Interesting reading in The News

Donahoe said he has offered Assistant General Manager Tom Modrak the GM title "about five times" but Modrak has declined.

"He does a great job," Donahoe said. "I told Tom this from the day he came here, whatever capacity, however he wants to work the job, we're very comfortable with it. . . . Tom's great at what he does. There's no doubt in my mind he should be a general manager. He has been passed over a couple of times, and I think it has been somebody else's mistake but I think it has been to our advantage."

Modrak said he likes his current responsibilities.

"I think Tom does such a great job at what he's doing that I'm not sure I could contribute enough to make that (worthwhile)," Modrak said. "I like being on the road. I like doing what I do. I think I'm good at it. If I don't get out enough (I'm not happy). And if you take that job you can't be out (scouting on the road) that much. . . . Believe me, I've thought about it a lot. Sometimes in the middle of October when I'm out for a long stretch, I've really thought about it."

I suppose that disputes a few Donahoe has a huge ego claims, offering to give up a lot of his responsibilities. We're extremely lucky to have a guy like Modrak. Hell, the NFL and all of sports is lucky to have a guy who likes what he is doing and doesn't have a huge ego. How refreshing.

I suppose that disputes a few Donahoe has a huge ego claims, offering to give up a lot of his responsibilities. We're extremely lucky to have a guy like Modrak. Hell, the NFL and all of sports is lucky to have a guy who likes what he is doing and doesn't have a huge ego. How refreshing.

302353[/snapback]

I'd guess a lot of folks might want to give up some responsibility as long as their pay remains the same. :doh:

To me, this is great. It means that if Modrak did want a GM position, the Bills could offer it right here in the ideal situation, working with a partner whom he respects and enjoys sharing duties with. I think unless there is a big power struggle in the future, or Modrak develops ambitions to take on a weaker team and rebuild it, we are set in the front office for years to come.

looks like Modrak is smart not to take just a GM title without all of the benfits an power afforded a true GM.

By remaining as asst GM, he is free to move to a GM job as a promotion. If he had the GM title, the Bills could block his move.

On the other hand, Modrak gets to operate a high level without being under the gun for his personnnel decisions. Teflon Tom can deflect all the criticism.

Yeah, Modrak sounds like he's miserable. Working with his old friend TD. Making huge bucks. Going out on the road to scout. Sitting at the head table with TD on Draft Day with major input, while everyone else sits behind them.

Like he cares about what title he has. :doh:

looks like Modrak is smart not to take just a GM title without all of the benfits an power afforded a true GM.

By remaining as asst GM, he is free to move to a GM job as a promotion. If he had the GM title, the Bills could block his move.

On the other hand, Modrak gets to operate a high level without being under the gun for his personnnel decisions. Teflon Tom can deflect all the criticism.

302442[/snapback]

My take's just the opposite. TM's probably put the kabbosh ony any interest another team might have had in him for a GM role (which has become much more about cap management/finances and less about scouting in recent years):

"I like being on the road. I like doing what I do. I think I'm good at it. If I don't get out enough (I'm not happy). And if you take that job you can't be out (scouting on the road) that much. . . .

I think Modrak has reached that level of maturity where it's

"Do what you love,

Love what you do,

And you won't work another day in your life."

I go in and teach learning disabled kids, age 5-10 every day, but I love it. If TD were the principal and offered me vice-principalship, I'd say, "Can I keep doing what I'm doing and just have the pay increase?"

If he had the GM title, the Bills could block his move.

Like they did John Butler?

I'm not so sure that lateral/upward move rule applies to front-office personell the same as it does coaches.

Like they did John Butler?

I'm not so sure that lateral/upward move rule applies to front-office personell the same as it does coaches.

303026[/snapback]

What? wasn't JB fired or contract not renewed????????????