Democrat Debates

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Although I now understand that this forum needs to be renamed--it's a far cry from the open minded inviting conversations acknowledging both sides and parties it claims to be... this place is strictly red and conservative and anyone blue and progressive is belittled and ignored. Pretty obvious-- I'll give my thoughts.

Tonight was a good debate for EVERYONE.

First of all, if we voted for President on personality ALONE, Andrew Yang wins, hands down. Love the guy. Not the policies.

Warren was kinda pushed into the background which I was happy about (least favorite of the bunch), but she was good when she was speaking.

Sanders was great with his witticisms and brashness, though I don't like him as the nominee for all the same reasons I don't particularly like Warren.

Amy was really good. I think she's the dark horse in this race. I'd be happy if she won the nomination because I actually think she might be the most steadfast path to beating Trump, but she won't win.

Gabbard was very good and represented the Aloha State well with her introduction of Aloha into her closing. The attack on Mayor Pete won't work so well for her, though.

Steyer's an afterthought to me. Seems he's up there to push forward his agenda. Fine by me. He's likable enough and it's working.

Harris had a good recovery from forgettable to awful debates recently.

Booker, I hope, helped propel himself into the December debate. Really thought Booker was fantastic tonight.

Pete was just Steady Pete. He's the guy I want as the nominee. He'd be the bold and smart vote of Democratic primary voters. Warren and Sanders would be bold but stupid.

Biden had probably his strongest debate tonight. I don't know what people are looking for with him. He's ALWAYS stumbled. He's ALWAYS had gaffes. Throughout his entire career. Debates aren't something he will ever completely dominate. His strength is elsewhere, and it's why he's still going to almost certainly be the overall frontrunner, even after tonight. 

How baked were you tonite ? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Although I now understand that this forum needs to be renamed--it's a far cry from the open minded inviting conversations acknowledging both sides and parties it claims to be... this place is strictly red and conservative and anyone blue and progressive is belittled and ignored. Pretty obvious-- I'll give my thoughts.

First of all, if we voted for President on personality ALONE, Andrew Yang wins, hands down. Love the guy. Not the policies.

Warren was kinda pushed into the background which I was happy about (least favorite of the bunch), but she was good when she was speaking.

Sanders was great with his witticisms and brashness, though I don't like him as the nominee for all the same reasons I don't particularly like Warren.

Amy was really good. I think she's the dark horse in this race. I'd be happy if she won the nomination because I actually think she might be the most steadfast path to beating Trump, but she won't win.

Gabbard was very good and represented the Aloha State well with her introduction of Aloha into her closing. The attack on Mayor Pete won't work so well for her, though.

Steyer's an afterthought to me. Seems he's up there to push forward his agenda. Fine by me. He's likable enough and it's working.

Booker, I hope, helped propel himself into the December debate. Really thought Booker was fantastic tonight.

Pete was just Steady Pete. He's the guy I want as the nominee. He'd be the bold and smart vote of Democratic primary voters. Warren and Sanders would be bold but stupid.

Biden had probably his strongest debate tonight. I don't know what people are looking for with him. He's ALWAYS stumbled. He's ALWAYS had gaffes. Throughout his entire career. Debates aren't something he will ever completely dominate. His strength is elsewhere, and it's why he's still going to almost certainly be the overall frontrunner, even after tonight. 

When did this whole red/blue thing happen?  20-30 years ago?  And why weren't the Dems assigned red?  Too obvious?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Biden's strongest debate?

heaven help us

https://twitter.com/chrisjdmartin/status/1197372400872099840

https://twitter.com/TCPigott/status/1197363315678294017

seems the CNN pundits didn't think as highly of Biden's performance either.

https://twitter.com/TCPigott/status/1197374852484796421

your national propaganda machine didn't think much of your boy, Pete either.

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1197377097980956672

the Dems, between what they are doing with their ever incessant #orangemanbad iterations and their horror, ***** show of potential leaders they are putting forward, are going to have everything they can do just to prevent their extinction in the coming years.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Biden's strongest debate?

heaven help us

https://twitter.com/chrisjdmartin/status/1197372400872099840

https://twitter.com/TCPigott/status/1197363315678294017

seems the CNN pundits didn't think as highly of Biden's performance either.

https://twitter.com/TCPigott/status/1197374852484796421

your national propaganda machine didn't think much of your boy, Pete either.

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1197377097980956672

the Dems, between what they are doing with their ever incessant #orangemanbad iterations and their horror, ***** show of potential leaders they are putting forward, are going to have everything they can do just to prevent their extinction in the coming years.

Joe is going to punch his way through violence. He just plain has a way with words. -)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

<snip>

While I don't agree with your politics or assessment I do appreciate attempts at dialogue.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You generalize a lot.  I consider myself to be a fairly active participant in this forum.  I am not a conservative. People do not attack me. Could it be that I deal in facts most of the time? That my hunches are not based on feelzzzzzz, but on research?  Do your homework, present your opinion based on facts, and people will engage.  ?

And if that was a "good debate" for "everyone" on  that stage in your opinion, we were watching two very different debates. It was pretty horrible. All free stuff,  #OrangeManBad, people are doing poorly in  this economy :blink:, etc. There was nothing new or innovative offered.  

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You generalize a lot.  I consider myself to be a fairly active participant in this forum.  I am not a conservative. People do not attack me. Could it be that I deal in facts most of the time? That my hunches are not based on feelzzzzzz, but on research?  Do your homework, present your opinion based on facts, and people will engage.  ?

Seems your one of Trump's converted based on your posting.

