(OT) Man Tackled Outside US Capitol

zow2

And exactly what reality is that?  What exactly has happened on our soil since 9/11?  NOTHING.  And it has nothing to do with "tighter security," because 99% of it is simply window dressing.  No nail files on planes?  Give me a freak'n break.  United Airlines gave my wife and me a GLASS BOTTLE of champaign when we flew on our honeymoon ONE MONTH after 9/11.  I think a broken bottle can be a bit more dangerous than a nail file.  But I guess terrorists can't pretend to go on a honeymoon. :P

I'm sick of the "it's ok, because it's making me safer" bullcrap, because all it's doing is taking away more and more civil liberties and NOT making anyone safer.  At all.

CW

301931[/snapback]

Ok, then answer this.

Would you rather have 1,000 guys get tackled of which 999 are just innocent morons who don't realize that they "look" suspicious, yet 1 of them had planned to blow the capital to sh--, or let all 1,000 of them go along with their daily activities, despite the fact that everyone who walked past this guy probably wondered "what the hell is he doing, and what the hell is in those bags" and then BOOM?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, then answer this.

Would you rather have 1,000 guys get tackled of which 999 are just innocent morons who don't realize that they "look" suspicious, yet 1 of them had planned to blow the capital to sh--, or let all 1,000 of them go along with their daily activities, despite the fact that everyone who walked past this guy probably wondered "what the hell is he doing, and what the hell is in those bags" and then BOOM?

301935[/snapback]

Considering our country is founded on the belief that we'd rather let 999,999 guilty people go free rather than prosecute one innocent person....

But this is post 9/11, so we should throw away what our country stands for.

CW

But this is post 9/11, so we should throw away what our country stands for.

CW

301937[/snapback]

How about "this is post 9/11, use some goddamn common sense".

Unless that guy is both blind and deaf, he's a frigging moron who deserved whatever he got.

If he is blind and deaf, I retract everything I say here. :P

And exactly what reality is that?  What exactly has happened on our soil since 9/11?  NOTHING.  And it has nothing to do with "tighter security," because 99% of it is simply window dressing.  No nail files on planes?  Give me a freak'n break.  United Airlines gave my wife and me a GLASS BOTTLE of champaign when we flew on our honeymoon ONE MONTH after 9/11.  I think a broken bottle can be a bit more dangerous than a nail file.  But I guess terrorists can't pretend to go on a honeymoon. :P

I'm sick of the "it's ok, because it's making me safer" bullcrap, because all it's doing is taking away more and more civil liberties and NOT making anyone safer.  At all.

CW

301931[/snapback]

Three weeks after 9/11, I flew first-class on TWA. Couldn't even get a plastic spork in the airport because it was a "dangerous weapon", the flight was delayed 40 minutes because the pilot was detained for trying to bring nail clippers on...but with the first-class meal I asked for and got a metal, serrated steak knife.

Admittedly, things were quite confused those first few months (and I curse the "shoe bomber" with every breath when I fly...thanks to that dumbass's looney idea, I have to take my shoes off EVERY TIME I go through airport security), and things are a LITTLE more sensible now. But even so...visible security is less about security and more about PR. The stuff you CAN'T see, on the other hand...

Speaking of which...anyone hear from DC Tom lately?

Coincidence?

301890[/snapback]

Yeah, he's a couple trees over.

And what is it with that dickhead anyway? He tosses out enough monkey sh-- for four or five regular monkeys. Is there anything he doesn't pretend to know? He gives the rest of us crap-throwing monkeys a bad name.

Three weeks after 9/11, I flew first-class on TWA.  Couldn't even get a plastic spork in the airport because it was a "dangerous weapon", the flight was delayed 40 minutes because the pilot was detained for trying to bring nail clippers on...but with the first-class meal I asked for and got a metal, serrated steak knife. 

Admittedly, things were quite confused those first few months (and I curse the "shoe bomber" with every breath when I fly...thanks to that dumbass's looney idea, I have to take my shoes off EVERY TIME I go through airport security), and things are a LITTLE more sensible now.  But even so...visible security is less about security and more about PR.  The stuff you CAN'T see, on the other hand...

