Sunday Nite Football Patriots*** at Ravens 8:20 ET NBC

My takeaways:

- This was the most un-Patriots performance by the Patriots since the game that forced Bill to utter the immortal words "we are on to Cincinnati". In many ways they beat themselves. Penalties on a FG attempt that gave the Ravens 1st and goal, Edelman's first fumble in THREE years goes for 6 the other way. Brady recklessly throwing to nobody down the middle. They normally make you beat them. Last night they gave the Ravens a little help.

- The Patriots Oline has been a problem all year but a lot of their opponents so far have just not been able to take full advantage. Wouldn't be surprised to see changes up front next week. Belichick and Scarnecchia are masters at juggling the same below average personnel and finding a better combination. Marshall Newhouse at LT is not getting you another Lombardi.

- Greg Roman is an absolute genius of a run game coordinator. And if you have a QB who is a dynamic runner and still trying to get there as a passer he will pistol formation you to death.

- People shouldn't get carried away. The Ravens have always been a tough out for the Patriots. Twice they have beaten the Pats in Foxborough in the playoffs and if Lee Evans could catch and the officials knew the eligible receiver rules then that might well be FOUR playoff wins against them. They are one of the few teams in the NFL who are not half beaten by New England before they walk on the field. And the reason for that is.....

- That when the Patriots play the Ravens Belichick has his smallest coaching advantage of any opponent in the NFL. John Harbaugh is the 2nd best Head Coach in the league. His ability to reinvent his team year on year and adjust their schemes to the players they have is absolutely stellar. He always seems to make smart assistant coach hires too.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My takeaways:

- This was the most un-Patriots performance by the Patriots since the game that forced Bill to utter the immortal words "we are on to Cincinnati". In many ways they beat themselves. Penalties on a FG attempt that gave the Ravens 1st and goal, Edelman's first fumble in THREE years goes for 6 the other way. Brady recklessly throwing to nobody down the middle. They normally make you beat them. Last night they gave the Ravens a little help.

- The Patriots Oline has been a problem all year but a lot of their opponents so far have just not been able to take full advantage. Wouldn't be surprised to see changes up front next week. Belichick and Scarnecchia are masters at juggling the same below average personnel and finding a better combination. Marshall Newhouse at LT is not getting you another Lombardi.

- Greg Roman is an absolute genius of a run game coordinator. And if you have a QB who is a dynamic runner and still trying to get there as a passer he will pistol formation you to death.

- People shouldn't get carried away. The Ravens have always been a tough out for the Patriots. Twice they have beaten the Pats in Foxborough in the playoffs and if Lee Evans could catch and the officials knew the eligible receiver rules then that might well be FOUR playoff wins against them. They are one of the few teams in the NFL who are not half beaten by New England before they walk on the field. And the reason for that is.....

- That when the Patriots play the Ravens Belichick has his smallest coaching advantage of any opponent in the NFL. John Harbaugh is the 2nd best Head Coach in the league. His ability to reinvent his team year on year and adjust their schemes to the players they have is absolutely stellar. He always seems to make smart assistant coach hires too.

Good stuff.  As I watched that game I was amazed by how much the Pats*** helped the Ravens with their own ineptitude.  It gave me renewed hope that a division title for the Bills is not a pipe dream (albeit still unlikely).  Think how bad the Pats*** O would be without Sanu?

It's also funny that over the past several years many Ravens fans wanted Harbaugh gone.  I don't know if I agree with you that he is that good but he's a top 10 coach for sure.

I admit I'm a little bit worried thinking about Buffalo trying to defend that rushing attack in a month...

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Hmmm...that's too hard of a question to answer on a Sunday night.

The Pats are able be run on. (Although that move by Jackson was scary! ) the simple fact is outside of the Ravens no other team has the patience just to run the ball constantly.. Even the Ravens would have probably lost if Edelman doesn’t fumble. (That’s a 14 point swing.)  But yes they suck against the run.. but there is no other team left that scares me for running like them.. I mean Option plays etc  like a college offense. 

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Baltimore is a good team.  The Pats got their points off a SpT mistake and a BS fumble.  I don't think we beat the Ravens.

again i'm not saying we will just saying the ravens are gonna be a funny team to play.  if you can slow down the run game they will look terrible at times like vick used to.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

My takeaways:

The Refs did know the rules and followed them correctly  .   Remember that the NFL itself clarified that the trick play was perfectly legal .  The Pats took advantage of a loop hole  that was quickly closed the next season.   

