Chargers fire OC Ken Whisenhunt

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

When Big Ben first got into the league, his OC was...

Ken Whisenhunt! :D

For real though, he is on a short list of guys I think would fit Josh better than Daboll

I recall that Wisenhunt has Pittsburgh roots.  He was also the Cardinals HC for a few years before getting fired.

I'm wondering if his OC and HC stint has run its course and getting him now would be a typical retread pickup; he's here, then fails to do anything good for 2-3 seasons and gets canned.

I'd be more inclined to look elsewhere for an OC, though I don't trust McD to do so (he can't pick good coordinators).  He and Beane also needs to be told anything from Carolina is off limits since they can't help sticking their hands in that cookie jar and coming up with stinkers.

Not sure what the answer is with OC.

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is a trade I could get behind.  Not sure who the OC would be...wonder what Chan Gailey is doing.

I wouldn't mind Ken Wisenhunt.  He coached Ben Rothelisburger in his earlier years...he was the one the Steelers kept when releasing Mularkey.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Lynn sucks. Plain and simple.

Why would you say that? The Bills offense produced in 2016 when he was the OC, and prior to this season he was 21-11 at SD (and he took over a 5-11 team).

My own suspicion is that the ending of the Titans game might have brought things to a head. That was some terrible playcalling at the goal line by SD. Not sure who was responsible.  

EDIT: "Whisenhunt’s playcalling, particularly his insistence to get Gordon involved when he was clearly ineffective, led to the frustration of fans and the team. Philip Rivers was shown arguing with the coaching staff early on in the game on Sunday."

https://boltbeat.com/2019/10/28/chargers-fired-offensive-coordinator-ken-whisenhunt/

Looks like stupidly slamming Gordon in twice with no timeouts (he fumbled both times too) was Whisenhunt's call, and it also looks like Rivers was unhappy with him. 

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I wouldn't mind Ken Wisenhunt.  He coached Ben Rothelisburger in his earlier years...he was the one the Steelers kept when releasing Mularkey.

My concern is at this point he will fall into lame retread territory.  Maybe that concern is unfounded, but he had a fair amount to work with at the Chargers and they couldn't beat the better teams, especially in the playoffs.  They never really outscored a quality team.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Lynn sucks. Plain and simple.

He is probably a better OC than HC, that happens.  Lynn did a good job with Tyrod while he was given OC duties in 2016.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No to the Wiz. The 2005 Steelers offense was great.... in 2005. Put him in the Mike McCarthy bucket of offensive dinosaur. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-ken-whisenhunt-firing-steve-steichen-interim/

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

My concern is at this point he will fall into lame retread territory.  Maybe that concern is unfounded, but he had a fair amount to work with at the Chargers and they couldn't beat the better teams, especially in the playoffs.  They never really outscored a quality team.

He is probably a better OC than HC, that happens.  Lynn did a good job with Tyrod while he was given OC duties in 2016.

Is he a bad head coach? He was 21-11 going into this season, and he took over a team with a bad record (5-11). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No to the Wiz. The 2005 Steelers offense was great.... in 2005. Put him in the Mike McCarthy bucket of offensive dinosaur

It wasn't too long ago that a number posters here were drooling over the Packers management and the Mike McCarthy coaching tree and saying how great they were at developing players.     Just think of the QB luminaries coming out of the Packers talent pipeline that included Matt Flynn, Brian Brohm, Graham Harrell .   Lol

Was  Mike McCarthy really just  propped up by Aaron Rodgers all those years?

Edited by prissythecat
grammar correction

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, firing Roman and putting Lynn in as OC did seem to help the Bills Offense turn it around

Oh, it definitely worked.... until Lynn got another promotion. It’s actually one of the reasons why I’m curious/skeptical about what’s going on in Baltimore though. 

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why would you say that? The Bills offense produced in 2016 when he was the OC, and prior to this season he was 21-11 at SD (and he took over a 5-11 team).

My own suspicion is that the ending of the Titans game might have brought things to a head. That was some terrible playcalling at the goal line by SD. Not sure who was responsible.  

EDIT: "Whisenhunt’s playcalling, particularly his insistence to get Gordon involved when he was clearly ineffective, led to the frustration of fans and the team. Philip Rivers was shown arguing with the coaching staff early on in the game on Sunday."

https://boltbeat.com/2019/10/28/chargers-fired-offensive-coordinator-ken-whisenhunt/

Looks like stupidly slamming Gordon in twice with no timeouts (he fumbled both times too) was Whisenhunt's call, and it also looks like Rivers was unhappy with him. 

Lynn sucks.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Is he a bad head coach? He was 21-11 going into this season, and he took over a team with a bad record (5-11). 

Lynn is not a terrible HC, rather probably an average HC with a talented roster; I just suspect he might be a better OC.  Lynn took over for Mike McCoy who was an awful HC, which that team vastly underperformed.  The Chargers had all the pieces in place to make a SB run and failed to get deep in the playoffs in 2018 and did not make the post season in 2017.  The Charges are struggling this year and the post season does not look like it will happen.  I suspect this is what the FO sees, right or wrong.

19 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Really? He was running Roman's offense. We have no idea what he would be as an offensive coordinator. Before his head scratching rise to a head coach in less than a year, he was a running backs coach.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

That's not an argument. 

Why do I need to say what's been said countless times? Lynn took an incredibly talented team on offense AND defense, plus a borderline hall of fame QB, and does virtually nothing with them. They have consistently underperformed since he's been there. They find every way to lose.

I know their record was bad before he got there, but that was because they had an epically sucky coach and hadn't put all the pieces together yet. Lynn got by far the easiest job and has been riding coat tails to wins. I am not sure if he even does anything.

He's not even a proven coordinator. He was a coordinator for less than a season. When he gets fired he'll have to go back to being a running backs coach somewhere.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Really? He was running Roman's offense. We have no idea what he would be as an offensive coordinator. Before his head scratching rise to a head coach in less than a year, he was a running backs coach.

Lynn simplified Roman's playbook and it made a world of difference.  If I recall correctly (off of memory), the Bills offense was top 10 in points scored in 2016.  Lynn modified Roman's offense and catered it to Tyrod's abilities, which resembled a college offense, but it was effective.  The offense wasn't the problem that year, Rex's defense was.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why do I need to say what's been said countless times? Lynn took an incredibly talented team on offense AND defense, plus a borderline hall of fame QB, and does virtually nothing with them. They have consistently underperformed since he's been there. They find every way to lose.

I know their record was bad before he got there, but that was because they had an epically sucky coach and hadn't put all the pieces together yet. Lynn got by far the easiest job and has been riding coat tails to wins. I am not sure if he even does anything.

He's not even a proven coordinator. He was a coordinator for less than a season. When he gets fired he'll have to go back to being a running backs coach somewhere.

The Chargers were 9-23 in the two years before he got there. It wasn't just one bad season; they were terrible. His biggest advocate all along wasn't Rex; it was Bill Parcells, who Lynn coached for. Parcells told many that he'd be a very good head coach, including Rex Ryan. Given Parcells' track with guys he's championed over the years (Belichick, Coughlin, Sean Payton), I'll take his opinion over anyone on this board. 

Edited by dave mcbride