Anybody Been to Downtown Baltimore Lately?

Irv

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly... Can't be as bad as here... South Side of Chicago... And I basically go anywhere.

When I went to Chicago over 10 years ago we went to go see a Cubs game (against St Louis, caught a foul ball) and a preseason Bears game after Soldier Field was renovated (against the Cardinals in Leinarts first season) we had thought about White Sox game too but no one wanted to at first because we were warned about the south side of town.

After talking to the driver of our bus we would take from the hotel to the airport to catch the train into town, he told us it's safe around the stadium on game day, just not to venture away from the stadium area. So 3 of us decided one night after dinner at Harry Carey's to hop the train and go down and catch a game against the Twins. My one buddy almost dove into the floor in the train because it made a pop noise he thought was a gun, then we watched scalpers we almost went to talk to scatter when some unmarked cops showed up. By the time we got to the box office they had standing room only and the other 2 I was with didn't want to get them so we got back in the train and watched the game from our hotel bar.

As for Buffalo comparison to other areas, all towns have their bad areas, bigger cities have it worse sometimes. My sister and her friend were warned by police not to stop in one area in Buffalo before when they were driving through.

Weirdest place downtown for me was Cleveland when I went down there for an Indians game and R&R Hall of Fame with my wife. We stayed by the stadium downtown and didn't find any issues with crime or anything, but instead found the place deserted and empty almost the whole time. Nothing was open on a Monday morning until after 10am

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

When I went to Chicago over 10 years ago we went to go see a Cubs game (against St Louis, caught a foul ball) and a preseason Bears game after Soldier Field was renovated (against the Cardinals in Leinarts first season) we had thought about White Sox game too but no one wanted to at first because we were warned about the south side of town.

the best way to spend leisure time!!!

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Flutie game? That 4th down 23 yd scramble on 4th and 22 was maybe the most awesome play i have ever seen in person!( i am guessing on the yards)  TD to Jonathan Linton to win the game!

It was the nekid bootleg game if I remember correctly. 

Yikes. This entire thread reads like the kind of people who post Buffalo News Facebook comments from fake profiles.

There are some beautiful areas of Baltimore. Chicago is great. Philly rules. Detroit is OK. St Louis kind of sucks but that’s a different story. Yes, all of these places have higher violent crime rates but just like Buffalo, crime is generally concentrated into high-poverty neighborhoods. When I lived in NYC, Brownsville was the roughest place I’ve ever seen. Felt like you were going to get mugged as soon as you stepped off the train platform. Yet, nobody ever mentions NYC as dangerous because crime stats are masked by the city’s overall wealth. As a tourist or business traveler, you almost are never put into these areas. It would be like a foreign visitor to Buffalo finding their way to Goodyear Avenue. 

Also, I’m not sure where these Buffalo comparisons come from. Buffalo has tons of panhandlers and street hustlers. You can’t pump gas at night anywhere in the city without somebody walking up on you. I could write a book about the number of different stories I’ve heard about why people need $2.

Edited by eanyills

On 8/29/2019 at 3:42 PM, row_33 said:

a prof in the family, who worships his intelligence, decided to go for a walk around 9pm in Baltimore a few years ago

a police car swooped down on him and forced him in and took him back to his hotel, cop asked 12 times "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!"

he has told the story proudly 12 times, we all silently look around the room at those gathered and nod....

In the '90s, driving to Chicago, I took a shortcut through Gary, Indiana. I got pulled over for stopping at a red light. Cop told me never to do that in Gary.

"Don't worry, we won't ticket you," he said. I had to ask why. He said, "We'd rather you run a red light than us have to scrape you up off the side of the road."

To this day, that's the most surreal moment I've ever had driving.