If Losman is our first round pick this year...

Am I wrong or is this thread completely asinine?

302749[/snapback]

Since you asked, I will offer my opinion. :doh:

Yes, and no.

There are many here who have JP pegged as greater than great. This imo is silly.

Some view the trade as good because the 05 draft which is said to be weak. This certainly makes some sense.

From where I sit, JP has not proven a thing. I will be his biggest fan if he is a good qb, but this imo is far from a given. His 04 season was a horror show. This is a kid with much to prove, and a lot of the Bills future depends upon him being able to excel at his position.

All we can do is hope. What we cannot do is judge for sure whether or not this was a good trade.

Since you asked, I will offer my opinion.  :doh:

Yes, and no.

There are many here who have JP pegged as greater than great. This imo is silly.

Some view the trade as good because the 05 draft which is said to be weak. This certainly makes some sense.

From where I sit, JP has not proven a thing. I will be his biggest fan if he is a good qb, but this imo is far from a given. His 04 season was a horror show. This is a kid with much to prove, and a lot of the Bills future depends upon him being able to excel at his position.

All we can do is hope. What we cannot do is judge for sure whether or not this was a good trade.

302768[/snapback]

No, Losman proved quite a bit. In pre-season and in practice, Losman proved to the Bills brass that he is not only likely as good as (the 9-7 winning 6 of the last 7 games) Drew Bledsoe, but probably better. And whether you like Bledsoe or not, he is good enough to start in the NFL, ask Mike Mularkey and Bill Parcells. So Losman has already proven that he is good enough to start in the NFL, otherwise Drew would still be our quarterback at least one more year. And thank God, he did.

No, Losman proved quite a bit. In pre-season and in practice, Losman proved to the Bills brass that he is not only likely as good as (the 9-7 winning 6 of the last 7 games) Drew Bledsoe, but probably better. And whether you like Bledsoe or not, he is good enough to start in the NFL, ask Mike Mularkey and Bill Parcells. So Losman has already proven that he is good enough to start in the NFL, otherwise Drew would still be our quarterback at least one more year. And thank God, he did.

302774[/snapback]

Well, they did knock off StL, Sea, Mia, Cle, Cin and SF.

302774[/snapback]

What did he prove when he brushed up against a db and was nearly crippled?

Ryan Leaf "proved" that he was a star in this league too, right?

Your analogy is "homer" tainted and flawed.

Wait a second. Julius Jones had a good final 7 games for Dallas, including three 100 yard games. He missed 8 games due to injury in his rookie year. He also missed plenty of time at Notre Dame.

Let's see Jones actually stay off the IR for one year before we declare this trade a smashing victory for Dallas. Lets update this in 5 years, when we actually have more than speculation to work with.

302915[/snapback]

1. It proved nothing and he wasn't nearly crippled.

2. Ryan Leaf at no time proved he was a star in this league.

3. Look up analogy.

4. Show me the flaw.

5. What exactly is "homer" about saying that a starting quarterback in this league proved he's a starting quarterback in this league by replacing the former starter?

302915[/snapback]

Why commit JP to doom before he shows something one way or the other? I've heard tell about folks that go into orthopaedic hospitals as near hopeless and end up skipping down the steps...right? :doh:

302774[/snapback]

I read the article on TBD that when Losman threw the opening pitch at some baseball game the other day, he tried to throw a high heater and ended up throwing it outside and into the dirt. The dude couldn't even reach the plate with a little ball. How the hell is he going to be able to throw a football?

We're gonna suck next year.

1. It proved nothing and he wasn't nearly crippled.

2. Ryan Leaf at no time proved he was a star in this league.

3. Look up analogy.

4. Show me the flaw.

5. What exactly is "homer" about saying that a starting quarterback in this league proved he's a starting quarterback in this league by replacing the former starter?

302942[/snapback]

KTD, didn't SD dump their starter as soon as Leaf was ushered into town? Did this prove anything? Of course not. Leaf was a dismal failure. There lies the "homer" flaw. If JP was on another team, would you be gushing over him? Would people be using his ill advised statements to some little kid as proof of "leadership?" Would posters be naming themselves "Big Cat?" Hell no, and I think that you know I am correct.

I know you like semantics, and you are good at it, but JP proved more in the hospital than he did on the football field.

JP might be good at some point, perhaps great, but allow me the dignity to not sit by the door of Canton waiting for him to be enshrined.

