Trump’s Second Term, What Will It Look Like?

Tiberius

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

Yes.  Clinton lied about getting BJ's.  Obama lied about the ACA reducing health insurance premiums for families.  Big difference. 

i would only trust a politician when they hired me, and only for the check going to my account for pay

25 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You are a perfect example of what weed can do to a mind. The NWS initial prediction was that the hurricane could hit Alabama. Trump doesn't need to have the BLS make up statistics, even though I'm sure they wouldn't. The fact that wages are up is what backs up all of the other statistics. Wages are the indicator of the degree of prosperity. Try staying off the weed and maybe you can think things through clearly.

Initially the hurricane's path was predicted to hit AL but it turned north.  After the turn, Trump made a mistake and stated AL was still in danger.  As you said, it was going there so not a huge mistake but still at that point in time, he was wrong.  Rather than admit his mistake and be done with it, his fragile ego required support.  That lead to pressuring the NWS to cover for Trump.

If I understand your point, you are saying that the BLS wage number proves that the other BLS statistics must be correct.  That is flawed.

Also, are you sure he wouldn't pressure the BLS to help him win the 2020 election?  He pressures foreign governments to help him win.  He pressures the Fed Chair to make his economy look better.  He pressured his Attorney Generals several times, etc. 

But, with the 2020 election hanging in the balance, you are sure he wouldn't pressure the BLS.  And, you are so sure because why?  His honesty, ethics, track record, or what?

3 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Initially the hurricane's path was predicted to hit AL but it turned north.  After the turn, Trump made a mistake and stated AL was still in danger.  As you said, it was going there so not a huge mistake but still at that point in time, he was wrong.  Rather than admit his mistake and be done with it, his fragile ego required support.  That lead to pressuring the NWS to cover for Trump.

If I understand your point, you are saying that the BLS wage number proves that the other BLS statistics must be correct.  That is flawed.

Also, are you sure he wouldn't pressure the BLS to help him win the 2020 election?  He pressures foreign governments to help him win.  He pressures the Fed Chair to make his economy look better.  He pressured his Attorney Generals several times, etc. 

But, with the 2020 election hanging in the balance, you are sure he wouldn't pressure the BLS.  And, you are so sure because why?  His honesty, ethics, track record, or what?

Look at the unemployment numbers. Obama's "jobs created" by month were always being revised downward a month or two later. Trump's are always being revised upwards. He does not pressure the Fed to make his economy look better. He pressures the Fed to make his economy be better. Big difference.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Look at the unemployment numbers. Obama's "jobs created" by month were always being revised downward a month or two later. Trump's are always being revised upwards. He does not pressure the Fed to make his economy look better. He pressures the Fed to make his economy be better. Big difference.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-pressures-fed-and-thanks-house-republicans-after-impeachment-meeting-stormed-2019-10-24

Why further goose an economy that is great?  That is shooting ammo that we may need if the economy takes a hard downturn.  At least that is what I have read. 

So, why?  To make it look better for the voters, imo.  Appearances are more important than reality to our former reality TV personality.  Given a choice of solving a problem in secret versus appearing to, but not actually, solving the problem in public, Trump would choose to look good every time.

Recall those business leader summits?  Nothing came of them but they were terrific photo ops.  Recall the Parkland School survivor summit?  Same   Congressional Leader meetings on guns?  Drugs?  Same.   Same.  North Korean summits?  Same.  Appearances over substance.

Trump would favor a course that looked better to the voters even if it did not solve the problem.  That describes BLS meddling perfectly.

I think his second term will be difficult.  No President has a *great* second term.    It would not surprise me to see him resign 2-3 years into it.

Recessions are cyclical and we're due for one.  I think issues like Afghanistan, state pensions, infrastructure, and healthcare will *require* action, likely very unpopular action with his base.  He will likely get to appoint another 1-2 Supreme Court judges but those will end up being bargaining chips to get legislative priorities accomplished.  

The GOP will exert more effort to reign in the tweets, the Trump personality and the Trump family.  He's a lame duck the hour after inauguration and the party will want to build the case for Pence in 2024.  I expect you'll see more visible GOP push back and behind the scenes efforts to get people into vacant positions.  He will hate being boxed in and he'll just quit.  You'll see Pence take on a more prominent role.

