Ouch

Back in the late 80s, we were moving from one apartment to another with help from a friend with a pickup truck. His spare tire was in the back with our stuff, securely placed, or so we thought. As we approached the new apartment, which happened to be on a hill, the tire rolled off the back and headed down the street and through an intersection. As it approached a house with a big picture window in the front, I uttered two words (the first being "Oh") and prepared for what could be a catastrophe. Luckily, there was a short, but effective, iron-grate fence in front that I hadn't noticed.

Disaster averted. Lesson learned.

13 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Back in the late 80s, we were moving from one apartment to another with help from a friend with a pickup truck. His spare tire was in the back with our stuff, securely placed, or so we thought. As we approached the new apartment, which happened to be on a hill, the tire rolled off the back and headed down the street and through an intersection. As it approached a house with a big picture window in the front, I uttered two words (the first being "Oh") and prepared for what could be a catastrophe. Luckily, there was a short, but effective, iron-grate fence in front that I hadn't noticed.

Disaster averted. Lesson learned.

I've come close a couple times to hitting flying tire caps (off tractor trailers) on the highway. Granted it's not the entire rim and tire but those caps are a few inches of thick rubber and more than enough to take you out if it were to go through your windshield. 

31 minutes ago, Dante said:

I've come close a couple times to hitting flying tire caps (off tractor trailers) on the highway. Granted it's not the entire rim and tire but those caps are a few inches of thick rubber and more than enough to take you out if it were to go through your windshield. 

Took a piece of truck tread through my windshield many years ago (2004, probably).  Truck's wheel about 50 yards in front of me came apart, and a good-sized section came straight at me quicker than I could react.

That was fun.

33 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Took a piece of truck tread through my windshield many years ago (2004, probably).  Truck's wheel about 50 yards in front of me came apart, and a good-sized section came straight at me quicker than I could react.

That was fun.

...was Tom Petty on the radio? That would explain a few things.

1 hour ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

...was Tom Petty on the radio? That would explain a few things.

Of course not.  Listening to Tom Petty and getting hit in the face with a truck tire would be redundant.  

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Dante said:

With all the improvements in the remanufacturing of recapped tires, you would think this would be less of a problem.  Somehow, I think it is a case of relaxed standards and methods.