301945[/snapback]

Okay, taking this way off track. Always thought that the most dangerous weapon I bring on almost every flight is my lighter and aerosal deoderant. Can't that be used to be like a flame thrower or something. At least is does on the movies. Always thought a terrorist could put anything he wanted in that can, like pepper spray, or something more lethal, but I have never been questioned about it

If you want to stand around, dressed in all black, with two matching suitcases next to you, and not respond to yelled commands, do it at home.

301902[/snapback]

Osama makes a note to his minions:

1.Wear colors --- pinks, blues and oranges!

2. Buy Ralph Loren knapsacks and an LL Bean totes, but never two of the same!"

:P

Oh, and on our way back from England, we were allowed to bring a sturdy wooden, metal-tipped umbrella onto the plane (thank goodness, since it wouldn't fit in the luggage).  That was allowed on as well, because it "wasn't on the list of banned items."  Again, the umbrella was MUCH more dangerous than any nail file.

CW

301931[/snapback]

Well you are right... broken glass can be used to cut someone up... the umbrella can be used to impale someone... but add the nail file and you might be able to use it as a screw driver and get into a restricted area where you can then use your champagne bottel and umbrella to take over the plane.... just a thought...

by the way how come you think your so enlightened to KNOW ithas nothing to do with increased security???? are you omnicent?

Yeah, he's a couple trees over. 

And what is it with that dickhead anyway?  He tosses out enough monkey sh-- for four or five regular monkeys.  Is there anything he doesn't pretend to know?  He gives the rest of us crap-throwing monkeys a bad name.

301954[/snapback]

Giant cranium head probably would have recognized that trucking two suitcases from Union Station to blow up a concrete fountain would not have the same psychological damage that detonating those two suitcases inside Union Station.

Well you are right... broken glass can be used to cut someone up... the umbrella can be used to impale someone... but add the nail file and you might be able to use it as a screw driver and get into a restricted area where you can then use your champagne bottel and umbrella to take over the plane.... just a thought...

by the way how come you think your so enlightened to KNOW ithas nothing to do with increased security???? are you omnicent?

301958[/snapback]

Or just bring a screwdriver. They typically don't mind (never confiscated any from me), and aside from being used as a screwdrive, it makes a pretty good shiv.

No manicure scissors, though...THOSE they'll confiscate.

Okay, taking this way off track. Always thought that the most dangerous weapon I bring on almost every flight is my lighter and aerosal deoderant. Can't that be used to be like a flame thrower or something. At least is does on the movies. Always thought a terrorist could put anything he wanted in that can, like pepper spray, or something more lethal, but I have never been questioned about it

301955[/snapback]

I believe as of 10 days ago (April 1st) no more lighters on the plane.

Wonder what took them so long to pass that one ?

Admittedly, things were quite confused those first few months (and I curse the "shoe bomber" with every breath when I fly...thanks to that dumbass's looney idea, I have to take my shoes off EVERY TIME I go through airport security), and things are a LITTLE more sensible now.  But even so...visible security is less about security and more about PR.  The stuff you CAN'T see, on the other hand...

301945[/snapback]

Dress like a college student when you're going on a flight. Sandals, sweatpants/windpants, T-Shirt. Then change clothes when you get to your destination. Saves a lot of hassle.

And, a fire extinguisher is a pretty useful odd-job weapon. That stuff is cold, jars you for a few seconds, nevermind if you get it in your face. And they're marked out for easy access. If you put enough thought into it, anything can be a weapon.

I prefer a Stoli on the Rocks myself... :P

301967[/snapback]

Not near as dangerous as Boone's Farm. :o

You know what I think is interesting? How adament so many people can be as to whether the situation was handled right or wrong based on eight paragraphs from an online news story and no first-hand knowledge of precisely what people were doing or thinking at the quote - scene of the crime - unquote. (For you Alice's Restaurant fans out there).

I guess that's what makes this a great country.

This happened a couple blocks from work, and some of my coworkers walked up when they saw all the media, etc.... driving over that way.  Sounded from talking to them, that there will be plenty to this story.

301968[/snapback]

More of the story's coming out. Apparently the guy was a Chinese national here illegally...and wasn't entirely in his right mind anyway (insisted he'd only talk to the President). And the police identified a timing device and wires in one of the suitcases...which, when they detonated it, turned out to be a watch and a CD player. :P

Though it should be sometimes, being stupid isn't exactly terrorism...luckily for some of the people here.