Put Shelton at Center

Pac_Man

I keep hearing that Shelton is a lot stronger than Teague, but also a lot slower. So why on earth would we put Teague at C to deal with the likes of Pat Williams while Shelton is at LT trying to block people like Dwight Freeney? I'm no football professional, but wouldn't it make sense to do things the other way around?

For a blindside tackle, you want somebody with a certain degree of agility and speed for lateral movement and backing into position for pass blocking. Teague may be better suited for the speed rusher but a guy with strength would overpower him. With shelton, it is the opposite, but i think he can still give the QB enough time on the outside rush.

If you're doing that wouldn't it make even more sense to swicth teague and Williams then?  So that Big Mike could protect JP's blind side.

296845[/snapback]

as for Big mike, he might not be agile enough to move laterally as need to block the speed rush. JP would get crushed by a Kearse/ B. Smith style DE if M. Williams was blocking him at least once or twice in a game. I am pro-williams BTW.

JP will get sacked a lot this year, because he is inexperienced and he will scramble. It may not be Bledsoe/ RJ-esque #'s, but look at how much McNabb, Young, Brooks, Gannon, Cunningham, et al. were sacked early in the careers

If we had Shelton in the middle of the line, we could run the ball straight up the middle with real authority. I mean, we could just pound it down their throats. Just run it right at them, and wear them down over the course of the game.

Teague wouldn't be perfect as a LT due to his lack of strength. On the other hand, Teague wouldn't be a perfect center for the same reason. No matter what position that guy plays, you'd look to upgrade it via the draft.

JP will get sacked a lot this year, because he is inexperienced and he will scramble. It may not be Bledsoe/ RJ-esque #'s...

I agree JP will likely get sacked a lot due to his inexperience. However the benchmark for me ultimately will be the 16 sacks in 11 games that Bledsoe took after Willis became the starter, despite being a "statue" and playing the Pats once and Dols twice in that stretch.