If he makes it, save me a seat, OK? :P:doh:

I read the article on TBD that when Losman threw the opening pitch at some baseball game the other day, he tried to throw a high heater and ended up throwing it outside and into the dirt. The dude couldn't even reach the plate with a little ball. How the hell is he going to be able to throw a football?

We're gonna suck next year.

302966[/snapback]

Are you forgetting that he called some little kid "Big Cat?" :P:doh:

KTD, didn't SD dump their starter as soon as Leaf was ushered into town? Did this prove anything? Of course not. Leaf was a dismal failure. There lies the "homer" flaw. If JP was on another team, would you be gushing over him? Would people be using his ill advised statements to some little kid as proof of "leadership?"  Would posters be naming themselves "Big Cat?" Hell no, and I think that you know I am correct.

I know you like semantics, and you are good at it, but JP proved more in the hospital than he did on the football field.

JP might be good at some point, perhaps great, but allow me the dignity to not sit by the door of Canton waiting for him to be enshrined.

If he makes it, save me a seat, OK?  :lol:  :P

302989[/snapback]

You're forgetting and continue to forget one important element. I have never said Losman was going to be great. I have never said he is going to be a star. In fact, the only thing I remember saying about his talent here lately is that if I was a GM I would like Alex Smith instead. I don't know where the hell you get the idea that I think Losman should be enshrined in Canton already. I liked what I saw in the pre-season games last year on TV and when I went to training camp but that's it. I think if Drew plays well and the Bills beat Pittsburgh that last game that Drew would still be our QB. I think Losman will be exciting and has potential and I'm glad he's here because he has a chance.

I am behind him 100% right now because he's our future. But I was just responding to your ill-conceived post that he hasn't proven anything. The Bills watched him in practice and they looked at their team and they said we're a better team with JP than we are with Drew. They said this in public and they said it by their actions. So when you say he hasn't proved a thing, and add foolish superlatives after it, I responded in kind. :doh:

I don't know why you brought Ryan Leaf into the equation either. He was never a star but he was a starter who proved to be a dismal failure. But the Chargers brass didn't get to see him every day in practice for a year before they made their pick, they just watched a bunch of film in college, like everyone else.

You're forgetting and continue to forget one important element. I have never said Losman was going to be great. I have never said he is going to be a star. In fact, the only thing I remember saying about his talent here lately is that if I was a GM I would like Alex Smith instead. I don't know where the hell you get the idea that I think Losman should be enshrined in Canton already. I liked what I saw in the pre-season games last year on TV and when I went to training camp but that's it. I think if Drew plays well and the Bills beat Pittsburgh that last game that Drew would still be our QB. I think Losman will be exciting and has potential and I'm glad he's here because he has a chance.

I am behind him 100% right now because he's our future. But I was just responding to your ill-conceived post that he hasn't proven anything. The Bills watched him in practice and they looked at their team and they said we're a better team with JP than we are with Drew. They said this in public and they said it by their actions. So when you say he hasn't proved a thing, and add foolish superlatives after it, I responded in kind.  :doh:

I don't know why you brought Ryan Leaf into the equation either. He was never a star but he was a starter who proved to be a dismal failure. But the Chargers brass didn't get to see him every day in practice for a year before they made their pick, they just watched a bunch of film in college, like everyone else.

303001[/snapback]

Points well taken but for the record, the Bills staff did not get to watch JP practice for a year either. Much of that time he was either on crutches, a cast or in traction for having brushed up against a defensive back.

I share your excitement about the possibility that JP does bring. I want to cheer him to victory at RWS, and will do so. Within a few days, I will know when we will be going up for our 12th consecutive year, and I cannot wait. Before the end of the month, we will have our car rental and hotel reservations.

I love this football team and WNY. Sadly, it is not in my nature to be a blind optimist.

who were our second and fifth round choices last year?

Just a reaction to the world according to Donahoe.........

302423[/snapback]

Having him on the squad for a year already has to be worth something. QB's do not start their first year, so if we passed on the JP trade we would still have Bledsoe. Would you prefer that prospect?

The bottom line with Losman is he hasn't proven himself to be a success or a failure. Nor will we know a whole lot about him after his first year as starter. Peyton Manning and Terry Bradshaw didn't look that good in their rookie years. The more people build Losman up now, the more they'll attack him later when he doesn't look like Hall of Fame material from the very first snap.

The Bills going with Losman over Bledsoe doesn't mean that Losman has "proven" anything. It means that the Bills were tired of Bledsoe, and wanted to see what they had or didn't have with the guy they drafted. The only way to find that out is to put him under center in games that mean something.