Beatles Hypothetical

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think their career went perfectly as it was.  You can go back to Rubber Soul and Revolver and tell who wrote which songs.  Subsequent albums were no different.

Personally, what I'd miss, would be McCartney's harmonies and bass lines; and even some of Lennon's harmonies.  Harrison's songs were majorly enhanced by McCartney and Lennon.

I do believe all of those songs would have flown very high as solo efforts. But most Beatles songs are band tunes, in the end, IMO.  Sure, there are outliers like Across the Universe and Got to Get You Into My Life.  But most songs at least have those harmonies and licks.

it mostly fell apart after the White Album, a series of singles and a horrible nightmare of the Let It Be sessions, thankfully they agreed to man up and record Abbey Road

the 3 creative elements decided to pursue their own personal lives and that's the way the cookie crumbled

actually most songs sound like one-man efforts, John's nasal voice dominates Paul unless efforts were made for Paul to be heard

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

On which album?

I Want to Hold You Hand, Paul disappears after the first two lines

She Loves You, is Paul there?

most singles that aren't Paul only

Edited by row_33

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I Want to Hold You Hand, Paul disappears after the first two lines

She Loves You, is Paul there?

most singles that aren't Paul only

They sang in unison on a lot of those early tunes (including the two you mentioned).  You can hear Paul's harmonies in the verses of She Loves You, though.  Unison during chorus.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They sang in unison on a lot of those early tunes (including the two you mentioned).  You can hear Paul's harmonies in the verses of She Loves You, though.  Unison during chorus.

best description I've read of Paul's background is its leaven that fits in perfectly with the lead singer.

you gotta go way out of your way to isolate him in those songs, John is my fave...  :D

isolating George's nasal and softer tone is a lot harder.

always enjoyed this set of mic breakdowns to give us their lines...

1) John's mic is useless, so this is Paul's less dominant contribution, a nasal always takes over the airwaves...

2) Paul's mic is half-useful, he's stronger elsewhere and they blend in other live shows, John's voice is shot for falsetto.... 

Edited by row_33

------------------------

their best blend for a masterpiece while keeping distinct voices on choruses, it's so perfect water comes to my eyes with amped headphones

tech caveman era caused a lot of disappointments on harmony, recording today would have brought Paul out more.

He got his revenge in cranking up his bass for Sgt and going forward, thank goodness.... his bass is another vocal part for the White Album

and John's guitar work was "turned down a bit" if he wasn't cutting it on recordings...  where is he?

gamesmanship  :D

Edited by row_33
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

-----------------------------------

Gugny, have you read Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head, or picked through it at least a dozen times?

A great somewhat-technical review of every recording with comment on all their individual contributions, plus his interesting thesis on the 60s and the Fab Four's role

As a lousy drummer i enjoyed mostly his comments on Ringo's odd fills typical of a lefty setting up his kit right-handed

the best read for unlettered fans, easily

Comments like John's guitar licks in Everybody's... Monkey are like a demented child on a rocking horse hitting his head against the wall.

Edited by row_33

19 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

We always hear about "What if the Beatles never broke up?" My question is the opposite. What if they broke up earlier. Split right before the White Album. Most agree that the majority of the White Album was essentially solo work anyway. What Beatles songs do we lose completely? What songs that we know as Beatles songs do we still get on solo albums? What's different about those songs?

Now, if this does happen, because they didn't let 2-3 years of tension build up, and they split on a more amicable level, do they get back together after a few years of all doing their own thing?

I think everything plays out pretty much the same, only a couple years earlier. No reunion. All Things Must Pass would’ve been an even stronger album. John would’ve dicked around for awhile, not releasing anything of note. Macca would’ve had another solo album or two, but they would’ve been flawed like the rest of his solo stuff.

My favorite rock what-if is:

What if Charlie hadn’t been strung out on smack & Mick and Keith weren’t at each other’s throats & the Stones toured in support of Dirty Work? You can say that the band was in no shape to tour, but I think those shows could’ve rocked really hard. Even if they were a mess, I say:

- Jagger never does his solo tour of the Orient that was a blueprint for the Steel Wheels tour.

