Patriotism includes shutting up at times

AKC

it seems that most Americans have moved in the opposite direction. Is it not the case that a majority of Americans now regard the Iraq war as a mistake?

BTW I'm not an American. I live in the UK and would describe myself as Anglo-Iraqi (English mother, Iraqi father).

303334[/snapback]

From the shores of Battersea it might appear so, but it's completely contrary to the direction the U.S. public is shifting. Today's polls show our citizens more and more accepting the positive outcomes being exacted by the war while understandably desirable of bringing our troops home at the earliest time. The American public seems a wise one indeed when compared to the some of the sissy nations of the West.

If your suggestion is that UK citizens are still floating the "WMDs!" banner around you'll be disappointed to find out that only a tiny fraction, approximately 5% of U.S. citizens, are still so hopelessly locked in to the debate they overwhelmingly lost so long ago about our right to protect our citizens. But you go right ahead over there on your side of the Atlantic and talk about WMDs!- we have a little story we tell our children on these banks about that- the chorus goes "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!".

Cluck

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the shores of Battersea it might appear so, but it's completely contrary to the direction the U.S. public is shifting. Today's polls show our citizens more and more accepting the positive outcomes being exacted by the war while understandably desirable of bringing our troops home at the earliest time.

304091[/snapback]

:unsure: Exactly what polls are those?

According to a CNN/USA Today/Gallop poll, 53% said the war wasn't worth it and 54% disapprove of Bush's handling of the war.

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

:unsure: Exactly what polls are those?

According to a CNN/USA Today/Gallop poll, 53% said the war wasn't worth it and 54% disapprove of Bush's handling of the war.

304162[/snapback]

Take a stab at the current Gallup numbers and let me know if you'd like a primer in poll reading- the question in the string deals with the immediate direction of polls.

Gallup As of April 13th

Take a stab at the current Gallup numbers and let me know if you'd like a primer in poll reading- the question in the string deals with the immediate direction of polls.

Gallup As of April 13th

304304[/snapback]

I'm responding to your assertion that Americans have undergone an attitude shift regarding the war in Iraq. And while it may contradict your assertion, the only trend is more and more Americans disaprove of Bush's handling of the war and more and more Americans agree that it wasn't worth it.

You linked to overall approval rating, economic confidence, and "state of the country" polls. You think that's relevant to Bush's handling of Iraq? Those are for the most part domestic issues, and certainly not indicative of Americans' opinion of Iraq.

The polls I linked to were also by Gallup - and are the most recent available (less than 2 weeks old) that address Americans' attitudes toward Iraq. The poll results I cited come from respondents asked the following questions:

-"Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?"

-"All in all do you think it was worth going to war in Iraq or not?"

I'm responding to your assertion that Americans have undergone an attitude shift regarding the war in Iraq.  And while it may contradict your assertion, the only trend is more and more Americans disaprove of Bush's handling of the war and more and more Americans agree that it wasn't worth it. 

You linked to overall approval rating, economic confidence, and "state of the country" polls.  You think that's relevant to Bush's handling of Iraq?  Those are for the most part domestic issues, and certainly not indicative of Americans' opinion of Iraq.

The polls I linked to were also by Gallup - and are the most recent available (less than 2 weeks old) that address Americans' attitudes toward Iraq.  The poll results I cited come from respondents asked the following questions:

-"Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?"

-"All in all do you think it was worth going to war in Iraq or not?"

304326[/snapback]

Two weeks is an eternity in public opinion. The public, as proven in the rising approval ratings for the President, have shown an uderstanding and maturity in their feelings about Iraq. That includes an upswing over the immediate past in their grasp of the neccessity. You are welcome to continue to deride the country and its leaders but that won't change the fact that the average American disagrees with you.

Two weeks is an eternity in public opinion. The public, as proven in the rising approval ratings for the President, have shown an uderstanding and maturity in their feelings about Iraq. That includes an upswing over the immediate past in their grasp of the neccessity. You are welcome to continue to deride the country and its leaders but that won't change the fact that the average American disagrees with you.

304388[/snapback]

From the gallup site:

April 12, 2005

Bush Job Approval at 50%

Most measures of national satisfaction remain stable after dropping last month

by Jeffrey M. Jones

A new Gallup Poll shows a slight recovery in George W. Bush's job approval rating after hitting a low of 45% a few weeks ago during the height of the Terri Schiavo controversy. Other measures of national satisfaction appear to have stabilized at lower levels than where they were earlier this year. There has been some change in Americans' assessment of the most important problem facing the country, as people have become more concerned about gas prices and less concerned about the Iraq war, though the latter issue remains atop the list.