As for the Democrats, I expect them to lose their impeachment fiasco and the 2020 election.  I think the former will significantly impact the latter.  I think the party will reset at that point with somebody not named Obama or Clinton.  I'd expect the inquires to die down but the resistance to do anything whatsoever legislatively, to remain.  

16 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Given a choice of solving a problem in secret versus appearing to, but not actually, solving the problem in public, Trump would choose to look good every time.

You just summed up 44's entire domestic and foreign policy agendas. 

The projection is so thick, you can't see it through all that haze of smoke, Bob. 

Never smoke and post, Bob.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You just summed up 44's entire domestic and foreign policy agendas. 

The projection is so thick, you can't see it through all that haze of smoke, Bob. 

Never smoke and post, Bob.

Whataboutism, and an untruthful one at that. 

It's true. 

Obama couldn't give a press conference without a teleprompter. Image and appearance trumped results in his administration every time. Doubt it? 

Go back to his promises: 

To end wars -- he started two new ones, including an illegal one wherein he armed AQ

To stop domestic spying -- he doubled the size of the secret courts and expanded NSA spying ten fold

To end racism -- he divided more than he united, because it was better for his image to appear to be a victim than to solve any problems.

He was a terrible president, and a worse person.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's true. 

Obama couldn't give a press conference without a teleprompter. Image and appearance trumped results in his administration every time. Doubt it? 

Go back to his promises: 

To end wars -- he started two new ones, including an illegal one wherein he armed AQ

To stop domestic spying -- he doubled the size of the secret courts and expanded NSA spying ten fold

To end racism -- he divided more than he united, because it was better for his image to appear to be a victim than to solve any problems.

Yes, but Obama stopped the rise of the oceans and had 8 consecutive summers of recovery.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's true. 

Go back to his promises: 

Obama talked to the press all the time. Trump does that and he can't help but admit to crimes. It's stunning anyone would compare Obama to Trump and see Trump as in any way better. The guy is a wreck and Obama was a good man 

15 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think his second term will be difficult.  No President has a *great* second term.    It would not surprise me to see him resign 2-3 years into it.

Recessions are cyclical and we're due for one.  I think issues like Afghanistan, state pensions, infrastructure, and healthcare will *require* action, likely very unpopular action with his base.  He will likely get to appoint another 1-2 Supreme Court judges but those will end up being bargaining chips to get legislative priorities accomplished.  

The GOP will exert more effort to reign in the tweets, the Trump personality and the Trump family.  He's a lame duck the hour after inauguration and the party will want to build the case for Pence in 2024.  I expect you'll see more visible GOP push back and behind the scenes efforts to get people into vacant positions.  He will hate being boxed in and he'll just quit.  You'll see Pence take on a more prominent role.

As for the Democrats, I expect them to lose their impeachment fiasco and the 2020 election.  I think the former will significantly impact the latter.  I think the party will reset at that point with somebody not named Obama or Clinton.  I'd expect the inquires to die down but the resistance to do anything whatsoever legislatively, to remain.  

Good post.  I don't necessarily agree with all the points but you make many good ones. 

I don't expect oversight inquiries to die down.  The guy creates unethical situations in machine like fashion and so, the inquiries will proceed at an equal pace.

4 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Good post.  I don't necessarily agree with all the points but you make many good ones. 

I don't expect oversight inquiries to die down.  The guy creates unethical situations in machine like fashion and so, the inquiries will proceed at an equal pace.

And Bob is fine with endless, baseless inquiries -- so long as they're focused on ORANGE MAN BAD -- not the encroachment of unelected, unregulated CIA and IC officials attempting to undo a legal election because they disagree with the choice the people made. 

That's FINE with Bob. 

As are networks who protect pedophiles -- they're still good sources of info so long as they give Bob that sweet, sweet, ORANGE MAN BAD black tar heroin to shoot up. 

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And Bob is fine with endless, baseless inquiries -- so long as they're focused on ORANGE MAN BAD -- not the encroachment of unelected, unregulated CIA and IC officials attempting to undo a legal election because they disagree with the choice the people made. 

That's FINE with Bob. 

As are networks who protect pedophiles -- they're still good sources of info so long as they give Bob that sweet, sweet, ORANGE MAN BAD black tar heroin to shoot up. 

Dude, Trump is a criminal

You think Trump University was a legitamate business? 

• Like (+1) 1