Interesting Bills Digest Article

JoeF

Some Stats...Drew vs. the 3-4

2 wins 8 losses the last three years against teams playing primarily the 3-4 including 0 and 5 in 2004. This includes the Pats in 03 and 04 when the 3 - 4 was the primary scheme.

In 2004, the five games against the 3-4 he threw 2 TDs and 10 interceptions.

In the 10 games against the 3-4 the last 3 years Bledsoe was sacked an average of almost 4 times per game. In the other 38 starts he was sacked an average of 2.7 times per game...

So record vs. 3-4 2 wins 8 losses

Record vs. conventional 21 wins 17 losses

Found this pretty interesting.....It was a good column by Brown titled Why the Bills Fell Short with Bledsoe.

Some Stats...Drew vs. the 3-4

2 wins 8 losses the last three years against teams playing primarily the 3-4 including 0 and 5 in 2004.  This includes the Pats in 03 and 04 when the 3 - 4 was the primary scheme.

In 2004, the five games against the 3-4 he threw 2 TDs and 10 interceptions.

In the 10 games against the 3-4 the last 3 years Bledsoe was sacked an average of almost 4 times per game.  In the other 38 starts he was sacked an average of 2.7 times per game...

So record vs. 3-4                      2 wins  8 losses

Record vs. conventional            21 wins  17 losses

Found this pretty interesting.....It was a good column by Brown titled Why the Bills Fell Short with Bledsoe.

294552[/snapback]

That is really interesting and something I'd never given thought to. However he should have titled the article "Why other teams love to play against Bledsoe." :)

In the 10 games against the 3-4 the last 3 years Bledsoe was sacked an average of almost 4 times per game.  In the other 38 starts he was sacked an average of 2.7 times per game...

294552[/snapback]

The 34 defense is designed to confuse the QB about where the rush is coming from...and blitz recognition/pocket presence is DB's weakest attribute, so this is not surprising.

As the Anti-Drew, I'm really excited to see what JP brings to the party this fall. He played behind a weak line at Tulane and had to constantly make quick reads and pull plays out of thin air as the pocket broke down. If he can bring this quality to the Bills, it'll take a lot of stress of the OL and keep defenses honest (eg, not sending 5+ guys after the QB as most of the good teams were doing to DB).

The 34 defense is designed to confuse the QB about where the rush is coming from...and blitz recognition/pocket presence is DB's weakest attribute, so this is not surprising.

I'd say the OL and WRs struggled with blitz recognition/pickup as well. On numerous occasions, DB tried to throw to the "hot" receiver, only the receiver was going 20 yards downfield. :)

The whole team pretty much sucked at that.

CW

I'd say the OL and WRs struggled with blitz recognition/pickup as well.  On numerous occasions, DB tried to throw to the "hot" receiver, only the receiver was going 20 yards downfield.  :)

CW

294618[/snapback]

Agreed. Under Gilbride's offense in 2002-03, there were very few hot receiver options and DB looked the worse for it. Last year, there were indeed "hot" options, but it took Evans a while to get the hang of reading the D and getting on the same page with Drew.

Still, it was infuriating to see Bledsoe continue to hold the ball when he did have dump off options. His lack of pocket presence (slow decision making) is really astounding for a 12-year vet.

Agreed.  Under Gilbride's offense in 2002-03, there were very few hot receiver options and DB looked the worse for it.  Last year, there were indeed "hot" options, but it took Evans a while to get the hang of reading the D and getting on the same page with Drew. 

Still, it was infuriating to see Bledsoe continue to hold the ball when he did have dump off options.  His lack of pocket presence (slow decision making) is really astounding for a 12-year vet.

294623[/snapback]

I hope it isn't any more infuriating watching a rookie miss the need for hot options. He needs to see it coming. And we need Josh Reed to be a more reliable hot read option.

JP will most certainly miss some hot reads his first season, but with his speed and quick decision-making we might actually get a scrambled-for first down instead of a sack/fumble/interception.

If he is still missing his hot-reads after TWELVE seasons, send him to Dallas.

294552[/snapback]

Interesting thought, but I don't think it's fully examined.

I'm not certain of the makeup of the 10 games against 3-4 teams, but 3 of them are NE, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, which makes up 6 of the games. Those are pretty good teams.

If you looked at how Bledsoe did against teams above .500 you'd probably see the same thing.

Jack - L

NE - L

NYJ - L

Balt - L

NYJ - W

NE - L

Sea - W

Pitt - L

2-6 against teams over .500

7-1 against teams at or under .500

NE - W

Mia - L

Phil - L

KC - L

Dal - L

Ind - L

Ten - L

Mia - L

NE - L

1-8 against teams over .500

5-2 against teams at or under .500

2004/2003 total

3-14 against teams over .500

12-3 against teams at or under .500

Bledsoe struggled against teams using a 3-4, but he struggled against good teams regardless of their scheme. The teams using a 3-4 are pretty good to start with (unless you argue that they're good because they use the 3-4).

