first thread

MrLocke

Hello folks! This is my first thread. Heres my first question

1. Why do you think we will be ok with ron edwards/tim anderson at dt?

I think the lose of fat pat is going to be big simply because I do not think ron edwrads will be an adequate starter. Lets suppouse that sam adams and pat williams are equal or close to equal in talent it seems to follow then that our run defense will take a hit because ron edwards was already a starter next to pat wiliams and our run defense sucked. Now one might argue that the starters around ron edwards are better than when he was previously a starter , which it is because there was no tko or posey or lawyer milloy, however I do not think that this really matters because dt is the most important position for stuffing the run because they keep the linebackers clean. Long story short I see our run defense taking a big hit because we will not be able to keep tko and london clean. Hopefully the coaching staff knows something about tim anderson that we do not know.

I think the lose of fat pat is going to be big simply because I do not think ron edwrads will be an adequate starter. Lets suppouse that sam adams and pat williams are equal or close to equal in talent it seems to follow then that our run defense will take a hit because ron edwards was already a starter next to pat wiliams and our run defense sucked. Now one might argue that the starters around ron edwards are better than when he was previously a starter , which it is because there was no tko or posey or lawyer milloy, however I do not think that this really matters because dt is the most important position for stuffing the run because they keep the linebackers clean. Long story short I see our run defense taking a big hit because we will not be able to keep tko and london clean. Hopefully the coaching staff knows something about tim anderson that we do not know.

300682[/snapback]

I watch all the Ohio St. games and was very pleased the Bills drafted Anderson. He is very hard to move out and excels against the run. Even has a fair move to get into the backfiled, on occasion. I cannot answer the obvious question of why he wasn't active for most of the games. I'm guessing a combination of numbers at the position and techique had something to do with it.

Edwards plays well on passing downs and Anderson is more of a run stuffer. I was a little dissapointed to see Pat Williams leave but Adams is the key guy in the rotation. He's the 2 gap DT who clogs the middle, drawing the double team and keeping the OL off of Fletcher. I don't think the dropoff is alarming at all. The draft could produce another candidate, if so desired.

Welcome to the wall. Hope you have thick skin.

I personally think that our defense will suffer a bit from the loss of Pat unless Anderson really comes up big on rushing downs. I just don't think Edwards is that good against the run.

However, I did recently read that the Bills liked what they saw of Anderson in practice late in the year, and I believe the reason that he didn't dress was not necessarily because he was lousy or a bust as a DT but simply because Bannan played a little guard and we could save an active roster spot by Bannan being the #4 DT as well as a spot player on offense, which allowed us to de-activate one more OL for the games.

I didn't think the Bills would miss big Ted Washington when he left but they fell off big time. I am banking on the fact that Williams played less than half the downs last year and the backups did get a lot of time out there. Williams is probably a few cheeseburgers away from a heart attack especially in the cold winter months since the Bills will be playing in January next year. Have faith in TD.

Tanks for your insights. Thanks for your kind welcomes. I am actually more worried about this lose than I am Jonas. The main reason for this and this is no offense to the defensive coaching staff is McNally. I thought originally people had way too much faith in this guy, however the o-line from the first miami game on was damn good. Also given the presence of Willis and EM and LE we will be able to keep teams guessing about whether we will be passing or running and this should be quite advantageous to the o-line. I hate to bring up ol Killdrive but given his predictability it made our o-line's job way too hard because teams knew we would be passing the majority of the time, but know with MM and Tom Clemetnts the playcalling will be much better as to keep the defense guessing.

300682[/snapback]

I think we'll be exactly that OK, if the pair become full time starters. Adams wants to play as many snaps as possible, hopefully he'll be next to one of them most of time for some balance.

Welcome to the board, my feeling is that Pat Williams loss will only be felt minimally. This is due in part that the Bills do a lot of shuffling of the players. Ron Edwards is a proven back up and should be fine early on in the season. I think that Tim Anderson will do very good, the more playing time he gets. Sam Adams of course is the key. We need him to stay healthy.

Most people believe that the Bills will take an O-Lineman with their first pick in the draft, however, if DT Antaaj Hawthorne from Wisconsin is still around, the Bills could be interested in taking him.

On the topic of the draft I picked up my Sporting News Draft preview and the guy I liked was Luis Castillo DT out of NorthWestern. I think he would be a reach with our 2nd round pick but I doubt he will be there with our third round pick. I'm not really worried about the pass rush we get from our DTs seeing as how just about everyone in our front seven is a decent pass rusher and Edwards is ok in that area I'm just worried about the run stuffing as Edwards could not get that done playing next to pat williams so I doubt he can do it with sam adams.