Major League Baseball Predction Thread

Mets fans, how do you like your bullpen now?? Can you say "IMPLOSION!"

295657[/snapback]

That was something, huh? I was at lunch and they switched over to that game in time to catch the last couple of Mutts batters and then the bottom of the 9th. Man, did the REDS put a hurting on that "closer." Great stuff.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same old mets, same old yankees. The Mets just know how to lose. I watched that game today. Pedro pitched great(12 ks in 6 innings, 3 hits), Beltran played great-yet the Mets blew a late inning lead. The Mets will go nowhere until they get a real closer

Great game for Blue Jays today a 5 – 2 win. But more special Tom Cheek who had brain surgery two weeks ago as he has Glioblastoma Multiforme call some innings his 28 th opening day as Jay announcer., thats all Jays opening games...

I dont care what he used to do.  I care what he does for the Yanks.  Sheff and Matsui are more productive Yankees then ARod

295459[/snapback]

Put Matsui or Sheff in the 2 slot on the batting order and A-Rod 3rd and 4th and A-Rod would be the one with the better numbers last year.

Put Matsui or Sheff in the 2 slot on the batting order and A-Rod 3rd and 4th and A-Rod would be the one with the better numbers last year.

295913[/snapback]

A-Rod was in the 3 spot for a while and wasn't producing. That's why Torre moved him to the 2. Then he started putting up good offensive numbers.

Great game for Blue Jays today a  5 – 2 win.  But more special Tom Cheek who had brain surgery two weeks ago as he has Glioblastoma  Multiforme  call some innings his 28 th opening day as Jay announcer., thats all Jays opening games...

295667[/snapback]

Woohoo!

It's gotta start with beating teams like the D-Rays. Time for this team to return to respectability. Halladay looked good yesterday, too.

Woohoo!

It's gotta start with beating teams like the D-Rays.  Time for this team to return to respectability.  Halladay looked good yesterday, too.

296039[/snapback]

And I bet Vernon Wells returns to the form he was at 2 years ago as well. Blue Jays also have another pitcher, David Bush, who will be very good.

Pedro pitched great(12 ks in 6 innings, 3 hits)

295663[/snapback]

Great ??? Is that what it's called after giving up 3 earned runs and leaving with an ERA of 4.5??? That is not my definition of Great.

And I bet Vernon Wells returns to the form he was at 2 years ago as well.  Blue Jays also have another pitcher, David Bush, who will be very good.

296044[/snapback]

...If he doesn't get himself into trouble by plunking too many Yanks. Glad Womack wasn't hurt too bad after that.

The Jays absolutely do need Wells to step up and become a leader. I think he's up for it. He definitely struggled with injuries last year. A nice rookie campaign from Chachin (he killed 'em in double-A, might be too early for him yet) would be appreciated too.

...If he doesn't get himself into trouble by plunking too many Yanks.  Glad Womack wasn't hurt too bad after that. 

The Jays absolutely do need Wells to step up and become a leader.  I think he's up for it.  He definitely struggled with injuries last year.  A nice rookie campaign from Chachin (he killed 'em in double-A, might be too early for him yet) would be appreciated too.

296064[/snapback]

Jays will be much better this year and are building a interesting team, with Roger giving management $240 million to spend on team over the next few years they will have some money to fill some holes. Two - three years away but there is hope for future...

Great ??? Is that what it's called after giving up 3 earned runs and leaving with an ERA of 4.5??? That is not my definition of Great.

296059[/snapback]

Besides making 1 bad pitch to Adam Dunn the 1st inning. Pedro was dominant..I agree the end result dosent look great, but Pedro has a long stretch in that game where he was nearly unhittable.

Besides making 1 bad pitch to Adam Dunn the 1st inning. Pedro was dominant..I agree the end result dosent look great, but Pedro has a long stretch in that game where he was nearly unhittable.

296092[/snapback]

Good grief , he struck out the side twice, two in a couple of innings and ended up striking out twelve in six innings.

Pedro was great

296092[/snapback]

Typical early season start for skinny Pete. However, the need to get him out of the game around 100 pitches is going to continue to expose the Mutts' bullpen.

296092[/snapback]

Ok, so Pedro had a good game. But, since he gave the 3 run dinger, it really can't be considered great.

Increasing attendance at their respective stadiums every year? A plethora of wealth because of supportive fans? Being well run businesses that know how to churn a profit?

293709[/snapback]

A giant market and/or media conglomerate behind each doesn't hurt.

I think the Yanks play with class (save for A-Rod) and are able keep a lot of core guys and pick up any spare part they need. But one can't argue that the Yanks live in the lap of luxury. It's not hard to get players (and good scouts, front-office people) to stay with the Yanks -- as long as they can handle the pressure. It's very, very easy for them to make money as the most recognizable American sports franchise, in one of its largest cities, with an unstoppable amount of media coverage, as well as its own network. I don't have a problem with people whose granddads took them to Yanks games and are lifelong fans, but as someone who roots for an in-division team that's not the Sox, the sport loses some of the luster it once had for me as a kid, before all-out free-agency and the era of freewheeling major market franchises.

