Major League Baseball Predction Thread

I think we would be better off contraction rather than expansion. The Marlins and the Devil Rays were big mistakes. Baseball in Florida only works in spring training in my opinion. The Marlins have problems drawing fans even in seasons where they win the WS! I mean, I know their stadium sucks, but still.

296250[/snapback]

Some markets will always be weaker than others. Seattle was a terrible market for a really long time (MLB even forced the guys behind Naked Gun to include them in the final act to give them some credibility). Baseball in Florida has just been handled really poorly since it began.

I'm mostly in favor of expansion (not in the near future) because of the 16 team league format.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Blue Jays have the same problem that Canadien hockey teams do?  The Montreal Canadiens pay more taxes than every NHL team COMBINED.  That's a killer.

296267[/snapback]

No actually the Ontario has much more business friendly tax systems than other parts of Canada.

There is a substantial deduction teams receive for player salaries for instance.

Notice how leafs are one of the most profitable teams in hockey in spite of same problems in terms of dollar value compared ot U.S.

Now that Rogers owns the Skydome, they are able to earn monies in advertising they were not able to previously and control all aspects of marketing.

The Jays main problem for a number of years was having a ownership that was in flux and wanted out,

They now have a owner who will keep the team and does know how to make money.

Rogers has put $240 million into pot for management to use and they are a young and building team, and without injuries to young prospects and core players, two years they will be a viable wild card team and a strong team soon enough.

Remember Jays in mid eighties through ninties had a decade of huge success both at the box office and on the field. This same cycle will come around again.

The money is there, not to the extent they can outspend everyone like Yankees and Sox when they want a player, but they will have enough to fill needs.

Yeah, I see JP's going have some dough to spend next year. Plus, what an awesome deal on the Rogers Centre!

I can remember going up there in the early 90's when the place was jam packed all the time. Same with Shea. Amazing what success can do for you!

No actually the Ontario has much more business friendly tax systems than other parts of Canada.

There is a substantial deduction  teams receive  for player salaries for instance.

Notice how leafs are one of the most profitable teams in hockey in spite of same problems in terms of dollar value compared ot U.S.

Now that Rogers owns the Skydome, they are able to earn monies in advertising they were not able to previously and control all aspects of marketing.

The Jays main problem for a number of years was having a ownership that was in flux and wanted out,

Rogers has put $240 million into pot for management to use and they are a young and building team, and without injuries to young prospects and core players, two years they  will be a viable wild card team and a strong team soon enough.

Remember Jays in mid eighties through ninties had a decade of huge success both at the box office and on the field.  This same cycle will come around again.

The money is there, not to the extent they can outspend everyone like Yankees and Sox when they want a player, but they will have enough to fill needs.

296307[/snapback]

Thanks. I figured it was some kind of Quebec thing. They're not having alot of luck taxing their way to prosperity.

There is a substantial deduction  teams receive  for player salaries for instance.

Rogers has put $240 million into pot for management to use and they are a young and building team, and without injuries to young prospects and core players, two years they  will be a viable wild card team and a strong team soon enough.

Remember Jays in mid eighties through ninties had a decade of huge success both at the box office and on the field.  This same cycle will come around again.

296307[/snapback]

They drew over 4 million fans annually for three years. That's obscene!

Yanks win 115+ games and sweep the playoffs.

Randy Johnson makes a run at 30 wins.  I guess 28.

Hideki Matsui puts up triple crown like numbers and wins the AL MVP

295354[/snapback]

Yanks win 115+ games and sweep the playoffs. CHECK Yanks 2-0

Randy Johnson makes a run at 30 wins. I guess 28. CHECK Johnson 1 start- 1 win(last year RJ had 30 decisions and 35 starts

Hideki Matsui puts up triple crown like numbers and wins the AL MVP CHECK 6 for 9, 4 runs, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 1.33 SLG

:lol:

Yanks win 115+ games and sweep the playoffs.  CHECK Yanks 2-0

Randy Johnson makes a run at 30 wins.  I guess 28. CHECK Johnson 1 start- 1 win(last year RJ had 30 decisions and 35 starts

Hideki Matsui puts up triple crown like numbers and wins the AL MVP CHECK 6 for 9, 4 runs, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 1.33 SLG

:lol:

296795[/snapback]

Ooh, one eightyfirst of the way through and you're dead nutz. :lol::lol: