Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Just now, K-9 said:

Great game! We deserved a better fate but I’m not gonna complain after the effort they showed tonight. 

While I agree somewhat, 53 maybes buries one of those 3 golden chances in the last 2 minutes 68 did not. 

love the effort, best game this year I think, but the insistence on punishing 53 with no ice time in critical situations cost this team tonight.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Risto for Trocheck would have been abominable. I’m happy that didn’t happen.

I agree with you that a Risto for Trocheck deal would have been a bad deal. But the speculation was that his name was dangled maybe not necessarily for that deal but for other deals. Under Krueger Risto has elevated his play. Unless a deal is too good to pass up I want to keep him. He has become our anchor defenseman.   

• Like (+1) 1

This was a terrific game. Although Colorado is contending with a number of injuries they are still a top tier team. We matched them in this game. Olofsson had a few golden opportunities at the end of the game but he missed on them.

Miller made a major mistake on their last goal by not staying in position and they capitalized on it.

Both goalies played well. I was really impressed with the Colorado goalie. 

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man, this Skinner situation gunna get ugly no? Dude got 7x$8m left, and gets 2 minutes in the third , and I read one shift after they down 1. Skinner has NMC I believe. What is the end game here?

The end game is that the player will have to adjust his game to fit Krueger's tighter, two way game. Krueger's system is predicated on aggressive checking on the puck in the defensive zone leading to the offense. His demanding system doesn't allow for floaters. 

Skinner is a highly competitive player and a self-motivated player. I'm not as worried about him as you seem to be. The remedy to how Skinner is currently being used is to put him on an upgraded line. The offseason is where that issue is going to be meaningfully addressed.  

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Miller made a major mistake on their last goal by not staying in position and they capitalized on it.

It's a brain fart for sure, but how many goals has Hutton given up this year as a direct result of that stick swipe move?  That thing is so high risk/low reward.  It's another item on the long list of Carter Hutton moves where his momentum takes him out of position.  There has to be a book on him, to take your wrap around attempts wide, leaving the opposite site of the net wide open.  I don't see any what that he's not on this roster next year, but I hope that Bales can coach that out of him.

But whatever, it's just one loss.  If people think they needed to go 15-5 for any shot at the playoffs, that run would include some losses.  And at the same time, Toronto's not going to go 0-20.  There's going to be a Buffalo loss here and also some Toronto/Florida wins.  Now they just need to bounce back, something they've been horrible at doing.  They did look like a different team last night, so hopefully that different team continues to show up.  More games like that, along with some puck luck to the Eichel line and they're going to wind up in the win column more often than not.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The end game is that the player will have to adjust his game to fit Krueger's tighter, two way game. Krueger's system is predicated on aggressive checking on the puck in the defensive zone leading to the offense. His demanding system doesn't allow for floaters. 

Skinner is a highly competitive player and a self-motivated player. I'm not as worried about him as you seem to be. The remedy to how Skinner is currently being used is to put him on an upgraded line. The offseason is where that issue is going to be meaningfully addressed.  

Hes 28 or 29, he aint changing no matter who the coach. And if he does change, how does that affect his ability to do the one thing you paid him big money to do...and thats score goals. If they reach an impasse, and Ralph stays..you want a a$9M goal scorer playing with 3rd line talent and not seeing the ice when goals are needed? Man, that sure eats a lot of the cap space you are so sure is gunna be the savior of this team.

Also, quick favor. Thanks for posting the links, and understand if you have not listened, but if you have would appreciate a few bullet points! Thanks!

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's a brain fart for sure, but how many goals has Hutton given up this year as a direct result of that stick swipe move?  That thing is so high risk/low reward.  It's another item on the long list of Carter Hutton moves where his momentum takes him out of position.  There has to be a book on him, to take your wrap around attempts wide, leaving the opposite site of the net wide open.  I don't see any what that he's not on this roster next year, but I hope that Bales can coach that out of him.

But whatever, it's just one loss.  If people think they needed to go 15-5 for any shot at the playoffs, that run would include some losses.  And at the same time, Toronto's not going to go 0-20.  There's going to be a Buffalo loss here and also some Toronto/Florida wins.  Now they just need to bounce back, something they've been horrible at doing.  They did look like a different team last night, so hopefully that different team continues to show up.  More games like that, along with some puck luck to the Eichel line and they're going to wind up in the win column more often than not.

