28 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Here's another point I'd like to make:

There's money downs (3rd/4th)

Money quarters (4th)

and money quarters of the season (4th).

To my untrained eye:

Josh is clutch on 3rd and 4th downs.

Clutch in the 4th quarter.

And has been clutch in the final quarter of both his seasons. (as an aside: remember when the concern brigade was screeching that we were going to lose ALL of the games against dallas/balt/schittsburgh and NE? I do. Don't they look a bit foolish at the moment?)

That tells you much of what you need to know about him.

To add: If I am not mistaken, Josh is also 2nd in the NFL in converting 3rd downs when they need 10+ yards

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Hmmm...compare Brown's stats with Jackson at QB last year to his stats with Allen at QB this year and get back to us...

Also, aren't you the same guy that said that Daboll schemes our WRs open but they drop the ball?

Is there any consistency in your takes aside from "BAD JOSH"?

Heheheheheh.  That everyone who disagrees with him/her hast the dumbest takes ever, perhaps?

If the Ravens felt John Brown was just as good as what they have now,  they wouldn't have let John Brown walk in FA and popped a 1st round pick on Marquise.

38 minutes ago, section122 said:

I don't disagree with either of these statements.  However they include nuance which the poster I responded to either intentionally or not is ignoring.  Lamar is lights out this year and he is still behind Tannehill in all of those categories I listed.  Stats lie and there is so much more to them then the gross numbers his argument lacks that nuance.

I swear I'm not stalking you :blush: I only am responding because I looked up Brady's numbers yesterday...

In his second year Brady's numbers looked like this:

62.1 comp%, 3764 yards passing, 6.3 ypa, 28 tds, 14 ints, and a rating of 85.7

Josh's second year (some are projected):

59.3 comp%, 3287 yards passing, 6.7 ypa, 20 tds, 10 ints, and a rating of 84.6

if you include rushing 3820 yards, 30 tds

Clearly still some room to grow as a passer but overall production is pretty close.  In his 4th year starting Brady really came into his own backslid a little in his 6th and then became the Brady we all know is his 7th year starting.  That was the 18-1 year where he had his best weapons.  

Haha, it’s all good.  But that’s the problem with comparing stats from different years.  That is 17 years ago.  It was a much different league.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2002/passing.htm  There was one one qb with a 100 rating.  This year, there are 10 and 2 at 99.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm#passing::pass_rating

just a completely different era. I remember I used to defend JP Losman by comparing his stats to early Farve and Kelly.  You need to compare them to their contemporaries.

47 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Not sure where you're getting this info.  It's interesting and telling.  Is there anyway for you to get Allen's numbers in the 2nd half of the 4th quarter?  While I love the 4th quarter drives to win games, I kinda really do hate them for that same reason.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/splits/2019/

51 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

1: 67

2: 77

3: 57

4: 54

First half: 144

Second Half: 111

That's intriguing to me.. Really makes me question our Run pass splits.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Compared to Allen who looks like this:

Quarter:

1- 111

2- 129

3- 99

4- 91

Half:

1st: 240

2nd: 190

And yes, Allen missed a 4th Quarter. By the averages you could add 7 to his 4th quarter and second half tallies.

Note of error: as you can see, I screwed the pooch and accidentally listed JA's completion numbers, and not attempt numbers. @BuffaloHokie13 has the right comp to what I posted regarding Lamar. 

That being said, the 240-190 ratio of passing first half vs. second half is still really telling, I think.

Edited by whatdrought

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

John Elway's career comp % is 56.9. 

Only 3 seasons of 16 did he have a # higher that 60%   

63.2, 62.1 and 61.6

I’ve pointed this out in the past as well. Be prepared for the, “It’s a different league now and you can’t compare across eras like that.” When I pointed out that’s true, but that you CAN compare the relative rankings to their peers of the eras, I never got a response. 

It took Elway 10 years to hit the 60% plateau, regardless of the era he played in.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Garbage Willie Snead is their number 2. It is a pretty weak receiving core.

Miles Boykin, Chris Moore, Seth Roberts, Willie Snead would all get run here.  

Whats your deal ?   Why would you call a man whose caught 60 balls 3 times garbage ? 

Marquise Brown caught 3 tds week 1 is weak too ? 

How weak is pro bowler Mark Andrews ? 

Allens better than Tyrod.    Grab a tissue and get over it.    Out here stanning for jrober while the bills are 10-4 ?????

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ve pointed this out in the past as well. Be prepared for the, “It’s a different league now and you can’t compare across eras like that.” When I pointed out that’s true, but that you CAN compare the relative rankings to their peers of the eras, I never got a response. 

It took Elway 10 years to hit the 60% plateau, regardless of the era he played in.

You nailed that one .... 

"Accuracy" has nothing to do with with era's.  

58 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Here's another point I'd like to make:

There's money downs (3rd/4th)

Money quarters (4th)

and money quarters of the season (4th).

To my untrained eye:

Josh is clutch on 3rd and 4th downs.

Clutch in the 4th quarter.

And has been clutch in the final quarter of both his seasons. (as an aside: remember when the concern brigade was screeching that we were going to lose ALL of the games against dallas/balt/schittsburgh and NE? I do. Don't they look a bit foolish at the moment?)

