Peter Jennings diagnosed with...

this is the kinder, gentler TBD right?

and cancer is a horrible disease....i wouldn't wish it on....well....i wouldn't wish it on Peter Jennings.

I hope he has a complete healthy recovery,...and then retires from broadcasting.

Jennings is a former smoker who gave up the habit several years ago, the network said.

Well, it's good that he quit, but he never should have started. I have a hard time showing him any pity.

One thing to say about him is at least he listens and talks to all sides. I remember one interview he did w/ the NRA and Handgun Control. When the pro-gun people sat and listened quietly to the other side, and then when it was their turn and the gun control people started rudely talking/shouting over them, Jennings turned to the NRA people and writhly said, "Now I see what you're up against." At least he's fair.

Jennings is a former smoker who gave up the habit several years ago, the network said.

I worked at ABC News with Peter more than 10 years ago and he was not a smoker then - unless he started after I left and then gave it up he hasn't been a smoker in a very long time. I guess these things catch up with you. Nice guy, but he has his demons - I wish him all the best in his upcoming battle.

Man, you really do have your mind made up about smokers, huh?

No one, including yourself, is perfect.

The guy's got cancer.

296732[/snapback]

Yes I do. W/ all of the information out there, to continue smoking is knowingly putting a gun to your head. I know people who smoke and have myriad health problems because of it. And they still smoke. It's a choice that has consequences these people knew all too well, Jennings more than most. I hope he does get better, but I'm not going to say I'm sorry for him.

Yes I do. W/ all of the information out there, to continue smoking is knowingly putting a gun to your head. I know people who smoke and have myriad health problems because of it. And they still smoke. It's a choice that has consequences these people knew all too well, Jennings more than most. I hope he does get better, but I'm not going to say I'm sorry for him.

296743[/snapback]

I can see your point. Clearly.

But does this mean we shouldn't feel sad for anyone who has a heart attack that used to eat fatty foods, but started eating healthier lately?

I mean, there are many diseases, and problems that are caused by one's own actions.

But does this mean we shouldn't feel sad for anyone who has a heart attack that used to eat fatty foods, but started eating healthier lately?

don't forget people who speed and get into car accidents, people who have sex and get aids...his list goes on I'm sure....

Link

Hope he gets well. Good newsreporter.

296566[/snapback]

I heard him the other day during the Pope coverage and I told my wife he sounded out of breath or something. I don't watch his newscast often, I'm surprised this is just coming out now based on what I saw the other day.

Peter Jennings has been my network news anchor of choice for about 20 years. Perhaps it is his Canadian heritage, or the fact that he was married, for many years, to an woman considered an expert on middle eastern politics (and spent the majority of his field reporting days over seas), but he always seemed to have a clear perspective on all sides of the mess in the middle east, and other world affairs. I had noticed that he had been MIA a lot recently. Too bad...I wish him well...

Peter Jennings has been my network news anchor of choice for about 20 years. Perhaps it is his Canadian heritage, or the fact that he was married, for many years, to an woman considered an expert on middle eastern politics (and spent the majority of his field reporting days over seas), but he always seemed to have a clear perspective on all sides of the mess in the middle east, and other world affairs.    I had noticed that he had been MIA a lot recently.  Too bad...I wish him well...

297083[/snapback]

I hope he makes a full recovery, but the odds are against him. My father died of inoperable lung cancer after radiation and chemo.

He was n't that fair. He was as biased as the rest of the lamestream media.

I hope he makes a full recovery, but the odds are against him.  My father died of inoperable lung cancer after radiation and chemo.

He was n't that fair. He was as biased as the rest of the lamestream media.

297100[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about your father. My family has had an ongoing battle with various forms of cancer for the last 15 years or so. I am truly sorry, it is rough.

In defense of Peter Jennings being fair or not, name me a news source that isn't biased! Jennings may have had his bias, but he was as fair as they come, these days. I really don't trust any news media that boasts of being objective. I think Peter Jennings is a shade smarter than the avereage "lamestream media" figures, and has always been very diplomatic in dealing with political figues, even those you would suspect he might not agree with.