How to spend our Cap Space

Virgil

The Bills have 24.8 million dollars in cap space right now and no major contracts coming up, including next year.  I'm not sure how much we are able to roll over next year, but does it make sense to extend guys before their contract year?

For example, Tre White would be super early, but will command a massive contract.  Does it make sense to extend a few years early and eat the deal while we have the surplus?

Expiring Contracts in 2020 - Normal Extension time

Jordan Phillips - depending on his performance this year, and as much as McD rotates lineman, sure if affordable (8 mil?)

Kevin Johnson - if cheap, sure.  If Levi holds his own this year, he can walk

Quinton Spain - if starts all year and performs, lock him up - We would have competition (7-8 mil?)

Isaiah McKenzie - should be cheap

Robert Foster - If he shows any of last years form and outshines Jay, lock it up - We would have competition (5-7 mil?  Way more if he beats out Zay and paces over 1k again)

Levi Wallace - If he has the season projected, sign him.  He could see genuine external interest though (8 mil?)

Contracts Expiring in 2021 - Would be a year early

Trent Murphy - He'd have to really perform this year, 8+ sacks this year to justify paying him again

Jordan Poyer - Pay this man his money 

Ty Nsekhe - See how the year goes, but will probably be looking for long term.  If he's just depth again, let him walk unless taking another low level deal

Patrick DiMarco - Team loves him, if fair deal, sure

Jon Feliciano - If starts all year and has solid performance, lock him up while he should be cheap

Zay Jones - either trade or extend, but needs to have a solid year

Dion Dawkins - Pay this man his money

Matt Milano - Pay this man his money

Just bored waiting for the season to start.  Also, if this team does what some project, we need to lock some guys up and spend our money the right way before Allen and Edmunds get super paid in two more years

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Bills have 24.8 million dollars in cap space right now and no major contracts coming up, including next year.  I'm not sure how much we are able to roll over next year, but does it make sense to extend guys before their contract year?

For example, Tre White would be super early, but will command a massive contract.  Does it make sense to extend a few years early and eat the deal while we have the surplus?

Jordan Phillips - depending on his performance this year, and as much as McD rotates lineman, sure if affordable (8 mil?)

Quinton Spain - if starts all year and performs, lock him up - We would have competition (7-8 mil?)

Robert Foster - If he shows any of last years form and outshines Jay, lock it up - We would have competition (5-7 mil?  Way more if he beats out Zay and paces over 1k again)

Levi Wallace - If he has the season projected, sign him.  He could see genuine external interest though (8 mil?)

Trent Murphy - He'd have to really perform this year, 8+ sacks this year to justify paying him again

Ty Nsekhe - See how the year goes, but will probably be looking for long term.  If he's just depth again, let him walk unless taking another low level deal

Jon Feliciano - If starts all year and has solid performance, lock him up while he should be cheap

Just bored waiting for the season to start.  Also, if this team does what some project, we need to lock some guys up and spend our money the right way before Allen and Edmunds get super paid in two more years

This demonstrates the need for continuous hitting on the draft.  You can maybe have on average half on your starting 22 on big money deals then the rest need to be on rookie deals.  We soon will be at the point where we will hit the ceiling in terms of what we can have in big contracts.  But for now the decisions will not be too tough.

I have always hated the expression "just pay the man his money" fans blurt out without any thought.  So if Milano wants $100 million we should just pay it?  Not the way the real world works.

Also i think we have way to many one year deals out there.  After the first two seasons of purging,  I would like to think we could have some continuity here, isnt that part of "the process"?

For example if Ty Nsheke ever gets extending playing time at T and performs incredibly high, we can pretty much forget about signing him to anything realistic.

I think it is best to let as much roll over as you can and then sign and extend our young players. Hopefully we continue to draft well and can have high quality replacements available to step in when veterans demand big pay days. That way we can let see of them walk without missing a beat.