I am glad the A's and Twins have found a way to compete -- and I think more teams that are not large market media darlings will have to follow their model. I hope the Jays can get there. Not this year though. I'll be happy with third place.

AL

East: Yanks

Central: Indians

West: Rangers

WC: Red Sox

AL Pennant: Yanks

NL

East: Marlins

Central: Cardinals

West: Dodgers

WC: Braves

NL Pennant: Marlins

WS Winner: Yanks in 7

AL CY: Randy Johnson

AL MVP: Vernon Wells

NL CY: Roger Clemens

NL MVP: Carlos Delgado

A giant market and/or media conglomerate behind each doesn't hurt.

I think the Yanks play with class (save for A-Rod) and are able keep a lot of core guys and pick up any spare part they need.  But one can't argue that the Yanks live in the lap of luxury.  It's not hard to get players (and good scouts, front-office people) to stay with the Yanks -- as long as they can handle the pressure.  It's very, very easy for them to make money as the most recognizable American sports franchise, in one of its largest cities, with an unstoppable amount of media coverage, as well as its own network.  I don't have a problem with people whose granddads took them to Yanks games and are lifelong fans, but as someone who roots for an in-division team that's not the Sox, the sport loses some of the luster it once had for me as a kid, before all-out free-agency and the era of freewheeling major market franchises.

I am glad the A's and Twins have found a way to compete -- and I think more teams that are not large market media darlings will have to follow their model.  I hope the Jays can get there.  Not this year though.  I'll be happy with third place.

AL

East: Yanks

Central: Indians

West: Rangers

WC: Red Sox

AL Pennant: Yanks

NL

East: Marlins

Central: Cardinals

West: Dodgers

WC: Braves

NL Pennant: Marlins

WS Winner: Yanks in 7

AL CY: Randy Johnson

AL MVP: Vernon Wells

NL CY: Roger Clemens

NL MVP: Carlos Delgado

296191[/snapback]

At some point the Blue Jays should be able to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. There's a ton of money in Toronto and that city is growing rapidly. Not to mention that they are *the* team in Ontario and you're looking at a huge fan base (which gets even bigger if they ever decide to reach out to Buffalo). I know they had a bad deal with the SkyDome for a long time but hopefully that's changing. Also, it would help to drop the black from the uniform and replace it with royal blue.

Someday I'd also like MLB to expand the AL by two teams and make each league 4-divisions made up of 4 teams each. The Wild Card has been a huge success but I think this format would result in even more teams in the playoff race and better intra-divisional rivalries. All the regular season games between the Yankees and Red Sox would have a playoff feel because, for all intents and purposes, they are playoff games. And a four team division of NY, Boston, Balitimore and _______ (Toronto? NJ? ??) could have all big market teams and thus some added parity that isn't present when TB is in the AL East.

Someday I'd also like MLB to expand the AL by two teams and make each league 4-divisions made up of 4 teams each.  The Wild Card has been a huge success but I think this format would result in even more teams in the playoff race and better intra-divisional rivalries.  All the regular season games between the Yankees and Red Sox would have a playoff feel because, for all intents and purposes, they are playoff games.  And a four team division of NY, Boston, Balitimore and _______ (Toronto? NJ? ??) could have all big market teams and thus some added parity that isn't present when TB is in the AL East.

296216[/snapback]

My understanding is that Toronto is not really a big market team anymore. The exchange rate still sucks and they have problems drawing enough fans. Their stadium is far from state of the art anymore and has lost a lot of its appeal.

Your reallignment plan would pretty much ruin any chance of my Orioles doing anything in regards to the playoffs. While they used to have of the highest payrolls, it is becoming increasingly clear that they aren't a high enough revenue team to be more than mid-market. For the past couple of years they have been outspent by the Athletics, for example.

I think we would be better off contraction rather than expansion. The Marlins and the Devil Rays were big mistakes. Baseball in Florida only works in spring training in my opinion. The Marlins have problems drawing fans even in seasons where they win the WS! I mean, I know their stadium sucks, but still.

My understanding is that Toronto is not really a big market team anymore. The exchange rate still sucks and they have problems drawing enough fans. Their stadium is far from state of the art anymore and has lost a lot of its appeal.

Your reallignment plan would pretty much ruin any chance of my Orioles doing anything in regards to the playoffs. While they used to have of the highest payrolls, it is becoming increasingly clear that they aren't a high enough revenue team to be more than mid-market. For the past couple of years they have been outspent by the Athletics, for example.

296246[/snapback]

Toronto itself is a BIG market. The city has 2.2 million people and they basically have all of Ontario at their disposal which brings their market WAY up. I know they had problems with their SkyDome lease but I think those days are over now that the team actually owns the stadium. There has to be a way to turn them into above-average spenders. And I still really like SkyDome (now called Rogers Centre) as a great place to catch a game.

I don't know about the Orioles but revenue sharing is still picking up so who knows?