Please do not flush the goldfish

Saxum

An article from last week on a site I occasionally visit.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/can-you-flush-goldfish

FLUSHING A DECEASED GOLDFISH DOWN the toilet seems to be a rite of passage: a first pet, not long for this world, getting a ceremonial swirl at the end of its brief, eventful journey. There are some people, however, who don’t wait for the fish to die, and some fish that make it through the ordeal. Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper (BNW), a nonprofit organization that works to protect the Niagara River and Lake Erie watershed, recently took to Facebook to show what can happen next.

When’s the last time you saw a school of goldfish jumping into the air attacking boaters and water-skiers? They are passive fish and make good meals for Musky, Walleye and even Grizzly Bears in Alaska. (See Bear Cam thread sponsored by Mead007).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hypothetically, what if tequila is involved, and a goldfish replaces the worm (stolen by some nut in a Jets shirt). Would the passing of the goldfish be a deal breaker on heaven? 

I mean, hypothetically.......

Absolutely not. Assuming you are talking about Christian heaven Jesus turned one fish into many and water into wine so one more should not hurt your chances.  Now other groups opinion may differ.

I have been told that large goldfish can be quite taste when prepared right.  Even koi can be eaten if not raised for fish pond since those who raise for fish ponds often use a  lot of chemicals making them not safe for human consumption.

30 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Absolutely not. Assuming you are talking about Christian heaven Jesus turned one fish into many and water into wine so one more should not hurt your chances.  Now other groups opinion may differ.

I have been told that large goldfish can be quite taste when prepared right.  Even koi can be eaten if not raised for fish pond since those who raise for fish ponds often use a  lot of chemicals making them not safe for human consumption.

When they rotenoned the 2 mile reach of river below where I work in 2011 because of Asian carp... Rotenone is a piscicide, the fishkill wiped out 100,000 pounds of fish which was about 12,000 individual pieces of fish from 30+ different species.  They used full size dumpsters to haul it away. 

This was a reach of river that 40 years prior in 1971 that didn't support any aquatic life outside of "sludge worms" on the river bottom.  Basically in 1971, it was a "dead zone."  It lacked sufficient oxygen to sustain aquatic life.

Fast-forward to 2011.  They found koi during that fishkill.  They also found 3 alligators in the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs) during the 2010 summer. LoL...

The Clean Water Act has done wonderful things since the early 1970s...Even if those wonderful things is to promote the spread of invasive species.

How are they going to get people to stop flushing ***** down their toilet now?  They have completed the studies on the CAWs.  They know the vectors for a lot of this stuff.  The data is in. How are they going to stop live well transfer, bait bucket transfer, hulls of boats... Heck the Chicago River runs smack dab right through Chinatown... What about "cultural release" as part of tradition?  Heck ice, cooler water, fish parts, etc... Go right down the drain and run off into the river.  For a decade now they have been studying the vectors of transmission.

What's next?  Environmental Big Brother???

OUR (US/N.America) world is getting cleaner by the minute while the 3rd World is getting worse.

Now we are worrying about fish being flushed down the toilet?  You gotta be kidding?

2011 is almost a decade ago.

My 2¢.  LMAO!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois