Bills First Round Picks

Over the last 15 years, with two major exceptions (Flowers and James Williams 15 years ago) and two minor exceptions (Mike Williams who still may be good and Antowain Smith who wasn't a total bust), the Bills have had a pretty damn good history of #1 picks. Fina and Brown may have turned ugly after awhile but were very good players for several years before the downfall.

RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2004 - Lee Evans (WR, Wisconsin), J.P. Losman (QB, Tulane); 2003 - Willis McGahee (RB, Miami); 2002 - Mike Williams (OT, Texas); 2001 - Nate Clements (CB, Ohio State); 2000 - Erik Flowers (DE, Arizona State); 1999 - Antoine Winfield (CB, Ohio State); 1998 - none; 1997 - Antowain Smith (RB, Houston); 1996 - Eric Moulds (WR, Mississippi State); 1995 - Ruben Brown (OG, Pittsburgh); 1994 - Jeff Burris (CB, Notre Dame); 1993 - Thomas Smith (CB, North Carolina); 1992 - John Fina (OL, Arizona); 1991 - Henry Jones (DB, Illinois); 1990 - James Williams (CB, Fresno State).

I haven't looked at all other teams but I would hazard a guess that list stacks up pretty well.

Over the last 15 years, with two major exceptions (Flowers and James Williams 15 years ago)

You guys probably have a better recollection than I, but didn't JD Williams have a hell of a rookie season in 90. I remember him returning a punt block for a touchdown that changed the momentum of that game and a few other such plays.

When did he become a bust and leave the organization? Did he get hurt? Or just started to play poorly?

You guys probably have a better recollection than I, but didn't JD Williams have a hell of a rookie season in 90.  I remember him returning a punt block for a touchdown that changed the momentum of that game and a few other such plays.

When did he become a bust and leave the organization?  Did he get hurt?  Or just started to play poorly?

303855[/snapback]

As I recall, he had some sort of vision problem related to depth perception that precluded his being an effective CB.

As I recall, he had some sort of vision problem related to depth perception that precluded his being an effective CB.

303925[/snapback]

IIRC he had a narrowed cervical column was discovered after a neck injury. He was at too great a risk of paralysis and was forced to retire. He was just coming into his own, the only time I can remember him really getting torched was that Cleveland playoff game; I think he got kicked out after throwing a punch anyway.

Edit: Or, I might be completely wrong... looks like he signed with the Cardinals and faded away, as players tend to do when they are sent there...

Edited by Ralonzo

IIRC he had a narrowed cervical column was discovered after a neck injury. He was at too great a risk of paralysis and was forced to retire. He was just coming into his own, the only time I can remember him really getting torched was that Cleveland playoff game; I think he got kicked out after throwing a punch anyway.

303978[/snapback]

That was Derek Burroughs, wasn't it?