That tells you much of what you need to know about him.

And he's 8-5 as a starter in the months of November and December. Including last year on a pretty bad football team where he went 3-3 down the stretch. 

15 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

You nailed that one .... 

"Accuracy" has nothing to do with with era's.  

25 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There were 7 QB's at or over 60% in 1996. Elways 61.6% was 5th highest in the league at the time. There are currently 26 at or greater than 61.6%. There are currently 4 at or above 70%. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Why would he bother? He’s routinely throwing anywhere else on the field to guys that are comically wide open.  

Why do you think his receivers are wide open?

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Hmmm...compare Brown's stats with Jackson at QB last year to his stats with Allen at QB this year and get back to us...

Also, aren't you the same guy that said that Daboll schemes our WRs open but they drop the ball?

Is there any consistency in your takes aside from "BAD JOSH"?

Daboll schemes guys open.

Sometimes they drop it.

Sometimes Allen misses them by 5 or more yards. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

There were 7 QB's at or over 60% in 1996. Elways 61.6% was 5th highest in the league at the time. There are currently 26 at or greater than 61.6%. There are currently 4 at or above 70%. 

image.png

1996 is great. It will be nice to see where Josh is in his 14th season as well.

Have you looked at Elway’s relative rankings to his peers over the 10 years it took him to hit the 60% plateau? While middling in terms of completion percentage, he was a GREAT quarterback, regardless. That’s because there’s a difference between being a passer and being a QB. 

People can harp all they want about Allen’s completion percentage, but they are missing the much bigger picture in the meantime.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

I'm guessing Allen's is going to spike up in the last 7 minutes of the 4th quarter :) 

I've come to understand that Brown and Beasley are fine smurfs

How tall are the Ravens top receivers?

Hint: they're the same size as our guys.

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Ravens did decide to move on from him in favor of drafting Marquise Brown.  I don't think they would have let John Brown walk and spent a first round pick on a guy if they thought Brown was just as good or better.

Poor take.

They let Brown walk in March when free agency opened. 

They draft was roughly two months later.

Letting Brown, or any free agent, walk was a business decision.

It's not like they just swapped players. A lot had to happen for Marquise Brown to wind up their draft pick. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

How tall are the Ravens top receivers?

Hint: they're the same size as our guys.

Seth Roberts and Miles Boykin are 6’4 

Andrews is also 6’4     Hayden Hurst and Nick Boyle also 6’4 ?????

Edited by Teddy KGB

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Seth Roberts and Miles Boykin are 6’4 

Andrews is also 6’4 

Dawson Knox is 6'4. Duke Williams is 6'3. Robert Foster is 6'2. 

Whar's your point?

The vast majority of their receiver targets go to Snead and Brown, who are 5'11 and 5'8 (John Brown is 5'11 and Beasley is 5'8). 

Edited by jrober38

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you think Lamar Jackson would have anything close to the same results as Allen has were he dropped into our team with our offensive line, weapons, and system - it's very amusing, that's all. 

We already run read option and RPO. We already play design to get Allen out of the pocket which is a strength of Lamar's as well. Daboll would certainly run more RPO and play action. If your argument is we'd purposely not do that and play away from Lamar's strengths then maybe you have a point, though it's a shaky one. 

I get the belief that one day Allen will prove to be the better player -- I hope for this too -- but right now they're similarly styled players, only Lamar does it better. He's the much better runner and he's more accurate throwing the football (76% on target throws vs. 73%). 

The idea that Lamar wouldn't be "anything close" to Allen if he played in Buffalo is tough to understand. Baltimore has better talent around Lamar but he also makes those guys look better with his otherworldly play making ability. That would very likely happen in Buffalo too. He's going to be MVP for a reason.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

We already run read option and RPO. We already play design to get Allen out of the pocket which is a strength of Lamar's as well. Daboll would certainly run more RPO and play action. If your argument is we'd purposely not do that and play away from Lamar's strengths then maybe you have a point, though it's a shaky one. 

I get the belief that one day Allen will prove to be the better player -- I hope for this too -- but right now they're similarly styled players, only Lamar does it better. He's the much better runner and he's more accurate throwing the football (76% on target throws vs. 73%). 

The idea that Lamar wouldn't be "anything close" to Allen if he played in Buffalo is tough to understand. Baltimore has better talent around Lamar but he also makes those guys look better with his otherworldly play making ability. That would very likely happen in Buffalo too. He's going to be MVP for a reason.

Finally someone who gets it.

I could understand if someone thought Jackson wasn't better than someone like Pat Mahomes, Russell Wilson, etc, but literally everyone who has argued with me this morning has said they wouldn't trade Allen straight up for Lamar Jackson. It's mind boggling. 

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Dawson Knox is 6'4. Duke Williams is 6'3. Robert Foster is 6'2. 

Whar's your point?

The vast majority of their receiver targets go to Snead and Brown, who are 5'11 and 5'8 (John Brown is 5'11 and Beasley is 5'8). 

My point is you reach which makes you look foolish. 

Bringing up Duke Williams is relevant ??‍♂️, is he still on the team ?

Dont even bring up Knox when the ravens have 3 tight ends who all play without a severe case of the dropsies.   

Edited by Teddy KGB