One of the best Bledsoe quotes I've

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started threads in the past saying how Drew could be successful with a better TE, and that if he was to stay I'd like to see a stud TE brought in (Pollard). But it didn't happen.

Did Bledsoe lose the game against Pitt? No, but he sure didn't help us win it. And that right there is the story of his time in Buffalo. He did nothing to take this franchise to the next level. Yes, he brought us back to mediocrity, but we all want more than that.

I sincerely hope Drew Bledsoe plays spectacularly well and wins every game he doesn't play against the Buffalo BILLS.  I hold no ill will towards the man whatsoever.  That doesn't mean he played up to his reputation or doesn't deserve much of the criticism leveled at him.  He's been done like dinner for a LONG time.

302778[/snapback]

He plays for the Cowboys and they kicked our a$$es in two Super Bowls. I NEVER cheer for the Cowboys. :doh:

Is it easy to pretend that one game against a mediocre opponent changes something?

Drew Bledsoe's stats in the games where the opponents had a record of 10 or more wins or ended the season in the playoffs. (19 total games against teams with either 10 or more wins OR made playoffs):

Attempts: 602

Completions: 342

Percentage: 56.8%

Yards: 3601

TDs: 15

Interceptions: 26

Rating: 64.66

Sacked: 61

Average per game stats:

Attempts: 32

Completions: 18

Percentage: 56.8%

Yards: 190

TDs: 0.8

Interceptions: 1.4

Rating: 64.66

Sacked: 3.2

Other interesting stats of note:

Games without a TD pass: NINE

Games without an intercept: TWO

Games with fewer than 100 yards passing: THREE

Games with more than 300 yards passing: ONE

Games with 50% or lower completions: SIX

Games with 67% or better completions: THREE

Games with one sack or less: THREE

Games with 4 sacks or more: SEVEN

Games with 3 or more TD passes: ONE

Games with 3 or more interceptions: FOUR

Of course, if we just made every offensive lineman a Pro Bowler and had a HOF TE...

How about the goddamn HOF QB elevating everyone else around him by playing HIS best?  Guess that's a little much to ask, right?  I'm not sure pretending Drew Bledsoe wasn't part of the problem is any different than the extremists on the other side of the argument.

I sincerely hope Drew Bledsoe plays spectacularly well and wins every game he doesn't play against the Buffalo BILLS.  I hold no ill will towards the man whatsoever.  That doesn't mean he played up to his reputation or doesn't deserve much of the criticism leveled at him.  He's been done like dinner for a LONG time.

302778[/snapback]

My response to you was regarding his ability to get the ball to TEs. You suggested no TE would want to work with him. Ridiculous.

Post ANY QBs ratings against quality teams. They ALL are ALWAYS worse against the better teams. Same goes for great baseball pitchers, hockey centers, golfers.

Every time Tiger Woods goes up against the The Little Sisters of the Poor 4th grade golf team he beats them every time. Every frikking time!

When he plays against Singh, Mickelson, Els and so on he sometimes loses.

Bledsoe was a better QB for this team then most people on this board give him credit for and that fact may be borne out come September on 2 fronts.

The less Bledsoe posts I see here the better but I don't see the point of constantly trashing the guy and suggesting he's a "piece of crap" QB.

My response to you was regarding his ability to get the ball to TEs.  You suggested no TE would want to work with him.  Ridiculous.

Post ANY QBs ratings against quality teams.  They ALL are ALWAYS worse against the better teams. Same goes for great baseball pitchers, hockey centers, golfers.

Every time Tiger Woods goes up against the The Little Sisters of the Poor 4th grade golf team he beats them every time. Every frikking time!

When he plays against Singh, Mickelson, Els and so on he sometimes loses.

Bledsoe was a better QB for this team then most people on this board give him credit for and that fact may be borne out come September on 2 fronts. 

The less Bledsoe posts I see here the better but I don't see the point of constantly trashing the guy and suggesting he's a "piece of crap" QB.

302845[/snapback]

I'm sorry you missed the "tongue in cheek"-ness of my "No TE would want to come here." C'est la Vie.

Drew doesn't sometimes lose. His record in Buffalo against good teams is PATHETIC. Something in the neighborhood of 4-15 with terrible stats to match.

Saying he was better than most people here give him credit for is nothing more than putting frosting on the proverbial piece of crap and attempting to pass it off as cake. He didn't play to his cap number or status the majority of the time and that in itself is even more detrimental to the team simply based on the position he plays.

The "he was sacked less often than Tom Brady" argument is a perfect example. Bledsoe also makes about 300% less plays per game than Brady, whose surrounding offensive cast are no better than those surrounding Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo.

I feel like I'm reading posts about the Presidential election.

One side has done an incredible flip-flop after chastizing people like me last Nov/Dec - who insisted that Bledsoe sucked, and games were won in spite of him last year. Still, it's nice to see that the light bulb has finally gone off with this group.

The opposition is apparantly too stubborn to admit that they were wrong all along about the painfully obvious fact that Deadsoe is an awful NFL QB.

After 8 games in 2002, wasn't it obvious that the other 31 teams figured out what to do about Bledsoe?

302736[/snapback]

2002 huh?

We had GW, and worse yet Gilbride.

We had Travis coughing up the football to opponents on a regular basis, and playing his stupid game.

Who was our OL coach?

We had MW in his stunning rookie debut. He was great, right? In fact, so was the entire OL.

The defense was so-so.

The special teams sucked, right?

