Stay out of the Adirondacks

Just Jack

Vermont too!

My sister's town in N.Vermont east of St.Albans is getting ripped! People displaced

I have video too... Of river... But probably can't get it under the site limits.

"Turn around don't drown"

It only takes an little bit to break the four points of rubber on tires to turn your vehicle into a boat and start floating if vehicle doesn't get snagged.  That truck looks like it got swept off the road:

FB95IMG951572608850615.thumb.jpg.feb64d30afbc6df5c756b3288423afbb.jpg

Got more pictures... But reaching max on site.

It's very sad but our infrastructure is crumbling.  Worse is that our elected "representatives" are too busy fighting and investigating each other to pay attention.  Very little representing going on!

A couple of years ago I drove US240 from US 30 in PA, N to BUF.  PA had a lot of flooding issues due to too much rain for the ground to absorb.  Flash flood damage made US240 a mess.  Bridges out and detours everywhere.  I would guess the roads in the Adirondacks are similar, and maybe as old too?   So many of the roads and bridges have far outlived their design life, and nothing is being done!  NYS should be ashamed considering the tax money that they demand.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

It's very sad but our infrastructure is crumbling.  Worse is that our elected "representatives" are too busy fighting and investigating each other to pay attention.  Very little representing going on!

A couple of years ago I drove US240 from US 30 in PA, N to BUF.  PA had a lot of flooding issues due to too much rain for the ground to absorb.  Flash flood damage made US240 a mess.  Bridges out and detours everywhere.  I would guess the roads in the Adirondacks are similar, and maybe as old too?   So many of the roads and bridges have far outlived their design life, and nothing is being done!  NYS should be ashamed considering the tax money that they demand.

Prob about 10 years back I was working in Little Valley. Pretty big storm came through and flooded the whole area. Took us about 10 hours to get from little valley to buffalo. There were very large chunks of road from who knows where all over the place. Downtown Ellicottville was completely flooded and couldn’t get through. Gowanda got it pretty bad I think their hospital had to be closed for good after. Was amazing how easily the roads washed away. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Ticonderoga?  Who cares?  They're Canadian, for all practical purposes.

Just tell me that Tupper Lake is okay.

Tupper Lake is actually much closer to Canada than Ticonderoga is.

It's far more beautiful, though.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Tupper Lake is actually much closer to Canada than Ticonderoga is.

It's far more beautiful, though.

39 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Ticonderoga?  Who cares?  They're Canadian, for all practical purposes.

Just tell me that Tupper Lake is okay.

The tree top walk in Tupper Lake is on my list of things to do.  It looks like fun.  

https://www.wildcatter.org/visit/wild-walk/

My Dad had a cousin that lived in Tupper Lake.  I remember when the NYC had steam trains running up there in the 50's.  Used to be plant there that made bowling pins, back when bowling was big.  Mostly made from birch wood.

Lived in Seattle during the 6.8 quake in 2001.  My wife asked me why the house was shaking and I said it's either an earthquake of the NYC just ran a steam loco across the front yard.  That's what the quake felt like.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:26 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Buckle up, you ready to go cruisin'?  LoL

You know what will help infrastructure for the nation as a whole?  Revitalized infrastructure spread more equitably?

1. Stop the need to rebuild the infrastructure repeatedly in areas that get Federal funding, aid.  You live in the danger zone like flood plains, the coasts, mountain area prone to fire, etc... MOVE. Fix it one time.  If it happens again, condemn it, return it to the earth.

2. Stop diverting Congressionally appropriated money, personnel, and resources to other projects.  Like TheWall® & the Middle East. Except lock and dam infrastructure in Chicago, all that money can go to wars and walls. LoL...?

Some of this means states like Florida have to institute an income tax to discourage people from flocking to the environmental danger zone.  That added revenue would go far in making the yearly repairs to the infrastructure things like hurricanes bring.  Right now, a lot of those repairs are reliant on Federal aid.  By doing so, bringing Fed aid, the Fed has to reach towards Big Ag like Big Sugar, Big Beef, etc... To  bring an economic benefit to the rest of the Union.  It ain't working... Too many people enticed by cheap taxes keep flocking to the coasts causing the problems to compound. Then the tourists keep on returning justifying the flawed, unsustainable investment by the rest of the nation... While we are all hopped up sugar, getting heart attacks from beef, and over-stimulated @ Disney World.  Just look at the two clowns I am carbon copying this post to. ?

I am not gonna fall for that Global Warming/Climate Change political football.  Humans are causing the damage. Just like the bad farming practices & overpopulation that led to the Dust Bowls.  The population walked their way out of that mess... We can surely discourage the masses from settling in the Coastal regions and Mountains that chew up annually so much of our collective resources toward equitable infrastructure appropriation. Oh, and the silly boondoggles too, like walls, wars, & carp (I just had to get that in here, ?).

Sorry... Now the legal part, please disregard this part:

CC:

@BringBackFergy

@Cripple Creek