Trent Murphy talks playing his old team; “fresh meat” rookie QBs

YoloinOhio

38 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I liked him better last season when he was limping around. At least there was an excuse.

There's actually truth here. The prevailing wisdom was that Murphy would produce if he could just stay on the field. So far, no good. He's healthy and NOT producing. 

At least there was that glimmer or HOPE coming into the season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

High character PED guy...good job Beane and McD. Way to stay true to your values. 

Worst signing of Beane era, even worse than Vontae Davis. Complete waste of money and snaps

Ethan, do ya need a tissue? As the most moral man on this planet you must be in a constant state of disappointment, being your own example of purity has not been followed by the rest of the planets population. Life’s a B-T-H aye...    calm your soul man, find something important to be upset about, then do more than rant, thanks, nuthin but love,

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Being consistently productive and playing up to his contract would beat the hell out of looking dominant for the first time all season against a rookie on a 1-win team.

Wouldn't oppose Darryl Johnson getting more of Murphy's reps. 

I am fine with letting the season run. perhaps find a way to shake Murphy loose more often.

what they are doing has not gotten ANY of our D ends  to the QB. McD and Frazier seem too dependant on using the" back seven".

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I doubt he even steps up then. Guy is utterly useless filler. Hopefully they can find an improvement in the offseason. Shouldn't be too difficult. At least he’s staying healthy this season? That is a feather in his cap I suppose. 

When the starter is pretty useless and invisible, such as in this situation, it might not be so inaccurate. 

Well, it's like this.  The coaches see these guys in OTAs, training camp, preseason, and practice every week.

Either the coaches lack eyeballs and judgement (in which case that's the real problem) OR they see both guys and can form an appropriate conclusion about which one is better.

Now I grant you that at times our coaches have, in fact, lacked eyeballs and judgement (as witness the decision to bench Tyrod Taylor for Nate Peterman in 2017, and the decision to start the season with Nate Peterman in 2018).  But that is usually on the offensive side of the ball, and the coach responsible for the 1st decision was sent packing that off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, it's like this.  The coaches see these guys in OTAs, training camp, preseason, and practice every week.

Either the coaches lack eyeballs and judgement (in which case that's the real problem) OR they see both guys and can form an appropriate conclusion about which one is better.

Now I grant you that at times our coaches have, in fact, lacked eyeballs and judgement (as witness the decision to bench Tyrod Taylor for Nate Peterman in 2017, and the decision to start the season with Nate Peterman in 2018).  But that is usually on the offensive side of the ball, and the coach responsible for the 1st decision was sent packing that off-season.

I am going to hold Coaching accountable every time.
Game day Coaching that is.
Last week was accountability day for the whole Team. Coaches need to respond.

just my simple opinion Hap

DE is a big concern next season with Shaq most likely moving on... haven’t really been impressed with Murphy’s play and I think it’s hard to justify paying him next season even though they have limited depth 

Also I believe Jerry hasn’t been playing as well as last year and he is not getting any younger.. 

I think they need to target a big name in FA (Ngakoue maybe) and draft another one early..

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

High character PED guy...good job Beane and McD. Way to stay true to your values. 

Worst signing of Beane era, even worse than Vontae Davis. Complete waste of money and snaps

Yup. Hated the signing from day one and I love Stanford players.  But he will have like 3 sacks tomorrow and then continue to do nothing the rest of the year.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

DE is a big concern next season with Shaq most likely moving on... haven’t really been impressed with Murphy’s play and I think it’s hard to justify paying him next season even though they have limited depth 

Also I believe Jerry hasn’t been playing as well as last year and he is not getting any younger.. 

I think they need to target a big name in FA (Ngakoue maybe) and draft another one early..

It definitely is.  Hughes has averaged 5 sacks for the last 4 years.  He’s not that good.  We need an elite pass rusher for this defense to become a truly elite unit.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Need Murphy to be a killer all the time. He is solid but nothing special either.

10 tackles and 0 sacks is solid??? Dear lord, he sucks.  Complete waste of money for a guy with A PED suspension, major injury, and 19 sacks in 5 years for a “pass rusher.”

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

he’s not even solid.

Not even close. Lawson is kinda solid. Pass rusher is the weakness on this defense. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

10 tackles and 0 sacks is solid??? Dear lord, he sucks.  Complete waste of money for a guy with A PED suspension, major injury, and 19 sacks in 5 years for a “pass rusher.”

Not even close. Lawson is kinda solid. Pass rusher is the weakness on this defense. 

Jerry Hughes disagrees:

"He’s definitely gotten a lot better and more productive, as far as his activity, being around the ball, flying around the ball, handling tight ends, because he’s more confident in his legs this year,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. “He probably still wants to be more productive on third down and being around the ball, but I just like his toughness, how he approaches every single down playing hard. He’s one of those grinders, and one of those guys you want to go to battle with every single week.”

3 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Why cant we find a 10+ sack DE ( besides Hughes like 3 years ago ) and a run stuffing DT ? 

Well two DE’s that we had a shot to get THIS YEAR end up in Seattle,

I guess the Seahawks value the position a little MORE then we do 

Edited by Putin

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jerry Hughes disagrees:

"He’s definitely gotten a lot better and more productive, as far as his activity, being around the ball, flying around the ball, handling tight ends, because he’s more confident in his legs this year,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. “He probably still wants to be more productive on third down and being around the ball, but I just like his toughness, how he approaches every single down playing hard. He’s one of those grinders, and one of those guys you want to go to battle with every single week.”

Wow, I totally changed my mind now. I was expecting a teammate to say Murphy sucks, should give back the money, and that he smells really bad! ?

Also, you need to re-read the quote you posted. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jerry Hughes disagrees:

So when does he get his lunchbox?

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I am fine with letting the season run. perhaps find a way to shake Murphy loose more often.

what they are doing has not gotten ANY of our D ends  to the QB. McD and Frazier seem too dependant on using the" back seven".

I feel like pass rush potential should be undeniable first, and then after that you find ways to get a player free to the QB.

Johnson seems to have a natural feel for rushing the QB that Murphy doesn't...gotta get productive players on the field, I feel.

I remember when posters here criticized me for suggesting that Murphy was only an average defensive end when we signed him. So many were sure that he would become a dominant force.

Well, it seems the Redskins were right to not resign him. He's a rotational player at best.

Now we've come full circle and posters here are saying Murphy is trash and they don't want him on the field. That's way too extreme. Murphy is just average. He isn't great, he isn't terrible.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Ethan, do ya need a tissue? As the most moral man on this planet you must be in a constant state of disappointment, being your own example of purity has not been followed by the rest of the planets population. Life’s a B-T-H aye...    calm your soul man, find something important to be upset about, then do more than rant, thanks, nuthin but love,

Go Bills!!!

He spilled his chocolate milk a few days ago a d is still sore about it.