The 31 teams (minus the Bengals if I recall) figured out what to do to beat a suckass Bills team.....not just Drew Bledsoe. To place all of the blame on Drew is rather simplistic, wouldn't you say?

I'm sorry you missed the "tongue in cheek"-ness of my "No TE would want to come here."  C'est la Vie.

Drew doesn't sometimes lose.  His record in Buffalo against good teams is PATHETIC.  Something in the neighborhood of 4-15 with terrible stats to match.

Saying he was better than most people here give him credit for is nothing more than putting frosting on the proverbial piece of crap and attempting to pass it off as cake.  He didn't play to his cap number or status the majority of the time and that in itself is even more detrimental to the team simply based on the position he plays.

The "he was sacked less often than Tom Brady" argument is a perfect example.  Bledsoe also makes about 300% less plays per game than Brady, whose surrounding offensive cast are no better than those surrounding Drew Bledsoe in Buffalo.

302869[/snapback]

Got the frosting/crap metaphor already. I presume you think that putting Brady here the last 4 years would net Buffalo 3 out of 4 Super Bowls since the offenses are the same otherwise?

Probably an automatic since we had a defense and ST ranked ahead of NE last year?

It's not just the QB. Really.

I presume you think that putting Brady here the last 4 years would net Buffalo 3 out of 4 Super Bowls since the offenses are the same otherwise?

Yeah, that's a good inference. Typical debate tactic when losing. :doh:

Probably an automatic since we had a defense and ST ranked ahead of NE last year?

I'd sure like to have seen what Marcia would have done in Buffalo and Drew in NE, but since it's never going to happen.

It's not just the QB.  Really.

302883[/snapback]

I never said it was (I'm still pissed that our overrated defense let the Stillers drive 10 minutes of the 4th quarter). But "his mediocreness" deserves his share and his play certainly didn't inspire the confidence required to get this team to the next level. That's why he was given his bus ticket to replace Vinny Testaverde.

Drew helped Buffalo gain credibility but he's jumped the shark. I'll be stunned if he doesn't fold his tent yet again by week 10.

It wasn't the OL. It was the fact that we didn't have receivers with an extra pair of hands growing out of their kneecaps.

302583[/snapback]

That would have been good considering how often they dropped passes that hit them in the hands that were attached to their shoulders.

Only one losing record in three years.

Better than the years before him, no?

Again, don't you have another 400 page LAMP thread to start?

CW

302782[/snapback]

Why do so many people insist on using a win/lost record to evaluate a QB? I mean, I seem to remember a stretch where Trent Dilfer went 15-1 (including playoff wins). Joe Montana might have equalled that; but I'm pretty sure he never surpassed it. Does that mean that Trent Dilfer played at an equal or higher level than Joe Montana over those 16 games?

I think not. Baltimore as a team played well enough to go 15-1 over that 16 game stretch; but that record had more to do with elite performances from the defense and running game than the QB position.

Look, all I've been saying is that we COULD do worse than Bledsoe.  Was he the best QB in the world?  No.  Was he the worst QB in the league last year?  Not even close.  Was he average-to-above-average?  Definately.  He wasn't a Probowler, but he was definately middle-of-the-road and he gave us 9 wins.  Reading posts here, you'd think we had 2.

CW

302800[/snapback]

With a good (but as Alaska points out, overrated) defense, very strong special teams, an offensive line that played pretty well over the last ten games of the season, and strong skill position players (McGahee, Evans, etc.) you'd expect more than nine wins. Calling Bledsoe average to above average is really going out on a limb, because his QB rating--which measures his contribution to the team--was in or near the bottom third for starting QBs. He blamed it on bad weather; but his QB rating was low even early in the year.

People dropping passes would be a better excuse; but Bledsoe himself can't say it without sounding negative about his former teammates. Moulds drops more passes than your #1 receiver should. Henry's problems with drops are well-known; and then later in the year you had the injuries at TE. But people on other teams get hurt or drop passes too; and with people like McGahee, Evans, etc. to catch throws, the dropped passes excuse only gets you so far. The QB can do something about dropped passes, like doing a better job of distributing the ball to all his receivers instead of locking in on Moulds.

Show me how QB rating measures "contribution to the team."  :doh:

CW

303071[/snapback]

This one's easy. You hire a QB to get as many yards and points as possible; while keeping interceptions to a minimum. A QB rating measures this. Now, you say that there are ways a QB can affect the outcome of the game that don't get measured in his rating.

- He can take a lot of sacks

- He can fumble the ball in a crucial situation

- He can either run for a lot of yards, or be immobile

Based on how well a QB does with stuff like the above, you can adjust a QB's rating when comparing him with other QBs. It would be very hard to argue that Bledsoe is in the top half of the league when it comes to the things that don't get measured with QB rating. If you would have a hard time winning a race against the Statue of Liberty, your QB rating had better be good.

Big difference, people, between football skills and real life skills.  Trust me, I'd get killed on a football field, but I'm surviving life nicely.

Just cuz you don't like DB, don't trash a man's parents -- especially ones that are trying to make a difference in one of this country's biggest battlefields.

302484[/snapback]

Well, I certainly did not intend to trash Ma & Pa Bledsoe. It's great work they do. I just thought their teaching of "decision-making" skills was a bit ironic, given Drew's weak points.

Certainly, Drew has kept his self-esteem up amidst all his bashers.

Well, I'm sure Mac and Barbara are fine folks, but I wish they'd instilled those good [football] decision-making skills in DB a little more...

302477[/snapback]

He was saying the same crap after NE driopped him. They do seem like nice people but parents will never admitt that their offspring does anything wrong.