These are the posters that dominate this forum and don't get much true opposition 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

And if that was a "good debate" for "everyone" on  that stage in your opinion, we were watching two very different debates. It was pretty horrible. All free stuff,  #OrangeManBad, people are doing poorly in  this economy :blink:, etc. There was nothing new or innovative offered.  

No.

We watched the same debate.

Clearly we just watched it from 2 different political perspectives.

Can't you just admit you're one of the many in this forum so dead set against Democrats that it's giving you tunnel vision... exactly what you accuse your liberal pals like me of.

Let's at least be honest here.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

These are the posters that dominate this forum and don't get much true opposition 

No.

Can't you just admit you're one of the many in this forum so dead set against Democrats that it's giving you tunnel vision... exactly what you accuse your liberal pals like me of.

Image result for projection gif

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No.

If they had a good debate what did they say in regards to the future and how they will impact it in a positive way.  Orange man gone does not count by the way.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No.

I think  you will find that many here do not find President Trump to be perfect.  I am indeed a Trump supporter, but I am not blind to his perceived flaws. 

Last night I tried very, very hard to see myself voting for one of  those people on stage. The two most likable (IMO)  are Tulsi - who has a lot of issues,  and Mayor Pete - who can seem almost rational at times. However, they both have a platform and ideas that are on the nutty side.  

The Democrats are pandering to a very, very small base. There is a reason they are losing old-time Democratic voters, Independents are shifting, and there is a #walkaway movement (whether or not any of  these movements will be large in the 2020 election, I do not know). Generally, the candidate moves to the center after the nomination. Can you see Lizzie or Bernie becoming centrist if either are the candidate? 

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

When did this whole red/blue thing happen?  20-30 years ago?  And why weren't the Dems assigned red?  Too obvious?

Funny that I thought of this exact question earlier this week. 

the blue states were GOP for the longest time, blue being the conservative colour, the border on National Review

and then they switched it to the GOP being red, probably during the Reagan/Papa Bush years when nobody really cared to study the landslide electoral map

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

If they had a good debate what did they say in regards to the future and how they will impact it in a positive way.  Orange man gone does not count by the way.

Medicare for All seems it's largely on the outs. Even though it's still a central aspect of Warren's and Sander's candidacy, you noticed even they are now hesitant to push any quick, revolutionary change. 

I don't want Medicare for All, anyway, but that was at least promising from them.

Warren explained her wealth tax, which is at least interesting enough and her explanation for it was pretty solid.

Booker's response to her tax proposals was likely even better.

Biden stressed that it's the Attorney General, not the President who determines something like pursuing charges of Trump.  That's a far cry from Trump, who basically uses Barr as a puppet for his own political whims.

Also the decriminalization of Mary Jane  along with expunging and reversing any previous convictions (wasn't baked last night @Teddy KGB  though I appreciate the concern)

Pete's discussion of the farmer subsidies in the trade war was interesting and substantive, though Maddow stupidly cut him off.

The entire conversation about voter suppression, voter turnout, and making sure everyone is able to vote is very important in a country with such low voter turnout compared to much of the Western world.

The general civility towards each other (with a few notable exceptions often involving Gabbard) was refreshing, especially when Klobuchar was given a home run opportunity to slam Mayor Pete, but refused to.  Kamala Harris did the same thing once in a similar situation with him.

Any emphasis on our efforts to slow/reverse Climate change is always a positive discussion regarding the future.

That's what I got off the top of my head  :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Medicare for All seems it's largely on the outs. Even though it's still a central aspect of Warren's and Sander's candidacy, you noticed even they are now hesitant to push any quick, revolutionary change. 

I don't want Medicare for All, anyway, but that was at least promising from them.

Warren explained her wealth tax, which is at least interesting enough and her explanation for it was pretty solid.

Booker's response to her tax proposals was likely even better.

Biden stressed that it's the Attorney General, not the President who determines something like pursuing charges of Trump.  That's a far cry from Trump, who basically uses Barr as a puppet for his own political whims.

Also the decriminalization of Mary Jane  along with expunging and reversing any previous convictions (wasn't baked last night @Teddy KGB  though I appreciate the concern)

Pete's discussion of the farmer subsidies in the trade war was interesting and substantive, though Maddow stupidly cut him off.

The entire conversation about voter suppression, voter turnout, and making sure everyone is able to vote is very important in a country with such low voter turnout compared to much of the Western world.

The general civility towards each other (with a few notable exceptions often involving Gabbard) was refreshing, especially when Klobuchar was given a home run opportunity to slam Mayor Pete, but refused to.  Kamala Harris did the same thing once in a similar situation with him.

Any emphasis on our efforts to slow/reverse Climate change is always a positive discussion regarding the future.

That's what I got off the top of my head  :thumbsup:

None can beat Trump. 

Not a single one. 

But keep carrying that torch ;) :beer: 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think  you will find that many here do not find President Trump to be perfect.  I am indeed a Trump supporter, but I am not blind to his perceived flaws. 

Last night I tried very, very hard to see myself voting for one of  those people on stage. The two most likable (IMO)  are Tulsi - who has a lot of issues,  and Mayor Pete - who can seem almost rational at times. However, they both have a platform and ideas that are on the nutty side.  

The Democrats are pandering to a very, very small base. There is a reason they are losing old-time Democratic voters, Independents are shifting, and there is a #walkaway movement (whether or not any of  these movements will be large in the 2020 election, I do not know). Generally, the candidate moves to the center after the nomination. Can you see Lizzie or Bernie becoming centrist if either are the candidate? 

I like both.

Mayor Pete is my favorite candidate of anyone up there.

What part of his platform and ideas are "on the nutty side?"

And no, I can't see Lizzie or Bernie becoming centrist.  It's why I don't care much for either and why I think either will actually win the Democratic nomination.