Major League Baseball Predction Thread

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice a lot of the same teams being picked as the ones who got in last year. This illustrates one of the major problems with baseball.

293652[/snapback]

And New England has won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls and the Philadelphia Eagles have been in the Final 4 four straight years....yep, stuff like that ONLY happens in baseball, yes, it does happen in the holy grail of the NFL too.

I know I bring this up a lot, and it may be a nomnation for the Dead Horse Beaters club, and yes, baseball HAS problems, but I guess the fact that 4 different rteams have won the World Series in the last 4 years seems to escape a lot of people's minds

I notice a lot of the same teams being picked as the ones who got in last year. This illustrates one of the major problems with baseball.

293652[/snapback]

Yeah whatever, football has had less champions over the last seven years than baseball.

And New England has won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls and the Philadelphia Eagles have been in the Final 4 four straight years....yep, stuff like that ONLY happens in baseball, yes, it does happen in the holy grail of the NFL too.

293680[/snapback]

Except that dominance is much harder to come by in the NFL. Look at the churn of playoff teams outside of the Patriots and the Eagles. Exceptions to the rule do not prove that the NFL and MLB's situation is anywhere close to the same. At least in the NFL when a team can be consistently good you can be much more sure of good management rather than economic advantage.

The Angels, the Red Sox and the Yankees all have what in common?

Except that dominance is much harder to come by in the NFL. Look at the churn of playoff teams outside of the Patriots and the Eagles. Exceptions to the rule do not prove  that the NFL and MLB's situation is anywhere close to the same. At least in the NFL when a team can be consistently good you can be much more sure of good management rather than economic advantage.

293688[/snapback]

I thought winning the Championship is all that matters...now that a point wants to be proven and something is said about the NFL, it dosent matter...unreal.

NBA has a cap too, how many different teams really win there either?

AL East: NY Yankees

AL Central: Minnesota Twins

AL West: Los Angeles Angels

AL Wildcard: Boston Red Sox

American League Champion: Boston Red Sox

NL East: Atlanta Braves

NL Central: Chicago Cubs

NL West: San Diego Padres

NL Wildcard: St. Louis Cardinals

National League Champions: Chicago Cubs

World Series Champions: Boston Red Sox

MVP (AL): Manny Ramirez, Boston Red Sox

MVP (NL): Albert Pujols, St Louis Cardinals

CY (AL): Randy Johnson, NY Yankees

CY (NL): Jason Schmidt, San Francisco

Except that dominance is much harder to come by in the NFL. Look at the churn of playoff teams outside of the Patriots and the Eagles. Exceptions to the rule do not prove  that the NFL and MLB's situation is anywhere close to the same. At least in the NFL when a team can be consistently good you can be much more sure of good management rather than economic advantage.

293688[/snapback]

The Angels won their World Series in 2002 when they had a middle of the road payroll. It wasn't until last season that they really started spending, and they still failed to win a playoff game. The Yankees last won a World Series in 2000, before they started buying the big free agents every year. The Mets, Phillies, and Dodgers are all examples of big spending teams that don't go far.

That would be two curses broken against you guys. I'd call that poetic justice.  :doh:

293687[/snapback]

:devil:

Thank you...Myself and USMCBillsFan will be the NY Yankees Representatives of this board...

Never happen...

Never happen...

What is the 2nd curse that would be broken...?

I know about  the Cubs curse...but im confused on the 2nd one

293703[/snapback]

Only way the BoSox were going to get to that WS was to go through you. And honestly if I was a BoSox fan, which I'm not I cannot stand the whining of the general population including Bill Simmons, I wouldn't have wanted to have broken the curse in any other way.

AL East: NY Yankees

AL Central: Minnesota Twins

AL West: California Angels

AL Wildcard: Boston Red Sox

American League Champion: Bronx Bombers

NL East: Atlanta Braves

NL Central: St Louis Cardinals

NL West: San Francisco Giants

NL Wildcard: Chicago Cubs

National League Champions: Chicago Cubs

World Series Champions: The Mighty Yankees

MVP (AL): Hideki Matsui, New York Yankees

MVP (NL): Albert Puljos, St Louis Cardinals

CY (AL): Randy Johnson, NY Yankees

CY (NL): Mark Prior, Chicago Cubs

293688[/snapback]

Increasing attendance at their respective stadiums every year? A plethora of wealth because of supportive fans? Being well run businesses that know how to churn a profit?

I thought winning the Championship is all that matters...now that a point wants to be proven and something is said about the NFL, it dosent matter...unreal.

NBA has a cap too, how many different teams really win there either?

293691[/snapback]

The championship is all that matters? Then why do we care so much about getting to the playoffs or having a 9-7 season over a 6-10 season?

Small market teams can consistently compete in the NFL. Most teams' fans garner some hope that they can be the next San Diego Chargers. Most fans of baseball teams feel like they have no shot year after year. The Twins and As may not spend that much but they play in weaker divisions (unbalanced schedules benefit them significantly) and have benefited from being lucky enough to have much shrewder management. Having that kind of organization that can occasionally challenge teams spending twice, three or four times more than them is extremely rare. They are lucky enough to have it.

It is extremely hypocritical for Bills fans to be saying how income disparities are good for baseball when the Bills would either be 2-14 or out of Buffalo if the salary cap didn't exist.

Increasing attendance at their respective stadiums every year? A plethora of wealth because of supportive fans? Being well run businesses that know how to churn a profit?

293709[/snapback]

Cool uniforms too.

Cool uniforms too.

293715[/snapback]

The Braves are wearing their new alternative jersey on 13 Sunday's this year to celebrate their 13 divsion championships. Supposedly they are the red jerseys that have been introduced on MVP Baseball but they are being "offically" relased tomorrow in the exhibition game against the Indians.

Should be neat....

293709[/snapback]

Or it could be that their market size means that they will always have a built in revenue advantage.

The Bills are well run and have one of the most supportive fan bases in the NFL yet if revenue sharing didn't exist, they couldn't afford to stay in WNY. Should we just let the "free market" work in the NFL and have all the teams move to the biggest cities?

MLB's popularity has shrunk while the NFL has surpassed it. The very reason is that all of the teams and their fans know that if they run the business well, they can be competitive every year.