Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Black guy to another black guy isn't saying that. Words have different meanings in different contexts. Cracker means very little. The guy who replaced Mike Rodak, Marcel Louis-Jacques is a good reporter and good follow on Twitter and speaks out about stuff like this. When someone just said something about the double-standard he said, " Brown shouldn't have said it. But show me the centuries of oppression and disregard for life that word brings to mind, and I'll be more sympathetic to your proposed double standard "

That's exactly what I'm saying... the context and intent of the word are what give it it's racist meaning. The word itself is not racist. The history of the word is bad, yes, and as such we teach our children to use it with a full knowledge of that history... But the word itself is not racist unless used in a racist context, manner, and intent. Cracker, in this context, is just as racist as n-word would be directed at a black gm or player. The history doesn't change the intent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...WHOA!!!...Drew claims AB wants a good relationship with the Raiders...now Drew is a pretty honest (COUGH) guy, right??..........

Antonio Brown wants a good relationship with the Raiders, Drew Rosenhaus says

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2019, 10:53 AM EDT

The agent for Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown is continuing to work toward salvaging the relationship between his client and the team.

Drew Rosenhaus said on ESPN this morning that although Brown and Raiders General Manager Mike Mayock did have a run-in, there’s no reason team and player can’t coexist.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/06/antonio-brown-wants-a-good-relationship-with-the-raiders-drew-rosenhaus-says/

a related headline...."Antonio Brown told that Raiders could cut him and not pay him anything"

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So explain to me why the n word can be used by black people directed to other black people without offense? The word itself isn’t offensive. 

Here’s why I know you’re wrong:

How someone is offended is not dependent on what is said. Someone can insult me in a way that offends me deeply, but wouldn’t offend you. The words themselves are just words. The intent, and the context are what makes them offensive, and that offense is dictated by the interpretation of the one being insulted. 

If my wife calls me an idiot, I get hurt. If DCTom calls me an idiot, I take pride in it. 

You have some good points, but I don't entirely agree with you.  Some words have a history that makes them offensive pretty much independent of intent and context.

"N word" would be one, and the fact that some black people claim the word, flip it around, and use it as a point of pride when talking to each other, doesn't change that

Another example would be women using the "B word" or the word "slut" to each other - they're claiming historically offensive, shaming words to turn around as a point of pride, but it doesn't change the fundamentally insulting history of those words when applied by someone outside the group.

I take your points about context and intent, and they're valid, but they don't entirely vitiate the history of a term.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You understand that one word can have more than one meaning, yes?

Exactly my point. You're arguing that the word is 100% evil always and thus it is always more evil than cracker. I'm saying you're wrong. The context determines the offensiveness of the word. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You have some good points, but I don't entirely agree with you.  Some words have a history that makes them offensive pretty much independent of intent and context.

"N word" would be one, and the fact that some black people claim the word, flip it around, and use it as a point of pride when talking to each other, doesn't change that

Another example would be women using the "B word" or the word "slut" to each other - they're claiming historically offensive, shaming words to turn around as a point of pride, but it doesn't change the fundamentally insulting history of those words when applied by someone outside the group.

I take your points about context and intent, and they're valid, but they don't entirely vitiate the history of a term.

And i'm not arguing that the N word isn't an offensive word. I am arguing against the initial point that Cracker, in this context  cannot be as offensive as N-word. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

That's exactly what I'm saying... the context and intent of the word are what give it it's racist meaning. The word itself is not racist. The history of the word is bad, yes, and as such we teach our children to use it with a full knowledge of that history... But the word itself is not racist unless used in a racist context, manner, and intent. Cracker, in this context, is just as racist as n-word would be directed at a black gm or player. The history doesn't change the intent. 

Wow.

Just now, whatdrought said:

You may be making a distinction between the word itself and the history of the word that's a bit too sophistical for many of us. 

It's not just the context and intent of the word - the word can not be divorced from its historical meaning.

Neither can the term "cracker" of course, IMO

Just now, whatdrought said:

And i'm not arguing that the N word isn't an offensive word. I am arguing against the initial point that Cracker, in this context  cannot be as offensive as N-word. 

Thousands have been killed and millions of fights have been started because of using the n-word. No one has ever broken a sweat after being called a cracker. But they are exactly the same.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

And on that point, I agree with you - although, to your point about context, I also think that KeeptheFaith may be correct when he says:

"I doubt Brown even realizes that the "cracker" term might be rooted from slavery days.  To him it might just mean something like "stupid-ass white folk".

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And on that point, I agree with you - although, to your point about context, I also think that KeeptheFaith may be correct when he says:

"I doubt Brown even realizes that the "cracker" term might be rooted from slavery days.  To him it might just mean something like "stupid-ass white folk".

Yeah, and I'm fine giving him the benefit of the doubt... But he still meant it pejoratively based on the color of the mans skin. Thus, racist. 

• Like (+1) 1