- Keith  doesn’t agree to follow that blueprint to get the band back together, and

- The Vegas revues of the past 30 years never happen.

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

I think everything plays out pretty much the same, only a couple years earlier. No reunion. All Things Must Pass would’ve been an even stronger album. John would’ve dicked around for awhile, not releasing anything of note. Macca would’ve had another solo album or two, but they would’ve been flawed like the rest of his solo stuff.

My favorite rock what-if is:

What if Charlie hadn’t been strung out on smack & Mick and Keith weren’t at each other’s throats & the Stones toured in support of Dirty Work? You can say that the band was in no shape to tour, but I think those shows could’ve rocked really hard. Even if they were a mess, I say:

- Jagger never does his solo tour of the Orient that was a blueprint for the Steel Wheels tour.

- Keith  doesn’t agree to follow that blueprint to get the band back together, and

- The Vegas revues of the past 30 years never happen.

Source? I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong. But I've never read anything about that. Charlie always came off as the calming "normal" member of the band.

59 minutes ago, row_33 said:

------------------------

their best blend for a masterpiece while keeping distinct voices on choruses, it's so perfect water comes to my eyes with amped headphones

tech caveman era caused a lot of disappointments on harmony, recording today would have brought Paul out more.

He got his revenge in cranking up his bass for Sgt and going forward, thank goodness.... his bass is another vocal part for the White Album

and John's guitar work was "turned down a bit" if he wasn't cutting it on recordings...  where is he?

gamesmanship  :D

Great call.

One of my favorite harmonies is, "keepin' an eye on the world goin' by my window ..."

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Source? I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong. But I've never read anything about that. Charlie always came off as the calming "normal" member of the band.

Just the first one I found, not the best of sources but there are more out there. Pretty much common knowledge.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/have-the-rolling-stones-ever-broken-up.html/

i don't want to make it official.... but I think Charlie had some issues at some point.....   I recall hearing it or reading it somewhere....

millions of decent sources written and on TV and radio for rock are no longer with us or linkable...  :(

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Great call.

One of my favorite harmonies is, "keepin' an eye on the world goin' by my window ..."

John's contributions are so drugged out on this album, and a total bolt out of the blue, how did fans react to their first listen of this album who were paying attention?

the UK version more than the US.

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I think everything plays out pretty much the same, only a couple years earlier. No reunion. All Things Must Pass would’ve been an even stronger album.

I imagine a listenable version of:

Wah-Wah

Awaiting on you all

and

Art of Dying...

c'mon, they rescued Long Long Long in 2018...

3 hours ago, Rico said:

This is from the biggest Stones board.

https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,820791,page=1

I'm sure Charlie's wife finally brought the hammer down to end it.

:D

Edited by row_33

and if it's new to you...

the forums of IORR and Steve Hoffman are the two best for pop/rock/other discussions for my last decade.

He nodded sideways. Might have got into it after getting introduced to the world of jazz music, that's a rough and tumble bunch, wasn't use to ruinous lifestyles before that.

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

What kind of coffee would you guys drink if the Beatles broke up before the Monkees during the Packers v Bears game in 1968?

Depends on which Packers v Bears game you're referring to. If they had broken up during the November 3 game it would have been Maxwell House

If you're talking about the December 15 game, Folgers for sure. That Roy Scheider could sure sell coffee!

The regular season just can't get here soon enough!

Edited by Steve O
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and if it's new to you...

the forums of IORR and Steve Hoffman are the two best for pop/rock/other discussions for my last decade.

The Steve Hoffman forums are looking really good.   Thanks for the tip.  I would "thank you" twice, if I could.

26 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

The Steve Hoffman forums are looking really good.   Thanks for the tip.  I would "thank you" twice, if I could.

a few areas of interest have been helped out on SH's work.

just type anything into google for rock with his name....

should see who shows up for discussions, a few producers and people of some renown through the years