santo padre

As an unreconstructed Roman Catholic I marvel at the beauty of the pageantry and how important it is to me. Protestantism has much to be proud but it's intrinsic defect is that it persists that if it is mildly ritualistic it must be wrong= Roman Catholic.

If todays procession is prologue the world is in for a treat. Indeed Catholicism, if it does anything well it is put on a funeral. The haunting Litany of the Saints . Panis Angelicus, and the reassurance and even joy of the occasion are transparent. It is not time for the bland Protestant funeral to stand in contrast.

I believe that once a Catholic always a Catholic. Oh, you may protest in Joycean fashion but it never rises above protest, sound and fury signifying everything. You can jump from New Age to well where?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>Protestantism has much to be proud but it's intrinsic defect is that it persists that if it is mildly ritualistic it must be wrong= Roman Catholic.<<<

I think that now would be a good time to quit while you are ahead.

I will refrain from any criticism of Catholocism. Will you please do the same about Protestantism?

Ahh yes, the Ritual Deflowering of the Altar Boys....

Sorry, there's some figures like the pope who have such appeal when you read about his life (and I admit I'm drawn to the pagentry and the idea of the confessional --- something that truly fascinates me), and then there's the reality of what the system allows and covers up, the pope included, for not coming out much stronger against this pandemic than nine paragraphs in the liner notes of one of his inaudible speeches in 2000. And a steadfast refusal to admit wrongdoing and make restitution to provide for counseling, etc. For a lot of people, these things are very hard to reconcile.

As an unreconstructed Roman Catholic I marvel at the beauty of the pageantry and how important it is to me. Protestantism has much to be proud but it's intrinsic defect is that it persists that if it is mildly ritualistic it must be wrong= Roman Catholic.

If todays procession is prologue the world is in for a treat. Indeed Catholicism, if it does anything well it is put on a funeral. The haunting Litany of the Saints . Panis Angelicus, and the reassurance and even joy of the occasion are transparent. It is not time for the bland Protestant funeral to stand in contrast.

I believe that once a Catholic always a Catholic. Oh, you may protest in Joycean fashion but it never rises above protest, sound and fury signifying everything. You can jump from New Age to well where?

295622[/snapback]

I read this three times and still have no idea what you said. :rolleyes:

295622[/snapback]

I thought maybe this was posted on the First.

I was once a Catholic, assuming you count being raised as one "being one," and will never be one again. Amen.

Ahh yes, the Ritual Deflowering of the Altar Boys....

Sorry, there's some figures like the pope who have such appeal when you read about his life (and I admit I'm drawn to the pagentry and the idea of the confessional --- something that truly fascinates me), and then there's the reality of what the system allows and covers up, the pope included, for not coming out much stronger against this pandemic than nine paragraphs in the liner notes of one of his inaudible speeches in 2000. And a steadfast refusal to admit wrongdoing and make restitution to provide for counseling, etc. For a lot of people, these things are very hard to reconcile.

295631[/snapback]

au contraire. This Pope was unrelenting, perhaps even unforgiving when it came to priestly abuse of the young. As for restitution the Boston Diocese is practically bankrupt.

>>>Protestantism has much to be proud but it's intrinsic defect is that it persists that if it is mildly ritualistic it must be wrong= Roman Catholic.<<<

I will refrain from any criticism of Catholocism. Will you please do the same about Protestantism?

295626[/snapback]

Sorry but the "problem" with "Protestantism" is that its name tells you more of what it is not,than what it is.

I thought maybe this was posted on the First.

I was once a Catholic, assuming you count being raised as one "being one," and will never be one again. Amen.

295687[/snapback]

but the "hound of Heaven" is unremitting.

Sorry but the "problem" with "Protestantism" is that its name tells you more of what it is not,than what it is.

295859[/snapback]

I admit, I have a serious issue with the way Catholics idolize the Pope. He's a man like you or me, he puts his pants on one leg at a time.

295859[/snapback]

"Protestantism" is a word, and the religions that it generally encompasses have a myriad of belief systems, each of which is unique. Only a pre-Copernican thinker like you would think that those religions all define themselves as revolving around Catholicism. That may have been true in the time of Martin Luther, but has since ceased to be the case. Presbytarians, Baptists, Lutherans, Quakers, Methodists, etc. don't give a flying crap about the Catholic church.

295626[/snapback]

Truly. I guess he's never been to an Episcopal church. :rolleyes:

au contraire. This Pope was unrelenting, perhaps even unforgiving when it came to priestly abuse of the young. As for restitution the Boston Diocese is practically bankrupt.

295857[/snapback]

Oh, defrocking a few priests and saying that offenders would suffer in the afterlife for what they did is almost as good as fixing the structure of the friggin system that allows it to happen and covers it up. The pope was a truly benevolent and pious man who was personally great with children, he was like the favorite grandfather to the world, but his administrative control for protecting the children from the priests was lacking. Bernard Law was promoted to the Vatican!

The Boston Archdiocese is comparable to the Chicago FedEx plant. If they screw up a package and can't pay, the the parent company doesn't sit back and say it's Chicago's fault, they have to make restitution. Nevermind that the Boston branch's land holdings are considerable, yet they cry poverty. And the Catholic Church is the largest landholder in the world. This excuse sucks and the victims aren't getting the help they need (one of them committed suicide a couple of months ago). That's tantamount to murder.

I believe that once a Catholic always a Catholic. Oh, you may protest in Joycean fashion but it never rises above protest, sound and fury signifying everything.

295622[/snapback]

Oh hell, I can't stop myself...

Are you familiar with the Nicene Creed? You know the part where it says "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church"? Ever notice that catholic isn't capitalised?

It might help to know the definition of the word "catholic" before you bandy it about as some misguided badge of honor. The word catholic means "of broad or liberal scope; comprehensive; including or concerning all humankind; universal."

I'm a cradle Episcopalian, and I'm catholic. What that means is that we believe that Christ's teachings are indeed comprehensive and are of concern for all mankind - but I'm not "Roman" catholic. Other than taking 4 years of Latin, I really don't care too much about Rome, much less some guy that wears a ring that I'm supposed to bend down and kiss. Don't get me wrong, I respected JPII and the work he did, but ultimatley the pope is just another church leader - unless I missed the whole pope section in the Bible...

If condescending attitudes such as yours continue to exist, it's no wonder that Roman catholocism a dying denomination.

Are you familiar with the Nicene Creed? You know the part where it says "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church"? Ever notice that catholic isn't capitalised?

It might help to know the definition of the word "catholic" before you bandy it about as some misguided badge of honor. The word catholic means "of broad or liberal scope; comprehensive; including or concerning all humankind; universal."

I'm a cradle Episcopalian, and we're catholic, which means we believe that Christ's teachings are indeed comprehensive and are of concern for all mankind - but I'm not "Roman" catholic.

You beat me to it Campy. I always have to explain that "catholic" word to my Baptist friends down here.

I'm one of the "frozen chosen" as well. :o I think our services are more RC than the RCs are nowdays. And horror of horrors - I went to an Episc Cathedral in NYC that had "images" and a candle alter. :rolleyes:

:o