People who compare LJ to JA because they are both young and mobile should take into consideration that LJ is a quick “water bug” runner, and JA is a straight ahead power runner. It’s a little easier for a water bug runner to make something out of nothing without absorbing as much hard contact. 

Edited by Gray Beard

23 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

The Refs did know the rules and followed them correctly  .   Remember that the NFL itself clarified that the trick play was perfectly legal .  The Pats took advantage of a loop hole  that was quickly closed the next season.   

You are right it was when they did it the next week against the Colts in the AFCCG that they ran a play out of a receiver ineligible formation that was actually illegal under the rules as they existed at the time. I got them the wrong way round I thought they ran them illegally against Baltimore then legally against the Colts but it was the Solder touchdown against the Colts that was illegal because you cannot have a player in on two consecutive plays who is ineligible and then on the very next play eligible without leaving the game for a play in between.

22 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

People who compare LA to JA because they are both young and mobile should take into consideration that LA is a quick “water bug” runner, and JA is a straight ahead power runner. It’s a little easier for a water bug runner to make something out of nothing without absorbing as much hard contact. 

Who is LA?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My 3 takeaways from this game:

1) Brady may be closer to being done than I thought; he has nothing on longish throws; he basically can't throw long balls anymore and that's not just based on this game against Baltimore  

2) We are going to get slammed by Baltimore

3) The Bills are not developing/using Josh Allen in the right way; his talents are not being optimized; McDermott should study what Baltimore is doing with Lamar and take notes; they should cease pretending Josh is a pocket passer who can read defenses and take them apart pre-snap; he can't.

They are very different players.

I think Josh is a rythymn passer and Daboll screws him up by having the offense dawdle around. He goes into his slow down mode and snaps the ball under 5 seconds for a run up the middle. Rinse and repeat.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You are right it was when they did it the next week against the Colts in the AFCCG that they ran a play out of a receiver ineligible formation that was actually illegal under the rules as they existed at the time. I got them the wrong way round I thought they ran them illegally against Baltimore then legally against the Colts but it was the Solder touchdown against the Colts that was illegal because you cannot have a player in on two consecutive plays who is ineligible and then on the very next play eligible without leaving the game for a play in between.

Who is LA?

LA is a senior moment. LJ. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Who is LA?

Lamarcus Aldridge, power forward for the Baltimore Ravens.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

My takeaways:

Great comment. I really agree on the  John Harbaugh part. I think he is a heck of a coach. I was surprised the last few years when there was talk that he was going to get fired. He's a big time coach.

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The Ravens are running the Navy offense, let’s settle right down.

Your point? It’s a winning brand of football. He’s thrown for over 1,800 yards (more than Jimmy G, Allen, Brissett, etc). He’s run for another 637 which has him as a top 10 rusher in the whole league!! He’s scored 17 TDs and has 5 turnovers. He’s 5th in the NFL in QBR and just shredded a great NE defense. What is it specifically that you don’t like (other than the fact that you were wrong about him coming out)? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Your point? It’s a winning brand of football. He’s thrown for over 1,800 yards (more than Jimmy G, Allen, Brissett, etc). He’s run for another 637 which has him as a top 10 rusher in the whole league!! He’s scored 17 TDs and has 5 turnovers. He’s 5th in the NFL in QBR and just shredded a great NE defense. What is it specifically that you don’t like (other than the fact that you were wrong about him coming out)? 

Yeah man, the pistol, triple option running offense has proven to be super sustainable in the NFL. It’s the reason we can’t have a conversation about the best QB’s in the league without mentioning Kaepernick and RG3.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah man, the pistol, triple option running offense has proven to be super sustainable in the NFL. It’s the reason we can’t have a conversation about the best QB’s in the league without mentioning Kaepernick and RG3.

He’s throwing for 226 yards a game. That’s not triple option. Honestly, why are people doubling down on their bad pre-draft opinions? As of today he’s ABSOLUTELY the furthest along of the 1st round QBs from last year. He’s an MVP candidate at this point (not that I think he will win). He’s 12-3 as a starter.

• Like (+1) 4