NYS ACA Insurance

Hey there... I'm considering retiring next year and too young for Medicare. Unfortunately my heath insurance soon after my last day ends and would never dare to be without. Which leads to my question, does anybody know how the NYS ACA works? In particular what would the income level be based on, is there different plans and are prescription drugs included. I've looked at the website and can't get a good feeling on it and at this point don't want to call the 1-800 number.

...Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Also please don't turn this into a political thread or I will ask to just have it shut down by the mods.

Thanks... Mike

Mike, you should be eligible for COBRA coverage extending your current plan, would that timeline work for you?

The better question is probably to look at the providers and hospitals in-network for your area.  Where we live there’s a good choice including the best hospitals and doctors for rare or emergency conditions, but in some areas the networks offered are extremely restrictive.

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mike, you should be eligible for COBRA coverage extending your current plan, would that timeline work for you?

The better question is probably to look at the providers and hospitals in-network for your area.  Where we live there’s a good choice including the best hospitals and doctors for rare or emergency conditions, but in some areas the networks offered are extremely restrictive.

Cobra is a option Hap. Just want to cover all bases. Thanks

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you travel much, you will need something that covers you when you are out of your area too.

9 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Generally Cobra before ACA.  ACA only if you can't find anything else.  How long till Medicare?

With COBRA, don't you pay full boat of what your employer pays for insurance?  That could be over $1000/month.  I would think there's some cheaper exchange plans out there, especially in NY, who has embraced the ACA.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

With COBRA, don't you pay full boat of what your employer pays for insurance?  That could be over $1000/month.  I would think there's some cheaper exchange plans out there, especially in NY, who has embraced the ACA.

COBRA never has been a bargain BUT at least you have coverage, unlike the "exchanges" that only exchange your money with promises.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Generally Cobra before ACA.  ACA only if you can't find anything else.  How long till Medicare?

That really depends on the plans in one’s area.  We had ACA insurance and in our area it was very good.

But in other parts of MO few or one insurer.  

For us ACA was much better deal than Cobra and yeah we gave it a workout when we were hit by another driver and I had a head injury

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2019 at 5:11 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hey there... I'm considering retiring next year and too young for Medicare. Unfortunately my heath insurance soon after my last day ends and would never dare to be without. Which leads to my question, does anybody know how the NYS ACA works? In particular what would the income level be based on, is there different plans and are prescription drugs included. I've looked at the website and can't get a good feeling on it and at this point don't want to call the 1-800 number.

...Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Also please don't turn this into a political thread or I will ask to just have it shut down by the mods.

Thanks... Mike

If you are overwhelmed considering the options go to an insurance broker and they will bring up all the insurance options that might be suitable for you. As far as the ACA a state such as NY that supports the ACA should have a good computer web site that list all the options for you to consider. There are also services that provide volunteers that help you find the best plan for you. The 1-800 number you are reluctant to use might be the best resource to direct you to organizations that will help you deal with your options. My advice to you would be don't wait until the last minute prior to retiring and then be stressed out because you are running out of time to make a decision. You don't have to make a decision now but it would be to your advantage to in general know what you want to do when your retirement date is upon you.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

If you are overwhelmed considering the options go to an insurance broker and they will bring up all the insurance options that might be suitable for you. As far as the ACA a state such as NY that supports the ACA should have a good computer web site that list all the options for you to consider. There are also services that provide volunteers that help you find the best plan for you. The 1-800 number you are reluctant to use might be the best resource to direct you to organizations that will help you deal with your options. My advice to you would be don't wait until the last minute prior to retiring and then be stressed out because you are running out of time to make a decision. You don't have to make a decision now but it would be to your advantage to in general know what you want to do when your retirement date is upon you.  

Thanks appreciate the advice

8 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Exactly and our agency has the option to put a surcharge on top. Thats why I'm asking. Thanks for pointing that out

8 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

COBRA never has been a bargain BUT at least you have coverage, unlike the "exchanges" that only exchange your money with promises.

Thats BS.

10 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Were a non profit and they offer zippo but cobra

Wow that sucks.

Wife at library is non-profit.  She forgoes her health and takes coverage on my family plan.  I wonder if that's still the smart thing to do as we get older. Now... Mine comes out cheaper, even ponying up the 40%.  Between the Corpse of Engineers and myself... Premiums are like $18,000 a year!

25 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Didn't you have ins from your former employer until old enough for Medicare?

gE cuts everyone off at 65. Lost that coverage couple congrats ago. 

I do get a thousand dollars each year. Offsets some of the  cost. 

Lot of GE people pick up United Health coverage 

10 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The highlighted segment makes absolutely no sense. The exchanges list the private insurances available to you. The advantage of such an approach is that you can compare the benefits of the different insurances on the exchange. You are not obligated to buy insurance from the exchange. You can get your own insurance from anywhere you want if you don't want to go the exchange route.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m retired and under age 65, but my wife is still working, so her job provides insurance for both of us.  My belief is that in NY, the exchange offers pretty good options.  My retired friends whose spouses don’t have insurance say that the lower price/higher deductible plans on the exchange are not too awful in terms of cost and coverage.  Not cheap, but doable.