zow2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They better hope he wasn't a deaf tourist. :P

From cnn.com....

The unidentified man stood with his back to police officers as they approached him. Apparently not responding to requests to cooperate, the officers ran up to tackle him and then carried him away.

Some spectators applauded as police dragged the man away.

Before the standoff ended, Capitol police spokesman Michael Lauer said the man had not said anything to police.

The man had stood silently between the two bags, an act that led authorities to evacuate part of the Capitol. Bomb squad officers were inspecting the bags.

They better hope he wasn't a deaf tourist. :P

From cnn.com....

The unidentified man stood with his back to police officers as they approached him. Apparently not responding to requests to cooperate, the officers ran up to tackle him and then carried him away.

Some spectators applauded as police dragged the man away.

Before the standoff ended, Capitol police spokesman Michael Lauer said the man had not said anything to police.

The man had stood silently between the two bags, an act that led authorities to evacuate part of the Capitol. Bomb squad officers were inspecting the bags.

301891[/snapback]

He looks Asian to me. I hope this isn't a repeat of the incident where a Chinese woman was roughed up by security when she was crossing the Rainbow Bridge to Niagara Falls last winter...

Better safe than sorry.

Listen, the world is a suspicious place since 9/11.. especially that area of the world.

If you want to stand around, dressed i all black, with two matching suitcases next to you, and not respond to yelled commands, do it at home.

So the guy got tackeled... Good for them.

Don't worry. If he got a brush burn or two, he'll likely get several hundred thousand or more. :P

Listen, the world is a suspicious place since 9/11..

Exactly. While we're at it, we should have people arrested for using $2 at the store. Serves them right for not marching in line with everyone else in society. We're not all unique and different in our own way, unlike what the crappy school system tries to teach people.

America, the land of the free! :P

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=21967

CW

Exactly.  While we're at it, we should have people arrested for using $2 at the store.  Serves them right for not marching in line with everyone else in society.  We're not all unique and different in our own way, unlike what the crappy school system tries to teach people.

America, the land of the free!  :o

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=21967

CW

301907[/snapback]

So, you are equating using perfectly legal currency to standing in front of a high security area with two suspicious looking bags (while, mind you, wearing all black and sunglasses) and not responding when 4 police come crouching up behind you and you just look at them?

Yeah, Chris,... same ballpark. :P

Better safe than sorry.

Listen, the world is a suspicious place since 9/11.. especially that area of the world.

If you want to stand around, dressed i all black, with two matching suitcases next to you, and not respond to yelled commands, do it at home.

Don't worry. If he got a brush burn or two, he'll likely get several hundred thousand or more. :P

301902[/snapback]

Before you jump to any conclusions, consider that the Capitol is only a few blocks away from Union Station...the place where trains come in, lots of travellers come through with luggage, maybe with some time to kill...a nice day, sunny, temps in the 60's today...a short walk to the Mall...

There's a very good chance this guy was just someone who arrived on the train with some time to burn before a meeting or hotel check-in...

Better safe than sorry.

301902[/snapback]

I agree, but the implications ("better safe than sorry" vs. reduced freedom of speech, movement, privacy, etc.) are still going to take a while to get used to. It's a new world order, for sure.

Any news on what was in the suitcases yet?

Before you jump to any conclusions, consider that the Capitol is only a few blocks away from Union Station...the place where trains come in, lots of travellers come through with luggage, maybe with some time to kill...a nice day, sunny, temps in the 60's today...a short walk to the Mall... 

There's a very good chance this guy was just someone who arrived on the train with some time to burn before a meeting or hotel check-in...

301912[/snapback]

Ok, and Maybe David Caresh was just an average collector of guns who liked to hang out with a large group of friends at his ranch.

The guy got tackled. If he was innocent, he'll get the ton of money he feels he deserves for it. If he was up to something, lives may have been saved.

Maybe the police could have waited longer, maybe they could have set up a remote location and come up with an hours long game plan. And maybe a loud BOOM goes off during that time.

It was a case of weighing the risks, i guess.

(while, mind you, wearing all black and sunglasses)

Yeah, Chris,... same ballpark. :o

301911[/snapback]

Right, people who wear sunglasses outside and wear black are evil. That's the way it works in the movies, so it has to be true! Hot Pockets, indeed.

Ever think maybe the person doesn't speak English? Maybe they're deaf (as mentioned here)? But no, everyone is guilty until proven innocent because of 9/11. :P

People who are willing to give up their rights don't deserve them.

