Trent Murphy talks playing his old team; “fresh meat” rookie QBs

YoloinOhio

great article - he and Jerry sound fired up 

We understand it’s going to be big for Trent,” defensive end Jerry Hughes said, “so we want to go out there and take it to these guys. We want to let them know that he’s an extraordinary player, we’re happy to have him and we want to show them what he has brought to this team and what’s he’s brought to our D-line room.”

Murphy said he’s treating this matchup as “really just the next opponent. It’s the next ‘1-0’ and I’m pretty professional about it that way.”

But Hughes, one of Murphy’s closest friends on the team, said there’s always extra motivation when facing your former team.

“Especially when they didn't value you the way they should have,” Hughes said. “You certainly bring an extra edge. And it’s not like we needed any more edge.”

He’s definitely gotten a lot better and more productive, as far as his activity, being around the ball, flying around the ball, handling tight ends, because he’s more confident in his legs this year,” linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. “He probably still wants to be more productive on third down and being around the ball, but I just like his toughness, how he approaches every single down playing hard. He’s one of those grinders, and one of those guys you want to go to battle with every single week.”

In seven games this season, Murphy has recorded his first career interception, a career-high three pass breakups and recovered a fumble, but he’s still looking for his first sack.

It could come against his former team, especially since Washington starting quarterback Case Keenum is sidelined by a concussion and rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins will make his first career start.

Haskins is the proverbial fresh meat. And Murphy knows it.

“A lot of times rookies are not as savvy to the league,” Murphy said. “They hold the ball a little longer, sometimes they sit deeper in the pocket and things like that. They’ll watch the rush. I definitely always enjoy playing rookies, just because they’re so young and green to the league.”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just to be clear, it doesn't seem as though Murphy or Hughes used the term "fresh meat" to describe Haskins.  Sounds like a writer trying to generate some bulletin board material.

The only fresh meat I want to see on the field tomorrow is our defense, as last week they thought it was an early Halloween and looked dead. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just to be clear, it doesn't seem as though Murphy or Hughes used the term "fresh meat" to describe Haskins.  Sounds like a writer trying to generate some bulletin board material.

I think it was a play on words based on all of his hunting and meat stories 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it was a play on words based on all of his hunting and meat stories 

That would make sense.

11 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Yeah, what better time for Trent Murphy to begin imposing his will than against a rookie QB on a 1-win team?

Would beat the hell out of failing to impose his will against a rookie QB on a 1 win team

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would make sense.

Would beat the hell out of failing to impose his will against a rookie QB on a 1 win team

...I was actually throwing out a little "tongue 'n cheek" humor about the "Mat"; Murph seems relatively healthy and facing his ex-teammates may come up big for him....hope so...

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would make sense.

Being consistently productive and playing up to his contract would beat the hell out of looking dominant for the first time all season against a rookie on a 1-win team.

Wouldn't oppose Darryl Johnson getting more of Murphy's reps. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Being consistently productive and playing up to his contract would beat the hell out of looking dominant for the first time all season against a rookie on a 1-win team.

Wouldn't oppose Darryl Johnson getting more of Murphy's reps. 

Ah, the old "backup most popular guy in town" phenomenon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Yeah, what better time for Trent Murphy to begin imposing his will than against a rookie QB on a 1-win team?

I doubt he even steps up then. Guy is utterly useless filler. Hopefully they can find an improvement in the offseason. Shouldn't be too difficult. At least he’s staying healthy this season? That is a feather in his cap I suppose. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When the starter is pretty useless and invisible, such as in this situation, it might not be so inaccurate. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's brought 0 sacks to the D line room. Why does it take a player going against his old team to get motivated? He'll get 2 sacks Sunday then we won't hear from him the rest of the season.  I want consistency,  not revenge. 

0 sacks and 5 tackles... in 7 games. Pretty sure we could put a cardboard cutout on the end and it would luck into 5 tackles. 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, it's the old "give the guy who affected QB play throughout preseason and at times during the regular season with his limited opportunities more snaps" call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I doubt he even steps up then. Guy is utterly useless filler. Hopefully they can find an improvement in the offseason. Shouldn't be too difficult. At least he’s staying healthy this season? That is a feather in his cap I suppose. 

When the starter is pretty useless and invisible, such as in this situation, it might not be so inaccurate. 

The improvement could very easily be Darryl Johnson right now, if just from a pass-rushing standpoint.