Finally finished jury duty.

Justice

There were jurors who thought this guy is innocent. I had to fight and plead my case and make us deliberate another day just to get the conviction we got. Our very first vote was 10 not guilty & 2 for guilty. I was besides myself.

After hours and hours of talking it out, I finally put some sense into these peoples' head.

I'm still mad. I wanted murder in the first, kidnapping and sexual battery.

BTW. For all of you talking about the 9 year term for spamming. The defendant was offered 10 years by the state in a plea bargain to avoid a trial. 10 years for all that he did and 9 years for spam? Yeah, that sounds fair.

BTW #2. The defendant's testimony went something like this. "I asked my wife if she was okay" (hours after she accidentally fell and broke her back and couldn't move a limb), and her response was "no, that's okay, I'm allright" WTF???!!!!! This guy is a complete idiot if he thinks anybody can believe that crap.

300603[/snapback]

Good job there, b.

I thought that it must be manslaughter and couldnt be first degree murder if the victim made any act toward the aggressor. Was that the case? She tried to fight him off? I was peripherally involved in a case some years back where there was a heinous shooting death and they couldn't convict the fukker of first degree murder because he told an innocent kid don't move or I will shoot, and the kid took one step toward him and the guy fired and killed him. The court said the victim made some type of act that provoked the shooting even if he was totally innocent and the shooter was totally guilty.

12 Angry men, good movie. Can you believe we have a movie star on our hands?

300716[/snapback]

Great movie. The original of course. The remake sucked.

We were shown that as part of a contracts negotiation class I went to years back. It was how to get people to see things from your eyes.

Good job there, b.

I thought that it must be manslaughter and couldnt be first degree murder if the victim made any act toward the aggressor. Was that the case? She tried to fight him off? I was peripherally involved in a case some years back where there was a heinous shooting death and they couldn't convict the fukker of first degree murder because he told an innocent kid don't move or I will shoot, and the kid took one step toward him and the guy fired and killed him. The  court said the victim made some type of act that provoked the shooting even if he was totally innocent and the shooter was totally guilty.

300711[/snapback]

No, she didn't make a move. The only move she made was to the front door to try to leave. He then grabbed her and dragged her back into the house and then had his way with her right there on the floor.

this is very interesting...how could you get 10 people to change their vote? That sounds pretty extraordinary.

300672[/snapback]

I impressed the jury with my recollection of all the witness' testimony. Especially the defendants' testimony. I even acted out both scenarios that the prosecution and the defense gave.

manslaughter and false imprisonment. This guy (the defendant) should never had taken the stand. He convicted himself with his inconsistent testimony.

300542[/snapback]

I'm still mad. I wanted murder in the first, kidnapping and sexual battery.

300603[/snapback]

I thought that the DA's office sets what the case will be tried as, not the jury. How can you want murder, kidnapping, and sex batt if the DA is trying them on manslaughter and FI?

I thought that the DA's office sets what the case will be tried as, not the jury. How can you want murder, kidnapping, and sex batt if the DA is trying them on manslaughter and FI?

300849[/snapback]

He was charged with four counts.

1. Murder in the first.

2. Kidnapping

3. Sexual Battery on a incapacitated person.

4. Sexual battery

It's up to the jury if we feel he deserves the lessor counts of each accusation.

After murder in the first there are 3rd degree murder and then manslaughter. The lessor charge of kidnapping is false imprisonment and Sexual Battery stays the same.

He was charged with four counts.

1. Murder in the first.

2. Kidnapping

3. Sexual Battery on a incapacitated person.

4. Sexual battery

It's up to the jury if we feel he deserves the lessor counts of each accusation.

After murder in the first there are 3rd degree murder and then manslaughter. The lessor charge of kidnapping is false imprisonment and Sexual Battery stays the same.

300850[/snapback]

I notice your location is Florida. I believe NY (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) you can only try them on the charge brought forth by the DA. If they are not convicted on (in your case) murder in the first, then there can be a new case for a lessor charge. But they can never be re-tried on a higher charge for the same case.

I notice your location is Florida. I believe NY (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) you can only try them on the charge brought forth by the DA. If they are not convicted on (in your case) murder in the first, then there can be a new case for a lessor charge. But they can never be re-tried on a higher charge for the same case.

300853[/snapback]

That's how it works in Florida. They charge him with the highest charge possible and it's up to the jury to decide if the accused should get a lessor charge.