Online Sports Betting

What are your feelings on the subject?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings on the subject?

• Legalize it; they could make tons on the taxes
    • Make it Illegal; it destroys the moral fabric of America
    • Keep things the way they are (Illegal but not enforced)
    • I could give two craps what other people do with their money

Sports wagering in America is a booming market right now. 15 Billion + was gambled online alone last year and that figure stands to triple this year. With pressure from certain religious groups and politicians congress has attempted and failed to illegalize it across the board. Problems concerning the jurisdiction of the internet, and pressure from outside countries has stalled the process thus far.

Currently the legality of online gambling is in a state of limbo. A handful of states have passed specific laws banning it, while the feds have stated it to be illegal. That’s all fine and dandy but the fact is people are doing it more now then ever, and only one American has ever been prosecuted for it. Even if they were to impose penalty’s for gambling online how could they isolate the people that do this? Were talking MILLIONS of people.

Personally I say they should just legalize it and make a crap load of taxes in the process. I understand the risks of legalizing it, but as a member of a free country I'm sick of the protectionism going on right now. Just because some people decide to put their mortgage on a game doesn't mean that their aren’t another thousand people that gamble responsibly. Its entertainment, and if done responsibly can be a fun way to invest money. This theory of ruining the moral fabric of our country is the most ridiculous load of crap I have ever heard.

Rant Off

Gambling in South Carolina paid for a lot of things. When they outlawed it, they had to do massive lay offs of state troopers, and were looking to cut back schools.

I don't trust how NY State would use the money. I doubt if it would be reinvested in Western, NY.

Its a touchy subject. Right now, sports gambling is a state to state issue, and playing on the internet is pefectly legal. However, making legal nationwide would open a big can of states power vs federal power. Personally, as long as what you are doing is not harming anyone, you should be able to do it online without any gov't interference. I play online as a semi-pro poker player (most 2/4 and 3/6 limit hold'em), and have been following this case very closely. The best argument I've heard is that if you visit another country and participate in an act that is legal there, when you came back, no matter how illegal in the US, the US government could not punish you for it. Thats what your doing when you gamble online. You are 'virtually' visiting another place, most of which are not based in the US. Now, if a company decides to open a large online gambling site based in the US, they would be subject to all federal and state taxes, and would pay them. However, federally 'regulating' internet gambling would open a can of worms that I don't think any senator would have the balls to open up, simply because of the public opinion swing it could have.

Its a touchy subject.  Right now, sports gambling is a state to state issue, and playing on the internet is pefectly legal.  However, making legal nationwide would open a big can of states power vs federal power.  Personally, as long as what you are doing is not harming anyone, you should be able to do it online without any gov't interference.  I play online as a semi-pro poker player (most 2/4 and 3/6 limit hold'em), and have been following this case very closely.  The best argument I've heard is that if you visit another country and participate in an act that is legal there, when you came back, no matter how illegal in the US, the US government could not punish you for it.  Thats what your doing when you gamble online.  You are 'virtually' visiting another place, most of which are not based in the US.  Now, if a company decides to open a large online gambling site based in the US, they would be subject to all federal and state taxes, and would pay them.  However, federally 'regulating' internet gambling would open a can of worms that I don't think any senator would have the balls to open up, simply because of the public opinion swing it could have.

300615[/snapback]

Just go to Las Vegas.

Legalise it and tax it...and let the states pay off medicare....reduce our taxes!!!!!!

301315[/snapback]

What a fantastic idea..... :P The problem is that most of this stuff is done OUTSIDE the US, so the Gov't has no say what the companies do with their money. For this to be even feesible the Gov't would have to pass some heavy regulatory bills that would severly limit what you could and could not do on the internet and where you could go. This just won't happen.