The Impeachment Trial of President Donald J. Trump

Nanker

"President Trump's team is considering using just a portion of the 24 hours they're given for arguments in his impeachment trial...."

Axios reports.
A truncated defense would likely reflect a decision not to contest facts or defend Trump point by point, but rather to try to diminish the legitimacy of Democrats' overall case and end the trial as quickly as possible.

How many "points" are there? Seems to me — and I'm listening to precious little of the proceedings — that the Democrats have been repeating themselves quite a bit.

You can respond on every point in MUCH less time the Democrats have consumed laying out their case, and I think it's better to be confident and pithy, not to pad and elongate. It makes me think of all the exams I have graded in my life. I usually had a page limit, but students who wrote to the page limit usually seemed to have less to say and to be trying to cover that up by making it LOOK like they had material. I was MUCH happier to see something shorter, where every sentence had strong material and there was no repetition.

Less is more.

• Haha (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"President Trump's team is considering using just a portion of the 24 hours they're given for arguments in his impeachment trial...."

Axios reports.
A truncated defense would likely reflect a decision not to contest facts or defend Trump point by point, but rather to try to diminish the legitimacy of Democrats' overall case and end the trial as quickly as possible.

How many "points" are there? Seems to me — and I'm listening to precious little of the proceedings — that the Democrats have been repeating themselves quite a bit.

You can respond on every point in MUCH less time the Democrats have consumed laying out their case, and I think it's better to be confident and pithy, not to pad and elongate. It makes me think of all the exams I have graded in my life. I usually had a page limit, but students who wrote to the page limit usually seemed to have less to say and to be trying to cover that up by making it LOOK like they had material. I was MUCH happier to see something shorter, where every sentence had strong material and there was no repetition.

Less is more.

At a very minimum, they should prepare a mash-up of every Dem Congressperson who voted for impeachment telling us that there's overwhelming evidence and that the evidence is undisputed.

• Like (+1) 3

a question here...

if the President has no other choice but to release foreign aid (as the Dems seem to be saying with their argument), why is the Presidency involved with this process at all. why doesn't the House just dispense it?

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

a question here...

if the President has no other choice but to release foreign aid (as the Dems seem to be saying with their argument), why is the Presidency involved with this process at all. why doesn't the House just dispense it?

Treasury is an executive branch function.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

a question here...

The President did have a choice.  At least one process is called impoundment.  I'm not sure if that was invoked in this case.  There have been cases in the past where Trump held up aid to get a further explanation for it, or to place conditions on it.  If I remember right, the Senate was getting ready to sue him to release the aid.  In any event, there are legit reasons and mechanisms to hold up aid. 

But according to the Rep. from Colorado, the only reason why the aid was released was because the President "got caught".

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, snafu said:

Still yammering on about first Article?

Are they going to completely ignore the second Article?

he stated at the outset of his turn here, that this would be the last on the first article.

32 minutes ago, Foxx said:

he stated at the outset of his turn here, that this would be the last on the first article.

Yes, I know.  They have spent 19 hours gaslighting on Article 1.

Sekulow is on fire right now.

Holy Moses.  He's intemperate right now.  If he uses that tone in Session the admonishments are going to come from Roberts.

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, snafu said:

Yes, I know.  They have spent 19 hours gaslighting on Article 1.

Sekulow is on fire right now.

Holy Moses.  He's intemperate right now.  If he uses that tone in Session the admonishments are going to come from Roberts.

Summary?

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Summary?

I hope you're not asking about the 19 hours part.

Sekulow was blasting Schiff about Trump "soliciting a foreign power" to assist him in his election.  He (forcefully) reminded everyone that Chris Steele is a foreigner, and that Steele used Russians for his dossier, and that Clinton used the dossier for her election purposes.  He also mentioned how the FBI used the dossier to investigate Trump, etc., etc., etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, snafu said:

I hope you're not asking about the 19 hours part.

Sekulow was blasting Schiff about Trump "soliciting a foreign power" to assist him in his election.  He (forcefully) reminded everyone that Chris Steele is a foreigner, and that Steele used Russians for his dossier, and that Clinton used the dossier for her election purposes.  He also mentioned how the FBI used the dossier to investigate Trump, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, I'm amazed at how hard they're hitting Russia while trying to make their case -- particularly because, as you and Sekulow (and others) note, the democrats are guilty of exactly what they are accusing Trump of doing. They leaned on foreign allies to spy on their opponents campaign (UK, Canada, Ukraine, New Zealand, and Australia), they paid for Russian disinformation, laundering it through a foreign spook, and then maliciously inserted it into the justice system and the media without hesitation. 

Boomerang coming.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Honestly, I'm amazed at how hard they're hitting Russia while trying to make their case -- particularly because, as you and Sekulow (and others) note, the democrats are guilty of exactly what they are accusing Trump of doing. They leaned on foreign allies to spy on their opponents campaign (UK, Canada, Ukraine, New Zealand, and Australia), they paid for Russian disinformation, laundering it through a foreign spook, and then maliciously inserted it into the justice system and the media without hesitation. 

Boomerang coming.

Yep,

I keep hearing that the President's team won't use their full allotted time, but they sure can if they want to -- and they won't need to repeat themselves, like the House Managers did for two and a half days. There's so much meat on that bone.  I really wonder how much they want to belly up and let rip.  They never had the full open opportunity to summarize what happened during 2016 and beyond.  This 24 hour rebuttal comes at a ripe time.  After Mueller fizzled, after Horowitz, after FISA nullifying the Page warrants, with Flynn on the offensive.  Oh, and the fact that all of the Democrats' impeachment case is based upon hearsay and opinion -- and is a political game to influence 2020.

I always think that the less said, the better.  But you don't want to leave money on the table.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

Yep,

I keep hearing that the President's team won't use their full allotted time, but they sure can if they want to -- and they won't need to repeat themselves, like the House Managers did for two and a half days. There's so much meat on that bone.  I really wonder how much they want to belly up and let rip.  They never had the full open opportunity to summarize what happened during 2016 and beyond.  This 24 hour rebuttal comes at a ripe time.  After Mueller fizzled, after Horowitz, after FISA nullifying the Page warrants, with Flynn on the offensive.  Oh, and the fact that all of the Democrats' impeachment case is based upon hearsay and opinion -- and is a political game to influence 2020.

I always think that the less said, the better.  But you don't want to leave money on the table.

Agree entirely. I do like that they are only going 3 hours tomorrow, because it is the TV dead zone. Save the other 21 hours for Monday and Tuesday and let loose the dogs of war imo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

It would be meaningful if 10 or more dem senators voted to acquit and sent Nancy, Adam and Jerry a message.  A message not to waste their time with a political food fight, but the senate operates in the same cafeteria meaning it won't happen. 

...and of course they could do so with NO party reprisals.......why Nancy was reelected as Speaker "fair and square", right (COUGH)?....who in their right mind would even bother to get into politics hoping to change things for the better when you'll get stepped on like an ant for NOT "towing the line"?.......keep draining the swamp but double up on chlorine........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Agree entirely. I do like that they are only going 3 hours tomorrow, because it is the TV dead zone. Save the other 21 hours for Monday and Tuesday and let loose the dogs of war imo.

I'd use the three Saturday hours to revv up the Sunday talk shows.

There are so many ways to go with this defense it makes it hard to choose a straight path.

• Like (+1) 3