An upscale Garbage Plate?

AiO

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as there is enough supply to handle the demand. Otherwise, the prices go up.

296441[/snapback]

Thingy

There was a time when buffalo were so close to extinction that there were thought to be fewer than 1,000 in the nation. These days, buffalo are making a comeback all over the country. Nationally, about 2,000 farmers raise buffalo, according to the executive director of the National Bison Association in Denver. The association promotes buffalo "as a healthy alternative red meat." Buffalo meat, which costs about twice as much as beef and is available in the same variety of cuts as beef, is lower in fat and cholesterol than chicken, pork and beef. But it will be a long time before buffalo overtakes any of those meats in popularity, if for no other reason than because they are in comparatively short supply. In 1997, 20,000 buffalo were slaughtered for the whole year, compared to the 135,000 cattle slaughtered every day in this country. Buffalo numbered less than 1,000 in 1890 after once numbering 30 million to 60 million. They were slaughtered for their hides, which were used for everything from clothing to manufacturing belts, and simply to eradicate the food supply of Native Americans. It was part of the Army's policy. "Take away a nation's food supply and it's a lot easier to defeat them." Now the breed has rebounded to 250,000 to 300,000, thanks to federal protection laws and a prohibition on slaughtering females. A buffalo yields about 500 pounds of meat. In the summer, they basically subsist on the grass they graze on. In the colder months, they are fed grain or hay. Buffalo can live up to 45 years.

I've often wondered why it hasn't overtaken beef.  You can certainly get more meat out of one bison than one angus and its ALOT better for you.  Do you think they are just more expensive to raise?

296422[/snapback]

Much more expensive to raise and much more dangerous. Many beef farmers get attacked by an angus bull and escape with a few cuts or some broken ribs. The farmers that get attacked by a bull bison die. Plus the added size means you need stronger and taller fences and gates. There are still a few around here in WNY that do raise Buffalo and Elk but they are not very large herds.

Much more expensive to raise and much more dangerous.  Many beef farmers get attacked by an angus bull and escape with a few cuts or some broken ribs.  The farmers that get attacked by a bull bison die.  Plus the added size means you need stronger and taller fences and gates. There are still a few around here in WNY that do raise Buffalo and Elk but they are not very large herds.

296455[/snapback]

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.

That's kind of what I figured.  Thanks.

296458[/snapback]

I was just out in Wyoming and actually talked to a guy who raises bison. (We were doing some riding on his ranch.) I guess bison can run at speeds up to 30 mph, can jump most normal fences and are in a constant state of being pissed off. Seems the biggest wildlife-tourist problem in Yellowstone is people trying to get pictures of the wild bison....they even have a term for it..."tourons." :huh:

He also mentioned that bison don't adapt well to the mass production methods used with cattle and they do need quite a bit more space, however I can't recall how much exactly. Had a philly cheese steak made with bison after the ride. Not the first time I've had it, but was simply delicious.

A bison Philly cheese steak? Oh man am I jealous...

296556[/snapback]

They had elk burgers too. :huh: Friend of ours tried it and gave it two thumbs up. I've had elk before, but never in burger form.

Good ol' Ted Turner has a chain of bison meat retaraunts down here in Atlanta...Ted's Montana Grill. Good stuff. I think it's spread to other parts of the country.

On a side note, I ran into a moose (not literally) on the Union Pass traverse beneath the Hobacks at Jackson Hole MR. Probably was within 30 feet of him/her, as it was just off the side in the brush. I thought it was fake (April Fools Day) until the damn thing lifted its head and looked right at me. Girlfriend still giving me grief for not stopping to take a picture, but with an animal that big, entering rutting season (I believe) my priority was putting some distance between us. Pretty cool experience however. You don't realize how big those things are until there's nothing blocking their path to you.

Where did that word come from?  I never heard of it before until playing GTA:SA.  Now I see it pretty frequently.  Anyone know the origin?

296445[/snapback]

It's spelled "ducat." It means any gold coin that was used in Europe. Given its meaning (a form of universal currency), it's probably not Old English - I'd guess it's Middle English. :huh:

I've often wondered why it hasn't overtaken beef.  You can certainly get more meat out of one bison than one angus and its ALOT better for you.  Do you think they are just more expensive to raise?

296422[/snapback]

Because the cattle industry has all of the govt grazing licenses to the federal lands?

They had elk burgers too.  :huh:  Friend of ours tried it and gave it two thumbs up. I've had elk before, but never in burger form.

Good ol' Ted Turner has a chain of bison meat retaraunts down here in Atlanta...Ted's Montana Grill. Good stuff.  I think it's spread to other parts of the country.

On a side note, I ran into a moose (not literally) on the Union Pass traverse beneath the Hobacks at Jackson Hole MR. Probably was within 30 feet of him/her, as it was just off the side in the brush. I thought it was fake (April Fools Day) until the damn thing lifted its head and looked right at me. Girlfriend still giving me grief for not stopping to take a picture, but with an animal that big, entering rutting season (I believe) my priority was putting some distance between us. Pretty cool experience however. You don't realize how big those things are until there's nothing blocking their path to you.

296571[/snapback]

I just look out my bay window. Friggin' moose.