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have always hated the expression "just pay the man his money" fans blurt out without any thought.  So if Milano wants $100 million we should just pay it?  Not the way the real world works.

Also i think we have way to many one year deals out there.  After the first two seasons of purging,  I would like to think we could have some continuity here, isnt that part of "the process"?

For example if Ty Nsheke ever gets extending playing time at T and performs incredibly high, we can pretty much forget about signing him to anything realistic.

Nsekhe is signed next year.  In 2021 he is a FA and will also be 35 years old.  I think his contract is OK.

Spain is a FA next year and we'll have to see how that goes.

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You got me.  I want to pay Milano 100 mil

• Haha (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I thought it was a year as described by OP, my mistake then, thanks for the correction.

The people I listed expire at the end of next year.  There really aren’t many people worth mentioning that expire at the end of this year that I could see 

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You couldn't possibly have meant "offer the man a fair contract". 

No.  I meant 200 mil

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I thought it was a year as described by OP, my mistake then, thanks for the correction.

No problem and the OP brought up a good point.  You got to look to sign your own guys first.

Spain was signed to the 1 year "prove it" and he is the #1 guy to watch how he plays this year when it comes to signings.

Then it's Spencer Long, he's on a team option contract for next 2 year so the Bills will need to see if he is performing as expected.

You brought up Ty and I think at his age, if he is still looking good, it would be easy to extend him another year at reasonable rates.

He seems to like it here in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I actually thought that Spain might be a one year guy while they continued to bring Teller along........but that is not the plan obviously.

Lock Spain up

Agree with paying Dawkins.  He is not elite but they can not afford to go into 2020 draft needing another OT.  I would tag him if they can't agree on terms.

The NFL or at least many teams have has devalued the safety position. See what Seattle did with Earl Thomas and the Giants letting Collins walk.   

Poyer is very good but not special.  I would agree with an extension but not break the bank on him. 

I know many on here love Milano but I would not pay him. I'd let him walk and get the comp pick.  I'm not paying for a OLB that does not rush the passer. Everything else he does is replaceable with another draft pick.  He is a capable coverage linebacker and does make some impact plays.  I'm not saying he is not an asset but he is not a top 45 linebacker in this league. Someone will pay him like he is because they will have the cap room.  That's fine.  Let him walk then.  Don't bid against yourself.  If he is willing to agree to a three year extension now at reasonable and guaranteed money - make the deal.  If not just draft another guy. 

I think McBeane will spend modestly on supplementing some needs via free agency in the summer of 2020 but they won’t go on a huge spending spree signing 3 top free agents and other significant contracts. I think they are eying possible extensions for Shaq (If he has a strong year) Dawkins, Milano, and Tre White. They also have some other free agents like J.Phillips, Spain, Foster, Wallace and a few others that they will have to take care of depending on how they perform in 2019. Although I can’t imagine any of those second tier players commanding huge money 2-4 of those players could command 4-9 million aav type deals. 

That being said the team can still afford to add a big pass rusher and another pass catcher on a significant contract or another set of needs while still being prudent with having enough space to take care of their own. The team has 90 million in space next year and in 2021 the team has a lot of their bigger contracts that they can get out of easily. Trent Murphy’s deal will be expired after 2020, Brown, Hughes and Kroft are easy contracts to get out of with minimal cap hits, Star carries some dead money but 6+ million in overall savings, and Mitch is similar to Star in that while he carries some dead money (5 million) he also carries significant savings (5.5 million.) So once they need to make space for the 2017 players bigger contracts they can move on from the veteran free agents that they have signed the past few years. 

Overall the team despite its spending spree this off-season still remains in a good position with the cap as year to year they carry a lot of removable contracts and space. Unless the team pushes off some extensions in favor of high end win now acquisitions. If McBeane can maintain their good drafting and be a bit more consistent in their bigger pro-acquisitions I think they can turn this team into a consistent winner. They have been smart and responsible with their cap while still helping their chances to win now, retain talent, and acquire future needs