Barnwell Blind Stats - Allen and Goff

inthebuff

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I agree with this save for the Pats game...but as we are seeing this year, the Pats D is making everyone look silly.  I really like the trajectory Allen seems to be on.  No idea if it will pan out but there are encouraging signs of growth.

And lest we forget, Allen was playing much better in the 2nd half against the Pats*** before the concussion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have never been that impressed with Goff- also I expect Allen for the last 8 games this year to have better numbers than he currently has produced since he is clearly getting smarter. 

I'd expect so as well. Even with his tendency to take chances, I would bet against him turning the ball over 7 times  in just two games over the final 8 game stretch.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

So they are both roughy below average qb’s.   What is the point?

Short sited- Allen is in year 2 and is progressing nicely. Goff is considered a top ten QB this year is a slightly down year for him but he will rebound. As we continue the grind of the NFL season Allen should continue on his upward trajectory.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The point is many think Goff is really good, and many think Allen isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I love Allen, but the questioning of Goff based on his play this season started weeks ago and is only growing. 

So I'm not sure that the stats of a QB that people are saying is proving he's not a franchise player are the best way to pump up another player with similar stats. 

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

I am no blind homer Allen supporter but at the same time, I am also an unabashed detractor of QBR, which is supposed to measure, magically, the QB's impact on winning or the game's output. This is a 5-1 team and he's lead how many comebacks in that record? So my point is, QBR is no better a metric to measure a QB than just reviewing the whole on one's stats and outcomes. It's an index, and indices are fraught with issues, the biggest is variable selection, which in the case of QBR is unknown. So when you hide the variables you use to construct the index, you essentially invalidate it as a measure as it provides no review by anyone. And further, since your intent is to use the index to give yourself credibility as some "genius" that never happens because you get ignored due to people not understanding the index. In other words, it's classic Great and Powerful Oz where you have to accept the premise and not look behind the curtain. It's simply shite.

Brudda by another mudda.  Must be.  Similar analysis for a number of metrics touted by various organizations, where specifics are "hidden behind the curtain"

This is Goff's 4th year in the league and 2nd year for Josh Allen (who played for slightly over half a season last year).  Goff's numbers should be way better than Allen's at this point; couple that with the fact that Goff can't read a defense and you have a grossly overpaid QB that the Rams are locked into for years to come.

I'm happy with Josh Allen and still believe the ceiling is high.  He just needs to make better decisions, which comes with experience -- and hopefully constant reinforcement by the coaching staff. 

56 minutes ago, eball said:

And lest we forget, Allen was playing much better in the 2nd half against the Pats*** before the concussion.

I agree with that too.  That opening 3rd Quarter drive was very nice.  Not sure what would have happened but it looked promising on the concussion drive.

51 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Short sited- Allen is in year 2 and is progressing nicely. Goff is considered a top ten QB this year is a slightly down year for him but he will rebound. As we continue the grind of the NFL season Allen should continue on his upward trajectory.

So, One is in year 2 and "progressing nicely", when the other was in year two, he was an MVP candidate and in year three has had a "bad start" that is equivalent to the guy in year two who is "progressing nicely"?   I am not against Allen or anything but based on that data which would you rather have, the one who was an MVP candidate and had a bad 6 games or one whos best performance is equal to those bad 6 games?  

Both guys are a work in progress but Goff has actually shown something, taken his team to the SB.  Allen is much more of a work in progress than Goff.

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Your uppence will come soon, and the Pats fans will disappear into the sea when Brady and BB leave. 

What does this word mean?  Does not appear to be a word.  I have no idea what you are saying.

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

So, One is in year 2 and "progressing nicely", when the other was in year two, he was an MVP candidate and in year three has had a "bad start" that is equivalent to the guy in year two who is "progressing nicely"?   I am not against Allen or anything but based on that data which would you rather have, the one who was an MVP candidate and had a bad 6 games or one whos best performance is equal to those bad 6 games?  

Both guys are a work in progress but Goff has actually shown something, taken his team to the SB.  Allen is much more of a work in progress than Goff.

What does this word mean?  Does not appear to be a word.  I have no idea what you are saying.

Do some more research if you haven’t already on Allens college career path vs Goff. Im happy to have Allen in year 2 at 62 percent completion rate with a lot of upside left. Lets hope as Bills fans he continues to get better. Go Bills

The Rams have played  Carolina, SF, Seattle, and the Saints. Way tougher schedule.

i think Goff is much better than he is given credit for.  Goff also throws 9 more time a game so more is on his plate.

i guess the interesting thing would be what would happen if they switched teams.  I don’t see the Bills having a different record.  Goff lost a game where his team scored 40 points.

i also thought we could do better than Daboll for Allen.  

1 hour ago, eball said:

Lets not go overboard. Better maybe but it was really only the first drive to start the half. Next drive was a 3 and out. Next drive was an int on his first pass. Next drive he got hurt. 

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Do some more research if you haven’t already on Allens college career path vs Goff. Im happy to have Allen in year 2 at 62 percent completion rate with a lot of upside left. Lets hope as Bills fans he continues to get better. Go Bills

Agreed!