Travis: Which of these options

JoeF

What is the minimum in compensation you would accept for Travis?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum in compensation you would accept for Travis?

• L J Shelton straight up
    • L J Shelton plus a swap of second rounders
    • L J Shelton plus a swap of thirds or other picks
    • 2nd round pick this year
    • 3rd round pick this year
    • Conditional 1st round pick next year
    • Other

Okay folks. We now know a little bit more about the market for Travis.

I have a feeling that there are a couple more teams than just the Cardinals interested. Bucs, Bears, Browns, 49ers come to mind. Their coaches may say no or the media may say that for example Henry isn't Gruden's type of back, but the fact remains that he is a former all pro who improved his fumbling issues over the last two years, is a tough runner, serviceable out of the backfield...there is a market.

So what is the minimum you would accept?

I think Shelton is cut after June 1st. The Cardinals have no room for Shelton with the signing of Oliver Ross. I want more for Travis than just Shelton or I want another top 100 draft pick from another team.

All well and good to think we hold all the cards at this point, yet if LJ hits the open market all bets are off as to who has the inside track.

The cliche of the NFL being all about business means the hightest bidder wins and we normally do not overbid (thankfully I may add). Having said that, signing LJ is not a high stakes issue at this point, imho, so if we can swap second round spots then TD is as close to pure genius on the off-season part of deal making than any GM in the game today. Period.

All well and good to think we hold all the cards at this point, yet if LJ hits the open market all bets are off as to who has the inside track.

The cliche of the NFL being all about business means the hightest bidder wins and we normally do not overbid (thankfully I may add).  Having said that, signing LJ is not a high stakes issue at this point, imho, so if we can swap second round spots then TD is as close to pure genius on the off-season part of deal making than any GM in the game today. Period.

296091[/snapback]

I completely agree with this post.

The cliche of the NFL being all about business means the hightest bidder wins and we normally do not overbid (thankfully I may add).  Having said that, signing LJ is not a high stakes issue at this point, imho, so if we can swap second round spots then TD is as close to pure genius on the off-season part of deal making than any GM in the game today. Period.

296091[/snapback]

Mark--this is definitely sound reasoning for doing the trade straight up. There is value in not getting in a bidding war for a mid - tier left tackle. We saw what Jonas got and most pundits say Shelton is at Jonas' level when playing well.

>>>Okay folks. We now know a little bit more about the market for Travis.<<<

I dont know exactly what you mean by the above.

Anyway, mark me down for whatever we gan get.

296089[/snapback]

Bill, I should have clarified. I did a similar poll probably 45 days or so ago when names like James, Alexander were not on the market. Most folks said the equivilant of a second rounder was what they wanted as a minimum. I want to see if that sentiment has changed given the highly regarded crop of rookies and these other wild cards in the market.

I voted other as a draft pick is virtually worthless to me this year (it may work out and even if it does the player may take 1-3 years before he can contribute. Draft picks are not worthless as good players need to come from somewhere, but as I think we can make the playoffs this year proven vets are far more worthwhile choices in my book). Teams have had better luck with players such as highly drafted Cs starting immediately in the past few years, but the draft is a crapshoot that leaves me feeling better about a proven player for this year.

The wildcard in all of this is that I do not have the medical reports so while Shelton looks like a great pick-up for Henry if he is healthy, that remains the outstanding question for me.