CW

Ok, and Maybe David Caresh was just an average collector of guns who liked to hang out with a large group of friends at his ranch.

The guy got tackled. If he was innocent, he'll get the ton of money he feels he deserves for it. If he was up to something, lives may have been saved.

Maybe the police could have waited longer, maybe they could have set up a remote location and come up with an hours long game plan. And maybe a loud BOOM goes off during that time.

It was a case of weighing the risks, i guess.

301915[/snapback]

It's ALWAYS a case of weighing the risks. Life is risk management.

In this case...I can't help thinking the Capitol Police were precipitous at best (stupid at worst). Expressing surprise and fear at seeing people with suitcases outside public buildings that are popular tourist destinations a few blocks away from a major commuter hub is just a little short sighted.

Right, people who wear sunglasses outside and wear black are evil.  That's the way it works in the movies, so it has to be true!  Hot Pockets, indeed.

Ever think maybe the person doesn't speak English?  Maybe they're deaf (as mentioned here)?  But no, everyone is guilty until proven innocent because of 9/11.  :P

CW

301916[/snapback]

I'm not willing to give up my rights, chris. But the point is, the world did change somewhat (like it or not) after 9/11.

The guy is dressed all in black. He is standing at the Capitol next to two bags. He is wearing sunglasses.

Suspicious? Maybe. But Maybe not.

Ok, the cops don't want to chance the "maybe not". So they start to sneak up behind him. He sees them (as shown in this pic man looking at police. He does nothing. They yell to him. Nothing still.

Ok, so now we're dealing with a man who is dressed all in black, with two large bags next to him, who is apparently deaf? Ok. So is he blind as well? Oh, the chances of that are 1 in what, a 10 million?

Chris, they didn't shoot the guy. They tackled him.

You said I'm willing to give up my rights? No, I'm not. But if I;m doing what that guy is, and I see a swarm of cops coming up and see that they are obviously yelling at me, my hands would go up, I would show cooperation... something.

Ever think maybe the person doesn't speak English?  Maybe they're deaf (as mentioned here)?  But no, everyone is guilty until proven innocent because of 9/11.  :P

CW

301916[/snapback]

Give me a break. Don't be jackass in public. If that guy was too stupid to know what he was doing was going to raise some eyebrows, then get him the hell out of there.

Just like some on a plane making some wise comment about having a bomb on a plane.

Don't blame people for reacting to the reality of the world we now live. Why not blame the jerkoffs hijack planes and make threats to kill infidels instead?

Give me a break. Don't be jackass in public. If that guy was too stupid to know what he was doing was going to raise some eyebrows, then get him the hell out of there.

Just like some on a plane making some wise comment about having a bomb on a plane.

Don't blame people for reacting to the reality of the world we now live. Why not blame the jerkoffs hijack planes and make threats to kill infidels instead?

301926[/snapback]

And exactly what reality is that? What exactly has happened on our soil since 9/11? NOTHING. And it has nothing to do with "tighter security," because 99% of it is simply window dressing. No nail files on planes? Give me a freak'n break. United Airlines gave my wife and me a GLASS BOTTLE of champaign when we flew on our honeymoon ONE MONTH after 9/11. I think a broken bottle can be a bit more dangerous than a nail file. But I guess terrorists can't pretend to go on a honeymoon. :P

Oh, and on our way back from England, we were allowed to bring a sturdy wooden, metal-tipped umbrella onto the plane (thank goodness, since it wouldn't fit in the luggage). That was allowed on as well, because it "wasn't on the list of banned items." Again, the umbrella was MUCH more dangerous than any nail file.

I'm sick of the "it's ok, because it's making me safer" bullcrap, because all it's doing is taking away more and more civil liberties and NOT making anyone safer. At all.

CW

And exactly what reality is that?  What exactly has happened on our soil since 9/11?  NOTHING.  And it has nothing to do with "tighter security," because 99% of it is simply window dressing.  No nail files on planes?  Give me a freak'n break.  United Airlines gave my wife and me a GLASS BOTTLE of champaign when we flew on our honeymoon ONE MONTH after 9/11.  I think a broken bottle can be a bit more dangerous than a nail file.  But I guess terrorists can't pretend to go on a honeymoon. :P

I'm sick of the "it's ok, because it's making me safer" bullcrap, because all it's doing is taking away more and more civil liberties and NOT making anyone safer.  At all.

CW

301931[/snapback]

No nail files on a plane? Oh the horror! Call Amensity International and Bono.

I am sure all this hype about terrorism is just created to make you miserable.