Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think there is pretty decent Clowney is a Bill by the  end of the day. They are one of two teams mentioned and Clowney rumored to not want to go to Miami. He controls the situation, remember, because he can’t be traded until he signs his franchise tender. 

Well said Yolo as always.  First, why the hell does the Dolphins want to give up a 1st, when they’ll need a QB.  remember Suck for Luck. This is tank for Tooah (not sure on spelling).  The Bills have the $ and could make our defense the #1 defense in the NFL.  I don’t see Beane giving a #1, but I could see them dealing Lawson or Murphy and a #2.  The contract would be substantial, but given Allen is cheap for now, and Clowney is still young, I could see it happening.  Hughes, Star, Oliver, and Clowney could compete with NE.  That pressure would be formidable, and Clowney is fantastic against the run.  He hasn’t lived up to the mark on sacks which is surprising opposite of Watt, but we could always use more run defense.  It was our one weak spot on defense last year.

I hope it happens.  These contracts will expire when we have to pay Allen.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well said Yolo as always.  First, why the hell does the Dolphins want to give up a 1st, when they’ll need a QB.  remember Suck for Luck. This is tank for Tooah (not sure on spelling).  The Bills have the $ and could make our defense the #1 defense in the NFL.  I don’t see Beane giving a #1, but I could see them dealing Lawson or Murphy and a #2.  The contract would be substantial, but given Allen is cheap for now, and Clowney is still young, I could see it happening.  Hughes, Star, Oliver, and Clowney could compete with NE.  That pressure would be formidable, and Clowney is fantastic against the run.  He hasn’t lived up to the mark on sacks which is surprising opposite of Watt, but we could always use more run defense.  It was our one weak spot on defense last year.

I hope it happens.  These contracts will expire when we have to pay Allen.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Lawson has been playing great and is very stout against the run.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Yes he does control his destination.  He doesn't get traded until he agrees to terms with a new team.  Or, I suppose he could sign the tender and get flipped thereafter.  But there's more value for him and for the Texans if he's moved with a contract in place.  He will not be a one-and-done player for his new team

The thing I haven't seen mentioned is that we recently hired the former Texans GM, who is big Clowney backer and who theoretically knows Clowney's financial goals and the trade market for Clowney as of a little before the draft IIRC.  We should have the inside track on this player.  

The entire bolded section is wrong - sorry.

He can’t sign a contract other than his franchise tag.  He can verbally agree to a deal for next year, but can’t sign anything until after the season.  So no matter what he is a potential 1 year rental and could be one and done if he decides the team is not a fit after the trade.

He also can not be traded until he signs his tender.  Technically he is unsigned, but he is held by the Texans - he has already used his leverage once to block a trade to Miami and is probably holding up anything else happening right now.

What you say is true - if the trade had been done in the early summer, but by this time the deadline to sign an extension has passed and it is only the franchise tag for this year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Dolphins absolutely have better pieces to get this deal done, I for one hope they do get him I don’t want him in buffalo. But they have stills the deep threat they can throw in, like it or not he’s a much better player than Foster and Zay at this moment, of course they have an elite level LT to dangle, couple decent running backs and defensive backs to dangle. And they definitely are expected to have very high draft picks. 

I don’t want buffalo to pay the guy 20 million a year. I just don’t think he’s ever going to be much better than he is and it’s just too much money to tie up for a guy who is not a game changer. Not to mention the fact he may just bolt in the offseason anyways 

Not sure what to think about this.  Bills have an overabundance of WRs, Pro RBs and quality tackles of which the Texans need each.  We could beat out the Dolphins on spare parts alone that will probably be cut.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you make good points but the Bills offense and special teams were so bad last year that I believe that there is a subsequent false read on just how good the defense was.

The 2018 Bills were blown out 7 times.    They were an uncompetitive team.   They allowed the best starting field position in the league and turned the ball over a lot.   

When I think of their defense in relation to the rest of the NFL it reminds me of 1984 MLB where the 3 teams with the lowest ERA's all had losing records.     It doesn't usually work anything like that.   But sometimes punchless, uncompetitive offenses can create a lack of urgency from opposing offenses. 

Obviously red zone is a different story.    When teams get down there the focus increases regardless of the score and it becomes a man-to-man battle.    That's where they really proved they weren't elite defensively.    They can try to scheme better all they want but quick pressure/penetration is the game changer in the redzone.   And that's why they need a matchup winner like Clowney.

It almost sounds like the era around 1997. The Bills had a GREAT defense! I mean absolutely stacked with fantastic, talented, smart players.

The offense consisted of no blocking, no quarterback, a young Moulds and rapidly aging Thurman and Andre. It was SO bad that even their great defense would get gassed and we would of course lose.

Could this be the year to break the mold? I really think so but it really hinges 100% on Josh imo. I wish he had better receivers but lets see what happens.

Edited by Bill from NYC

12 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Not sure what to think about this.  Bills have an overabundance of WRs, Pro RBs and quality tackles of which the Texans need each.  We could beat out the Dolphins on spare parts alone that will probably be cut.

While I agree with this totally for the entire roster - the only difference is it does appear Miami is willing to part with their #1 - top players at LT and/or WR and Buffalo probably is not.  Buffalo would like to add Clowney and win this year - so we are looking at parting with 3rd or 4th WR or 2nd/3rd tackle.  I think our RB position is better set depending on what we are willing to trade, but I honestly think if Miami is really willing to trade almost any piece they could put together a better package than the Bills would be willing to put together.

If Miami was trying to win and make this trade - then yes I think the Bills win hands down, but the teams are in totally different places right now.  This is part of the reason the trade is not done as Clowney has already once nixed a supposed trade to Miami.  We will see. 

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Where are people getting this "likely playoff team" from? Pretty much everyone has the Bills projected to be roughly a 7 win team. That's a "team with a shot at a wild card," not a likely playoff team. I understand being a homer, but really, we're getting a little out over our skis here.

Ye of little faith....

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know about BFFs but they Are both from rock hill and played at S Carolina. I remember seeing them at a hornets game together a few years ago.  I do not think the Pats have the cap space to sign him, though. 

According to overthecap.com, the Pats have 16 mil in cap space this year. They are projected to have 45 mil next year. They could swoop in next year with that projection.

10 hours ago, QCity said:

Yolo, the account you're quoting is less than a year old and has only ~5K followers. It really sounds like they're just making things up to get views.

I actually just assumed it was Pro football Focus. Gotta read better, dammit!  Come on dubs!!

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

The entire bolded section is wrong - sorry.

He can’t sign a contract other than his franchise tag.  He can verbally agree to a deal for next year, but can’t sign anything until after the season.  So no matter what he is a potential 1 year rental and could be one and done if he decides the team is not a fit after the trade.

He also can not be traded until he signs his tender.  Technically he is unsigned, but he is held by the Texans - he has already used his leverage once to block a trade to Miami and is probably holding up anything else happening right now.

What you say is true - if the trade had been done in the early summer, but by this time the deadline to sign an extension has passed and it is only the franchise tag for this year.

No, it's not wrong.  He doesn't sign the tender without a destination in place.  Houston can't trade him unless he agrees on the destination.  And he won't agree on the new destination until, as noted, he "agrees to terms" with a new team - which is different from signing.