33% of people are sick b-stards...

According to an article from CNN.com two cousins (1st cousins) from Pennsylvania recently went to Maryland because PAs laws prohibited them from getting married. Maryland is apparently all for kissing cousins, as they were wed there.

CNN.com's front page poll asks:

"Should states prohibit first cousins from marrying each other?"

Only 67% of people say yes, states should prohibit 1st cousin marriages.

W

T

F

?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, according to CNN, 33% of people believe you should be able to marry your cousin.

According to YOU, 33% of people are sick bastards, and you're really nobody...but since you're convinced you're somebody,you should at least get your thread titles straight.

marrying your cousin used to be a common practice in the old world

i don't recall exactly what the ailment is, i think its anemia or something like that, that runs rampent in what's left of Europe's royal families. Thats due to all that midevil inbreeding not injecting new DNA into the gene pool

marrying your cousin used to be a common practice in the old world

i don't recall exactly what the ailment is, i think its anemia or something like that, that runs rampent in what's left of Europe's royal families.  Thats due to all that midevil inbreeding not injecting new DNA into the gene pool

296272[/snapback]

Hemophelia.

Actually, according to CNN, 33% of people believe you should be able to marry your cousin.

According to YOU, 33% of people are sick bastards, and you're really nobody...but since you're convinced you're somebody,you should at least get your thread titles straight.

296263[/snapback]

awww, how cute... It took only three days for the stalking to resume...

Apparently you don't find 1st cousins marrying to be sick. Sorry, I just assumed.

Let's also keep in mind that whether or not one can marry his or her cousin was the start of the rivalry between Springfield and Shelbyville - a rivalry that has lasted til this very day.

(obscure Simpsons reference)

I seem to recall reading about a study done a while ago, that indicated that the amount of 'genetic damage' caused by this form of inbreeding is actually quite negligible.

So from a dueling banjos standpoint, there really isn't anything to recommend prohibiting it.

For that matter, it doesn't get into the breeding issue, just marriage. Perhaps yet another reason our legal concept of marriage is antiquated.

I personally think that the gov't should not dictate any 'social' implications of a union such as this.

I seem to recall reading about a study done a while ago, that indicated that the amount of 'genetic damage' caused by this form of inbreeding is actually quite negligible.

296306[/snapback]

According to the article on CNN:

On average, an unrelated couple has an approximately 3 percent to 4 percent risk of having a child with a birth defect, significant mental retardation or serious genetic disease.

Close cousins face an additional risk of 1.7 percent to 2.8 percent, according to the study, funded by the National Society of Genetic Counselors, and the U.S. Health and Human Services Department.

CNN Thingy

According to an article from CNN.com two cousins (1st cousins) from Pennsylvania recently went to Maryland because PAs laws prohibited them from getting married. Maryland is apparently all for kissing cousins, as they were wed there.

CNN.com's front page poll asks:

"Should states prohibit first cousins from marrying each other?"

Only 67% of people say yes, states should prohibit 1st cousin marriages.

W

T

F

?

296255[/snapback]

I think FAMILIES should keep first cousins from marrying...not states.

Let's also keep in mind that whether or not one can marry his or her cousin was the start of the rivalry between Springfield and Shelbyville - a rivalry that has lasted til this very day.

296292[/snapback]

"I refuse to live in a land that stops us from marrying our cousins!"

296292[/snapback]

thats not obscure...if you dont know that fact, you dont know your simpsons :huh:

awww, how cute... It took only three days for the stalking to resume...

Apparently you don't find 1st cousins marrying to be sick. Sorry, I just assumed.

296278[/snapback]

You are single-handedly more full of yourself than any human I know. If I had known your mindless tripe was the same mindless tripe of your alter ego, I would have had you on ignore and would not have paid any attention to you all. Get over yourself dude. Seriously. Get over yourself.

And if you have any other alter ego usernames, let me know what they are so I won't waste my time with you anymore than I've had to.

Christ, that was a short week.

Arranged marriages: I'm for it. It would give the single people the same chance to be happy as the married people. Love can grow in a realtionship.

Donor Organ Shortage: What's this about people being on a waiting list? If I were Prez I would pass a law that all vital organs from the recently dead become Federal Property to be distributed to those on waiting lists. I mean for people that their organs are worth the trouble of harvetsing. It's selfish to keep your organs after you are dead.

You are single-handedly more full of yourself than any human I know. If I had known your mindless tripe was the same mindless tripe of your alter ego, I would have had you on ignore and would not have paid any attention to you all. Get over yourself dude. Seriously. Get over yourself.

And if you have any other alter ego usernames, let me know what they are so I won't waste my time with you anymore than I've had to.

Christ, that was a short week.

296579[/snapback]

hahaha... good stuff.. goood stuff.

Arranged marriages:  I'm for it.  It would give the single people the same chance to be happy as the married people.  Love can grow in a realtionship.

Donor Organ Shortage:  What's this about people being on a waiting list?  If I were Prez I would pass a law that all vital organs from the recently dead become Federal Property to be distributed to those on waiting lists.  I mean for people that their organs are worth the trouble of harvetsing. It's selfish to keep your organs after you are dead.

296588[/snapback]

This seems to belong in the PC thread, but wouldn't the govment be infringing on my rights as a dead person if they harvested my organs?