My nephew and i were arguing about that last night..is that swipe new? I kow he gave up a cheapie in Ottawa on it as well. Worked earlier in the game, but i think you right the book will be out on that move quickly. 

And whats weird is last night the stats nerds said the Sabres got dominated, and I thought they played well. I usually buy in hard to the numbers...but thought they played a great name last night

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Hutton is Hutton. I'm not dismissing his mistakes because he is what he is. He made some stick swipes in the game that took away chances and made some stick swipes that put him at risk. What you got is what you got. Those risk plays reflect who he is as a player. In the short run he is what we got; in the longer run he won't be here. 

In a playoff type intensely played game against a cup contending team with many potent/skilled players it is not surprising that a breakdown is going to be capitalized on. At the end of the game we had our multiple chances with Olofsson in a good position to score. He simply didn't convert. 

The Sabres are not going to make the playoffs. I'm a Sabre fan but not I'm suffering from delusion. What I want to see is a team getting better and developing. I see it; I'm encouraged by it. I also want to see meaningful games played at the end of the season for the sake of the fans and for the development towards being a serious team. 

This was a terrific game from a competitive standpoint and as a measuring stick game. It demonstrated that when we play the right way we can play with the upper-echelon teams, of which we are not at that level. It's an arduous process but I strongly believe that we are moving in the right direction. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hes 28 or 29, he aint changing no matter who the coach. And if he does change, how does that affect his ability to do the one thing you paid him big money to do...and thats score goals. If they reach an impasse, and Ralph stays..you want a a$9M goal scorer playing with 3rd line talent and not seeing the ice when goals are needed? Man, that sure eats a lot of the cap space you are so sure is gunna be the savior of this team.

Also, quick favor. Thanks for posting the links, and understand if you have not listened, but if you have would appreciate a few bullet points! Thanks!

The issue isn't Skinner---it is Krueger. He is a coach with a conviction in his core coaching principles. And he is not afraid to adhere to his convictions regardless of the stature of the player. He has kept Dahlin on the bench and sent players to the suite in the arena for games when he feels that it is necessary to get them back into the fold. When interviewed Krueger usually keeps his composure. However, I have noticed on a couple of occasions when interviewed on WGR that whenever the topic of Skinner and his playing time and line he is playing on comes up as a topic he seems to bristle. The point he not so obliquely made on a couple of occasions is that the player needs to conform to his system and not have the system conform to the player. I see a conflict brewing here, and it may not be reconcilable.

I take your suggestion regarding the links and the outline of them. I usually do that but sometimes I am rushed. I will try to be more diligent on that front.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

The GM selected the coach AND paid big $ to the player right?  At present those two things are incompatible which is par for the course and Bots knows golf.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Hutton gave up an identical goal against Ottawa.  The momentum from his sweeping poke check takes him completely out of position and he has no chance of covering the net afterward.  Too bad because I had just said to himself that he was having a nice game.  

Elliotte Friedman from Sportsnet was on his weekly segment on WGR's Instigator Show. He talked about the circumstances surrounding the Simmonds deal and the trade deadline deals made around the league. He felt that Carolina helped themselves the most and thought that Tampa added depth to make their playoff run. He stated that he felt that Tampa will have to move players this offseason because of some of the contracts coming up this offseason. This was a 24 min segment with some of it talking about the movie Top Gun. This is a link where you can skip through some segments in order to more quickly get through it. 

The most interesting observation to Sabre fans is that he, like others, noted that Risto was being dangled in trade talks. It's my sense that our GM is going to make a big deal or two to reconstitute the roster. What that means is that he will address the necessity to upgrade the second-line. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-27-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Hutton gave up an identical goal against Ottawa.  The momentum from his sweeping poke check takes him completely out of position and he has no chance of covering the net afterward.  Too bad because I had just said to himself that he was having a nice game.  

It really doesn't matter how well he's playing if it's a close game.  He's capable of these moments on every single play.  I'd say he's prone to them.  And there's definitely been more than just those two stick swipe goals, I'm just not the type that can ever reference the exact game.