You are welcome to continue to deride the country and its leaders but that won't change the fact that the average American disagrees with you.

304388[/snapback]

I haven't derided the country. Her leaders yes, but the country, no. And regardless of your belief that 2 weeks is an eternity in public opinion polls, those are the most recent polls relevant to your assertion that Americans' opinions have changed on the Iraq war. The simple reality is that, according to the available data, your assertion is false.

I haven't derided the country.  Her leaders yes, but the country, no.  And regardless of your belief that 2 weeks is an eternity in public opinion polls, those are the most recent polls relevant to your assertion that Americans' opinions have changed on the Iraq war.  The simple reality is that, according to the available data, your assertion is false.

304399[/snapback]

But the available data is false, making his assertions true...oops, wrong thread...sorry. :D

I haven't derided the country.  Her leaders yes, but the country, no.  And regardless of your belief that 2 weeks is an eternity in public opinion polls, those are the most recent polls relevant to your assertion that Americans' opinions have changed on the Iraq war.  The simple reality is that, according to the available data, your assertion is false.

304399[/snapback]

If you have trouble following the thread you might want to sit it out. The premise of the immediate climate suggests today- versus yesterday, the day before,and the day before that in order.

Since the substantive position of the thread is impossible for you to argue without continuing to fortify my point you'll try to cloud the semantics of a question made by another poster. Another sign of cowardice as far as I'm concerned. Your continued refusal to apoligize to the fighting heros of our country for your acts that hurt them will not be reduiced by your own attempt to find a more distractive argument to engage in. You ask the leaders of this country for apologies yet when it clearly comes time for you to do the same you refuse. Shame on you and all like you.

If you have trouble following the thread you might want to sit it out. The premise of the immediate climate suggests today- versus yesterday, the day before,and the day before that in order.

Since the substantive position of the thread is impossible for you to argue without continuing to fortify my point you'll try to cloud the semantics of a question made by another poster. Another sign of cowardice as far as I'm concerned. Your continued refusal to apoligize to the fighting heros of our country for your acts that hurt them will not be reduiced by your own attempt to find a more distractive argument to engage in. You ask the leaders of this country for apologies yet when it clearly comes time for you to do the same you refuse. Shame on you and all like you.

304530[/snapback]

You're starting to froth.

Give it up.

:D Exactly what polls are those?

304162[/snapback]

You can twist polls anyway you want to so they really aren't worthy of consideration.

The thing to do is eavesdrop on conversation and find out what the populace thinks.

I have yet to hear the Iraqi conflict mentioned at all.

Either we must be doing something right or the mainstream of America has more pressing day to day concerns.

304530[/snapback]

I've lost my score card. Should I be apologizing to Lance Corporal Mike Hoffman, and hundreds like him, or should I be calling them unpatriotic?

Why isn't IVAW being shut down as a treasonous organization?

I've lost my score card.  Should I be apologizing to Lance Corporal Mike Hoffman, and hundreds like him, or should I be calling them unpatriotic?

Why isn't IVAW being shut down as a treasonous organization?

304674[/snapback]

Apoligize to all patriots, whatever their conclusions, since without the sacrifices of patriots of all leanings the American experience would not be the greatest example of government by people in the history of the world.

You're starting to froth.

Give it up.

304551[/snapback]

Excuse my abhorrence of hypocrisy when it comes to those putting their lives on the line for us every day.

Apoligize to all patriots, whatever their conclusions, since without the sacrifices of patriots of all leanings the American experience would not be the greatest example of government by people in the history of the world.

304938[/snapback]

"Apologize to all patriots for being unpatriotic in exercising the freedom of speech that they fight to protect."

Oh, please... :(

What a dumb thread.

To the OP:  Why not just promote censorship to get the people that are unpatriotic to shutup? :(

304511[/snapback]

And now- the first post in a long string absolutely devoid of thought, conviction or purpose- Congratulations!

"Apologize to all patriots for being unpatriotic in exercising the freedom of speech that they fight to protect."

Oh, please...  :(

304944[/snapback]

No, no, no, the Constitution only applies to those who have served. Didn't you read the fine print? The rest of us have to blindly follow the leadership or be un-Patriotic. So, about half the country is unpatriotic...