingenuous would be acting like $90M in cap room restricts the team from doing both.

But fortunately neither of us is doing that, right?

Right...who needs first round draft picks anyway?  And if we trade for Donald, we won’t have $90 M in cap room.

42 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Maybe if McD played a DT more than 60% of the snaps in any given game. 

The nature of the position is inherently rotational. I’d be happy with 70% if we got him for a single first round pick and maybe a third.

• Like (+1) 1

Investing in the DL with a top 5 paid non-QB?  Reminds me of what happened in 2012 when Buffalo flashed Mario, Dareus, Kyle, and Marc Anderson.  That DL didn't make the team demonstrably better and HC's like Belichick figured out how to avoid Buffalo's strength.  

You win with offense and having enough offense.  Not devoting more resources to the defense so you can have at best an average offense.  

18 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

apparently they think the Bills are the only team with cap space and every free agent will run to play in Buffalo because of culture and stuff

they also think we will sign 4 different 20 mil per year receivers

Nope. Not at all. This is just fun speculation since this info came out. You missed the gist of this thread.

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That was my initial reaction, but Phillips could command 14-17 mill a year.  Especially if he shows up in the playoffs.  I don’t mind his cap hit but how many draft picks will we have to give up?  That’s the key to me.  Probably too much.

Well that's kinda my point too. For $25M, sorry $23M, I'd rather have Phillips AND Shaq back. Starting DT AND DE. Instead of just 1 player.

And yeah, the draft picks. Which probably wont be much given his contract. Maybe a 3rd or 4th? No one is spending a 1st on that contract.

It would very likely cost us in not re-signing Jordan P,  Shaq, Murphy & Star, leaving us with Donald, ‘lil Donald’ (EO) & the Horrible One. That’s subtraction by subtraction in my book. Lots of empty slots with a big pile of cash eaten up and many very good players coming up for 2nd & 3rd contracts. Then, we try to fill these gaping holes?

No.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

They’ve stopped the run pretty effectively all year.  I didn’t like what I saw Saturday either, but it was one game.

Right...who needs first round draft picks anyway?  And if we trade for Donald, we won’t have $90 M in cap room.

Ah yes, cap room is more important than stocking the roster with HOFers!

Also, if you're worried about cap room in the future, would it help if they didn't have a 2020 1st rounder to sign?

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Donald is a generational talent who is one of the best ever to play the position and still has 3-5 years of next level production left. It might not be a huge need, but it's impossible to argue that it's a mistake to add that player.

I disagree with that. We need more playmakers. There isn't likely to be an avenue from which to get a top 10 WR this year, and anything aside from that is at the level of which Brown has played this year.

"Impossible" pfft.

It's not hard to argue that the Bills don't need to add him...they are better than the Rams right now, without him. And spending the money somewhere else surely has merit as an argument.

Donald is considered a selfish player, that neglects the run and his gaps, in order to get sacks. I think sacks are overrated.

Woods would be a nice, but I doubt he would provide much more than what we already have. I think finding a WR that was at least a notch better would be the right way to approach it.

Edited by 32ABBA

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It would very likely cost us in not re-signing Jordan P,  Shaq, Murphy & Star, leaving us with Donald, ‘lil Donald’ (EO) & the Horrible One. That’s subtraction by subtraction in my book. Lots of empty slots with a big pile of cash eaten up and many very good players coming up for 2nd & 3rd contracts. Then, we try to fill these gaping holes?

No.

Murphy and Star will be jettisoned at the earliest opportunity, anyway. Shaq could be retained reasonably if the team wants to. Jordan P would be a luxury signing and, unnecessary IMO if the got Donald.  The money is there for Donald to do this comfortably.It doesn’t break the bank in the least. For one first round pick I would be on board.

5 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Murphy and Star will be jettisoned at the earliest opportunity, anyway. Shaq could be retained reasonably if the team wants to. Jordan P would be a luxury signing and, unnecessary IMO if the got Donald.  The money is there for Donald to do this comfortably.It doesn’t break the bank in the least. For one first round pick I would be on board.

One 1st Round pick wont get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

Donald is considered a selfish player, that neglects the run and his gaps, in order to get sacks. I think sacks are overrated.

Woods would be a nice, but I doubt he would provide much more than what we already have. I think finding a WR that was at least a notch better would be the right way to approach it.

Can you support this depiction of Donald with some hard empirical evidence that is not refutable. Otherwise it is the worst kind of hearsay.

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

One 1st Round pick wont get it done.

If that’s the case I would not be for the deal. But, my previous comment stands as true. For a single first round draft pick he would not break the bank.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

So looking at this roster right now, you think it's best for the Bills to spend their 1st Round pick on a DT?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

So looking at this roster right now, you think it's best for the Bills to spend their 1st Round pick on a DT?

The more appropriate question is: looking at the roster, would you be willing to spend your first round draft pick on the best defensive player in pro football? One who is in his prime?  My answer is, under certain circumstances, absolutely yes

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Ah yes, cap room is more important than stocking the roster with HOFers!

Also, if you're worried about cap room in the future, would it help if they didn't have a 2020 1st rounder to sign?

Dude, you're the one that was touting all the cap room they'll have, not me. 

I can't believe this is even a conversation.  The last two teams that traded multiple first round picks for a defensive player are both dead in the water, with no first round picks to fall back on.  The Bills have a top-three defense in the league and just used the ninth overall pick on a guy who plays Donald's position.  And our offense is primitive, at best, and in need of a major talent infusion at multiple positions.  If we were talking about signing Aaron Donald (or a premier edge rusher) as an unrestricted FA, then I'm all in, but that's not what we're talking about. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Dude, you're the one that was touting all the cap room they'll have, not me. 

I can't believe this is even a conversation.  The last two teams that traded multiple first round picks for a defensive player are both dead in the water, with no first round picks to fall back on.  The Bills have a top-three defense in the league and just used the ninth overall pick on a guy who plays Donald's position.  And our offense is primitive, at best, and in need of a major talent infusion at multiple positions.  If we were talking about signing Aaron Donald (or a premier edge rusher) as an unrestricted FA, then I'm all in, but that's not what we're talking about. 

I said upthread I'd do it for a 4th or maybe a 3rd. Anyone considering a 1st, or even worse MULTIPLE 1sts, is straight up delusional.

The good news for me and you is that Beane didnt get into this position of $90M cap and 9 picks by making decisions like that.

• Like (+1) 1