The "Schiavo memo"

The Washinton Times, during the height of the Schiavo spectacle, reported the supposed memo that was circulating around republican circles to use Terri's condition for political gain was the brainchild of democratic operatives, a vast left wing conspiracy if you will.

Well, it wasn't

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Does anyone wonder what happened to those protestors down there after the circus left town? I wonder how much they made...if anything.

Who cares?  These 2 parties are always scheming on how to best take advantage of any headline.  Yet another non-story in a long line of them from the "media."

299756[/snapback]

Technically you are correct in that "the memo" issue isn't anything to get irate about, unless you're a republican who feels somewhat minipulated by the whole Schiavo thing, now knowing that the fix was in from the start for that party's chosen stance, and their chosen course of governmental intervention.

Technically you are correct in that "the memo" issue isn't anything to get irate about, unless you're a republican who feels somewhat minipulated by the whole Schiavo thing, now knowing that the fix was in from the start for that party's chosen stance, and their chosen course of governmental intervention.

299769[/snapback]

I never read the memo nor did I have to listen to what Republican Senators and Congressmen were saying to form my own opinion about the whole case.

299769[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm sure the average lockstepper is ever going to see that forest for the trees.

I never read the memo nor did I have to listen to what Republican Senators and Congressmen were saying to form my own opinion about the whole case.

299772[/snapback]

The republican party decided early on that they would have a clear agenda on Schiavo, circulated it and rallied around it-and thanks to the media-crammed it down our throats until they were finally bowled over by a landslide of negative public opinion..

They played into a cockeyed, preconceived notion that right and righteous America would rally around them, take Pinellas Park by storm and stick the tube into Terri themselves. The 50 or so down there is evidence this was not a very good idea from the republican leadership. In foisting this on the nation they managed to upset more than a few conservatives along the way.

I take it you're not one of them.

Who cares?  These 2 parties are always scheming on how to best take advantage of any headline.  Yet another non-story in a long line of them from the "media."

299756[/snapback]

The additonal fake info about Bush's air national guard service was also a non-story since it wan't needed to add to the already truthful info out there. But that got people talking. One group throws out misleading info to the public to get people to believe one way or the other.

299769[/snapback]

You make it sound as though we should be surprised at all this. It's called "politics".

You also make it sound as though only Republicans were manipulated. EVERYONE politicized this issue to manipulate the public. Hell, you're still doing it with this post.

You make it sound as though we should be surprised at all this.  It's called "politics".

You also make it sound as though only Republicans were manipulated.  EVERYONE politicized this issue to manipulate the public.  Hell, you're still doing it with this post.

300077[/snapback]

I don't hold office nor am I media member.

Not being a republican or a conservative I didn't feel manipulated in the least for the sole reason it was obvious to me what the RNC platform was going to be as soon as her tube was pulled out again. I was just shocked at what extent they went to see it through to its end, encapsulating everything along the way that repubs and cons used to vehemently oppose. "Manipulated' might not be the right term. "Used" is more like it. "Pandering" is another good adjective that fits in well with the spirit of "The Memo".

You're missing the best part, and that's how it got out. If you believe it, the memo was handed over without even knowing what it contained. That being the case we should all be happy it wasn't a memo with some super top-secret information handed off to a member of the press, a janitor or some evil-doer disguised as an upstanding citizen.

Talk about taking dumb to a whole new level...

So the lesson of Terri Schiavo is a memo written by a Republican staffer on how Republicans should handle the tragedy? Tacky , to be sure, but hardly the point of her tragic end but as usual the bumbling Republicans manage to provide a smoke screen about an issue so clearly in need of sober and serious discussion.

The Washinton Times, during the height of the Schiavo spectacle, reported the supposed memo that was circulating around republican circles to use Terri's condition for political gain was the brainchild of democratic operatives, a vast left wing conspiracy if you will.

Well, it wasn't

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Does anyone wonder what happened to those protestors down there after the circus left town? I wonder how much they made...if anything.

299747[/snapback]

The media did misrepresent the memo.

The unsigned memo -- which initially misspells Schiavo's first name and gives the wrong number for the pending bill -- includes eight talking points in support of the legislation and calls the controversy "a great political issue."

So from your link, it's just a poorly written paper expressing the opinion of one Republican staffer.

And here's how the media reported it:

The document's existence was first reported by ABC News, which headlined it as a "GOP talking points memo." On the morning of March 19, ABC's Kate Snow ambushed Tom DeLay with the memo and used it to question the motives of Republicans generally:

KATE SNOW: ABC News has obtained some talking points that Senate Republicans were circulating, outlining why Republicans should be involved in this case.

Graphic: "Republican talking points"

KATE SNOW: Here's a couple of the points. The pro-life base will be excited, and it's a tough issue for Democrats, which, which raises the question, is this just pure politics, Mr. DeLay?

TOM DELAY: Kate, I don't know where those talking points come from, and I think they're disgusting.

KATE SNOW: Senate Republicans.

The story here is how poorly the mainstream media checks its facts. Basically they had a piece of paper riddled with errors and went ahead and reported it like it was definitely legit. So basically anything written on paper is real and can be reported - we'll worry about authenticity later, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Continued evidence that there really is not much difference between the Republicans and Democrats. The Dems were ripping the Republicans for allegedly using the Schaivo case to make political points. Now, we have the head of the DNC stating that they will be using the Schaivo case to make political points.

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Friday that his party would wield the Terri Schiavo case against Republicans in the 2006 and 2008 elections, but for now needed to stay focused battling President Bush on Social Security.

"We're going to use Terri Schiavo later on," Dean said of the brain-damaged Floridian who died last month after her feeding tube was removed amid a swarm of political controversy.

LA Times Thingy

I think this statement pretty much sums things up:

Although Democrats voted for the measure, Dean said it provided an opportunity to showcase what he called Republican intrusiveness in the lives of Americans.

Yup It is all the fault of the Republicans even though they also voted for it...and they wonder why they are losing ground to the Republicans. :doh:

You're missing the best part, and that's how it got out.  If you believe it, the memo was handed over without even knowing what it contained.  That being the case we should all be happy it wasn't a memo with some super top-secret information handed off to a member of the press, a janitor or some evil-doer disguised as an upstanding citizen.

Talk about taking dumb to a whole new level...

300286[/snapback]

Not only that . The memo, penned by Sen. Martinez staffer, was given by Martinez!! to Sen. Harkin, a Dem, who though he agreed with Martinez on the issue knew the memo to be embarrassing to Republicans and Harkin arranged to have it leaked so as not to directly betray his friend Martinez. If you want a true friend in politics buy a dog.

Continued evidence that there really is not much difference between the Republicans and Democrats. The Dems were ripping the Republicans for allegedly using the Schaivo case to make political points. Now, we have the head of the DNC stating that they will be using the Schaivo case to make political points.

LA Times Thingy

I think this statement pretty much sums things up:

Yup It is all the fault of the Republicans even though they also voted for it...and they wonder why they are losing ground to the Republicans.  :D

307716[/snapback]

The LA Times. Distributing the Democratic Political Message one page at a time. :lol:

The LA Times. Distributing the Democratic Political Message one page at a time. :D

308057[/snapback]

...but...but...but...they can't get their message out. But...but...but...FOX news...Rush Limbaugh...Sean Hannity...but...but...but...