I'd say the OL and WRs struggled with blitz recognition/pickup as well.  On numerous occasions, DB tried to throw to the "hot" receiver, only the receiver was going 20 yards downfield.  :)

CW

294618[/snapback]

Another epidose of "It wasn't Drew's fault!"- brought to you by the always loyal Bledsoe Excuse Generator :doh:

Interesting thought, but I don't think it's fully examined.

I'm not certain of the makeup of the 10 games against 3-4 teams, but 3 of them are NE, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, which makes up 6 of the games.  Those are pretty good teams.

2004/2003 total

3-14 against teams over .500

12-3 against teams at or under .500

Bledsoe struggled against teams using a 3-4, but he struggled against good teams regardless of their scheme.  The teams using a 3-4 are pretty good to start with (unless you argue that they're good because they use the 3-4).

294645[/snapback]

Another valid and good anaylsis crows.

This provides a couple of things to look at to judge if the Bills improve under JP...record against winning teams, record against the 3-4 base teams. Drew did break the awful road string -- and the road wins included Seattle and Cincy -- so I give some credit there.

Didn't mean for this to become another anti versus pro Drew thread. Guess I was stupid to think it wouldn't end up there. Just thought the stat was interesting.

Where did I say it wasn't Drew's fault?  I said it wasn't *entirely* his fault.  Big difference.

Learn how to read.  It'll serve you well for a lifetime.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

CW

294764[/snapback]

I'm not ashamed to admit I was hooked on phonics. You know-- came from a broken home, struggled with self-esteem.

It started ok-- I would just read a sentence or two. Before I knew it I was spending all my time at the library; I would secretly read during my lunch breaks. All my coworkers knew but I was too blind to see. I quit cold turkey and it took weeks of puking and hallucinations, but i'm finally phonics-free.

Kids, listen to me: stay away from phonics. Phonics are bad, mmmmkay?

Fez, all you do is stick up for Bledsoe. Tell me, how many rose-colored pairs of glasses do you actually own?

294772[/snapback]

I stick up for facts and will call people out on it when they blame the entire '04 season DB.

For example, DB was sacked on average LESS than Brady was, once we benched TH. Yet you still read everyone saying, "He gets sacked every other play." False.

"Even my grandmother couldn't do any worse than Bledsoe did." We went 9-7. Again, false.

Same thing with the blitzes; yes, he held the ball too long from time to time, but OL forgot to block just as much, and receivers didn't shorten their routes just as much.

If I have rose colored glasses, then you obviously have blinders. I guess we average out in that case.

CW

I stick up for facts and will call people out on it when they blame the entire '04 season DB.

For example, DB was sacked on average LESS than Brady was, once we benched TH.  Yet you still read everyone saying, "He gets sacked every other play."  False.

"Even my grandmother couldn't do any worse than Bledsoe did."  We went 9-7.  Again, false.

Same thing with the blitzes; yes, he held the ball too long from time to time, but OL forgot to block just as much, and receivers didn't shorten their routes just as much.

If I have rose colored glasses, then you obviously have blinders.  I guess we average out in that case.

CW

294777[/snapback]

How do I have blinders? Because I realize Bledsoe sucks, and is to take the MAJORITY of the blame for the '04 season. Tell me, who do you blame for the Steelers loss? I blame DB.

Another epidose of "It wasn't Drew's fault!"- brought to you by the always loyal Bledsoe Excuse Generator :)

294678[/snapback]

That wasn't an excuse. That was flat out truth. There were a number of times he either threw the ball or went to throw the ball at a hot read, and there was no one there.

I appreciate the fact that Bledsoe sucked and single-handedly set back the position of quarterback by at least a century. But I wish people would recognize the rest of the team wasn't perfect.

That wasn't an excuse. That was flat out truth. There were a number of times he either threw the ball or went to throw the ball at a hot read, and there was no one there.

I appreciate the fact that Bledsoe sucked and single-handedly set back the position of quarterback by at least a century. But I wish people would recognize the rest of the team wasn't perfect.

294781[/snapback]

For example he hit Bobby Shaw in the back twice on hot reads before Shaw was cut....playmaking is a team thing--several elements working together or not working together...

Drew has obvious limitations...ones that probably would have never let the team progress very much beyond the 9-7 we finished last year. He was easy to defend. You didn't have to play the edges or hold back at all on a pass rush cause he was no threat..you hug the line,play press and blitz...we have an unproven QB with different skills now--JP is going to be under the gun until he proves he can handle it--once he proves he can beat the blitz with his arm and his feet then he has to learn how to recognize and read coverages and be a smart QB...we'll see how long it takes..

How do I have blinders? Because I realize Bledsoe sucks, and is to take the MAJORITY of the blame for the '04 season. Tell me, who do you blame for the Steelers loss? I blame DB.

294778[/snapback]

Your honor, the defense rests.

CW