Woman dies after boxing match

DENVER (AP) - A woman has died after getting punched in the head over the weekend during a Golden Gloves bout in Colorado.

Becky Zerlentes was struck on the left temple and knocked unconscious in a match late Saturday. She died a few hours later.

The coroner's preliminary report says the cause of death was blunt force trauma.

Zerlentes was 34, married and taught at a community college. She had a six-and-four record as a fighter.

Heather Schmitz, the woman who threw the fatal punch, said in an interview before Zerlentes died that she felt horrible.

USA Boxing is the sanctioning body for amateur boxing. The organization lifted its ban on women in 1993.

Boxing

Espn Article

Because they made a conscious decision that they wanted to?

296390[/snapback]

Call me unsympathedic or a MSP, but I don't understand this one. I have no intrest in watching a woman get bloodied up and beat to a pulp.

Jeff

Call me unsympathedic or a MSP, but I don't understand this one. I have no intrest in watching a woman get bloodied up and beat to a pulp.

Jeff

296399[/snapback]

Maybe, they are not doing it for you.

Jeff

296399[/snapback]

I have no interest watching you get bloodied up and beaten to a pulp, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

I have no interest watching you get bloodied up and beaten to a pulp, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

296410[/snapback]

You can put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, but it doesn't seem like a good thing to do, does it?

Jeff

You can put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, but it doesn't seem like a good thing to do, does it?

Jeff

296418[/snapback]

No, but it's my decision not to do it.