Clint Eastwood's going to make a WWII

Respect the dead

I look forward to this. I've been to Iwo Jima and re-enlisted atop of Mt. Surabachi in 1998. Pretty moving. My second re-enlistment was in the USS Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.... I've been fortunate to see so many awesome sites in my 17 years in....

297304[/snapback]

The Thin Red Line was set on Okinawa, right? I was watching Midway last night, the 70's movie with Henry Fonda and Charlton Heston and I think someone could do a good job with that battle too. It would be hard to get a studio to back it after Pearl Harbor turned out to be a disappointment.

In all seriousness my grandfather was one of those Iwo Jima Marines hoisting the flag.....no bullstojan. We really was.

297464[/snapback]

That's cool. When I was on the funeral detail I buried one of the purple heart winners from Iwo Jima. It was a motivating but sad event.

In all seriousness my grandfather was one of those Iwo Jima Marines hoisting the flag.....no bullstojan. We really was.

297464[/snapback]

That is really cool. They had a special about that event on TV sometime ago. They speculated as to whether it was real or staged for the newsmedia. Who cares I say? This is an iconic moment in US history and one of the biggest symbols of America. Why question it or try to diminish it's significance?

I think they tried to locate all the guys that were involved, but I can't remember specifics. Fill us in with what you know here, this is very interesting history.

That is really cool. They had a special about that event on TV sometime ago. They speculated as to whether it was real or staged for the newsmedia. Who cares I say? This is an iconic moment in US history and one of the biggest symbols of America. Why question it or try to diminish it's significance?

I think they tried to locate all the guys that were involved, but I can't remember specifics. Fill us in with what you know here, this is very interesting history.

297562[/snapback]

A smaller flag was raised on Suribachi prior to the famous Rosenthal photo (which was also shot by a movie photographer who recently died (forgot the name - and didnt get the same props until now).

A smaller flag was raised on Suribachi prior to the famous Rosenthal photo (which was also shot by a  movie photographer who recently died (forgot the name - and didnt get the same props until now).

297581[/snapback]

Yeah, I recall they alluded to that event. I think one of those guys felt slighted because theirflag plant wasn't recorded as the "official" event. There were peopel on-hand that weren't sure if that flag was first or not, so there is controversey.

It's based on a fantastic book: Flag of our Fathers.

The book is a must read for any history fans. It details the lives of the soldiers who raised the flag that day and what happened to them after the event.

It's a great book. With the two brightest directors in Hollywood teaming up on the project, it's a can't miss.

The Thin Red Line was set on Okinawa, right? I was watching Midway last night, the 70's movie with Henry Fonda and Charlton Heston and I think someone could do a good job with that battle too. It would be hard to get a studio to back it after Pearl Harbor turned out to be a disappointment.

297457[/snapback]

The Thin Red Line was set during the battle of Guadalcanal... :blush:

The Thin Red Line was set during the battle of  Guadalcanal... :ph34r:

297662[/snapback]

Right you are, it's not easy remebering all those battles in that campaign. My uncle fought in the Pacific and said his worst memories were in the Phillipines, on the island of Leyte. That is where the famous image of General MacArthur wading ashore was made.

On an interesting note about that moment, I read that there was a dock all set up for his arrival. The boat with General MacArthur pulled up to that first, so that he could get off. MacArthur had a flair for the dramatic and realized the image of him actually wading ashore woudl be more powerful, so he instructed the boat to pull away from the dock and let him off in the tide so he could wade in with that steely look on his face.